Surefire G2 received then put rechargeable oops

lukevsdarth

Newly Enlightened
:grin2:
Yesterday I received a SF G2 flashlight. I was excited with its brightness and concentrated beam. 65 lumens is pretty damn good compared to those Xenon japanese 90 lumens. Yet curious that i am I put rechargeable 3.0 cr123a. for comparision I have both 3.0 and 3.6 . The bulb burned out I guess no visible sign of burning. I checked it nothing thought it was a malfunction with inside metal contacts. Well had to take apart bulb assembly bulb not burned. What happened I used 3.0 batts. Later i checked the Powerizer 3V at 680mAh with a multimeter its 3.6 poop. Why?

Well no worries I order a G&P 6v G60 & G90 9V from Ebay couldn't find the P60 Surefire here in lower Texas in any store. 30 bucks in a Weapons store I bought the light for 31 bucks on Ebay.

Any ideas or comments? :whistle:

Fred

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
dont feel bad i did the same when i first came on cpf, every one was raging at how good the rcr123 from lighthound were. so i looked at them and me and my freind coulndnt figure out why they sold a G&P 9v bulb with the batts and charger so i just took the batts and charger and not the 0v lamp well big mistake when i put it in my 6v lamp so i learned my lesson and felt to stupid to post it here cuz i thought everyone would laugh at me. but at least you had the balls to post and admit your mistake.

dchao

Enlightened
Fred,

You should have read the warning on Powerizer's web site:

- Peak voltage of 3.0V Li-Ion will be 3.9 V after fully charged. Once loaded, cell's voltage will drap to 3.6 - 3.2V

- For some SureFire flashlight might burn the bulb due to higher voltage. We recommend to use our CR123 non-rechargeable battery instead.

What you need is just one 3.7V Li-Ion cell (such as the 17670) and with a 3.7V bulb. That will give you the brightest light for the G2.

See this thread for a comparison between 3.7V bulb and P60:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=108911

z96Cobra

Enlightened
You can find 3.0V protected rechargeable 123's fairly easily. I've bought the Ultralast brand @ Meijer and Frys and run them in a few of my lights. They don't last as long as a regular CR123, but I've got a spare set that I swap in while the others recharge. I've also got some Juice brand cells that are 3.6V~ and the only light I run them in is my Dorcy 1xCR123. It has worked great in that light, and I haven't ruined an LED yet!

Roger

dchao

Enlightened
Roger,

The OP was talking about the 3.0V rechargeable 123's blowing up the bulb.

Please read my warning above: "Peak voltage of 3.0V Li-Ion will be 3.9 V after fully charged."

It will do no harm to a regulated LED light, since voltage is clamped by the circuit to around 3.7V. However, incan is usually not regulated.

BTW: 3.6V Li-Ion will peak at 4.2V after coming off the charger!