PEAK
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wish List for Fenix L1D CE

Default Wish List for Fenix L1D CE

The newly released P1D CE looks to be an AWESOME light! But I'm probably going to be waiting for an L1D CE to come out. My large hands prefer the longer length and the clicky switch.

There seem to be quite a few CPFers who have voiced a desire for a few changes to the P1D CE including a lower low & removal of the SOS.

Personally, I don't mind having the Strobe or the SOS as long as there is not a limit to the number of functions the circuit can handle (ie max of 5 modes). But it seems to me that the the brighter an EDC can go, the more useful it is to have more brightness settings. For example, the HDS EDCs have four; the Surefire U2 has 6...

To have maximum versatility, I would propose that a L1D CE have 5 brightness levels. Obviously, if the circuit can only handle 5 modes, then do away with Strobe & SOS. If it can handle more than 5 modes, then leave them on at the end.

Proposal:

Min: 1-2 lumen
    Low: 10-15 lumen
    Med: 30-35 lumen
    High: 65-70 lumen
    Max: 135 lumen (or whatever the XRE bin puts out at a specified max current)

The P1D having levels at: 12, 72 & 135 fits right in with my proposed Low, High and Max. I wish the L1D CE would add a Min & Med, as listed above, to the levels.

Also, I do realize that since the battery could be anywhere from 1.2V to 4.2V (if it accepts Li-ion in direct drive or regulation) that brightness levels would be different on a NiMH vs Li-Ion. Not sure if I said this part right...

The more brightness levels there are, the more important it is to have a 'force' setting - remembering and returning to the last brightness level used. So, my wish list would include this feature too.

Also, instead of the there being a 1 cell body, and a 2 cell body, have a 1 cell body with a 2 cell extender (sold separately) much like the JetBeam does.

What does everyone else think / wish for?
    Last edited by DavidD; 11-30-2006 at 11:59 PM.

Enlightened

Default Re: Wish List for Fenix L1D CE

Quote Originally Posted by DavidD
    Exactly!
    But I'd be happy with just the min, high, max levels David said.
    Also, put the order of the modes as min, high, max or high, min, max.
    I don't think it makes sense to put low as the final mode (i.e. P1D). Circulating through all the modes to get to low is not intuitive.
    My $0.02.

Editted to clarify I want a min. setting.
    Last edited by Edro; 12-01-2006 at 12:14 AM.

Banned

I would just like really bright, and a lower battery conserving level. Hate how lights are trying to be so complicated now. For EDC I follow the KISS principle.

And I generally don't 'read books' with $100 flashlights.

Flashaholic

...remembering and returning to the last brightness level used.

Also, instead of the there being a 1 cell body, and a 2 cell body, have a 1 cell body with a 2 cell extender (sold separately) much like the JetBeam does.
    Agree wholeheartedly with the first two points above (but would prefer 3 levels max... preferably two - skip the strobe/SOS).

But it appears to me that AA lights made to accept more than one cell often end up with a circuit who's regulation is compromised when ran on a single AA - my wish is that the circuit be optimized for a single AA - with additional, dedicated circuitry developed for versions running more cells/higher Vin. Just give me MAX, flat-line performance, from a single AA.

Really, I guess an L1T-CE (with a 1-3 Lumen low) is all I'd like. Two-stage w/tailstanding clickie.

KISS, indeed!
    Last edited by Moat; 12-01-2006 at 12:50 AM.
    Bob

I know this is going to sound like blasphamy, but with the release of the Cree XR-E we are now at the point where lumens can exceed the function of your standard pocket light.

Also, having more than a low, medium, and high setting starts to make real usage an issue.

For example, if you are using your XR-E pocket light in the complete dark, do you really want the first setting to be full-on high at 80-90 lumens?! You'll lose your night vision along with everyone else in the room. Certainly anyone on the receiving end of the light is going to have some temporary blindness.

That's great for a Tac-light, as you only want full-blast. I will certainly purchase a L2P/S/T CE or a P1 CE with a tail clicky if they ever come out.

But on your standard use light, how often do you really use ~80 lumens around the house?! I bet not so often. I find myself either needing ~2 lumens or ~15 lumens for most things. Those 2 settings cover 95% of my lighting needs.

I think the XR-E creates a new challenge for flashlight manufacturers, and they need to seriously consider the practical limits and real usage when it comes to design. How many modes are really necessary?! Keep it simple.

For my general use flashlights, I'd much rather have an underdriven XR-E max out at 30-40 lumens and get 3 times the runtime. For specialty use, you bet, give me that full blast blinding 90 lumens!

^^ I can't agree with you, I can always use over 60 lumen anytime in my house or at work. The brighter the better. I DEFINITELY don't want to "twist" my way thru all the modes to get to the one I want. IMO Low for battery saving, Hi for max. Quick and simple access, hint, L1T with Cree
    L2T/123|Civictor (polished)|Luxogen LR12|P1D-CE/kooter/McR17XR (polished)|L0P-SE|D-Mini|Boxer 24W HID|L1D-CE/P2D|L0D-CE|Quard USW0I 1C|LM631|A-mag 1C@1.2A flupic|MRV|Thor X Colossus|P2DQ5|KDAAASSC

In the L0D and P1D it is possible to go to OFF from any mode bypassong modes not used. If the default level is what is used most often then it is a simple
    Twist >on
    Twist >OFF

A L1D would require cycling through all the modes:
    Click >low
    Click >medium
    Click >high
    Click >strobe
    Click >SOS
    Click >OFF
    6 clicks to turn a light on and off is too much for me.

I would prefer a L1T-CE with a twist level selector and a clickie on off.

A L0D-CE makes a lot of sense if Fenix makes the default at 12 lumens. This would double runtime to 4 hours. A low in the 3 lumen range would allow the light to last all night in an emergency. This would make it unnecessary to carry a bigger light for most people. Fenix could leave the high at 350 mA to give 60 lumens.

What I like about the L1T is the bezel select and click to switch. This works best with 2 levels but may just manage 3 I guess. I'd like a low of 5 lumens, yes it would be a bit bright for reading in bed but it's very usable and I expect it would give plenty of run time in the larger form factor. Medium between the current high and low so about 40 Lumens. High full blast 100+.

For the L0D CE I agree completely with LED Ninja.

Flashaholic*

very low / low / med / high / slow strobe
    remember last setting, if possible

a version for 18650

Flashaholic*

The Fenixs are starting to get WAY to overcomplicated,I have no need for strobe, SOS-mode or five different light levels.
    I also like the L series for it's simple UI, tailclick for light, twist the head for mode, and next time you turn on the light, the same lvl of output is there, I wouldn't want Fenix to change that. For me 2 modes of light is fine, one low and one high. A medium level would also be nice, if they can fit that in the existing UI.

If they want to cram in 50 more different lvls, strobe, SOS, I LOVE CHEESE etc, fine by me, as long as they dont interfere with the basic modes in any way and it doesn't add on the price tag.

Rant ended.

But I guess I could live with all the modes as long as it has a remember last mode feature.
    Last edited by Lobo; 12-01-2006 at 03:23 AM.

Flashaholic

1-3 lumens low
    10-15 lumens medium
    60+ lumens high
    Tail cap clickie as they have already got but have the modes selectable by a twist ring or by twisting the head so you can put the light into the mode that you want before you turn it on. This will probably make the light expensive though beacause it is more difficult for the manufacturer to make a light with a physical selector rather than a digital selector. I hope my terminology is correct.
    I will probably buy the 2AA version of whatever light they come out with so hopefully high will be in the 100 lumens range. I've been EDC'ing a L2T for a long time now and i quite like the form factor of this.

I'm hoping for an L1T CE instead of a L1D CE. As others have voiced it needs to stay simple. Two levels of brightness is enough for most anything, and the L1T has an excellent setup. To add a third level it would probably have to go digital (whatever that means) and you'd have to cycle the switch to get your desired setting.

So my vote is for a two-stage setup; high and low (say 10 lumens) controlled by rotating the bezel and the seperate on/off tailcap clicky. I'd even pay extra to get a regular clicky instead of a reverse clicky.

EDIT: Hey it just occurred to me what some of you were mentioning about the reverse clicky being ideally suited for a "digital" version. The switch would still be a simply on/off for the primary mode, but the advantage of the reverse clicky would be the ability to then change modes with every half press of the switch. You can also turn it off at any time with a simple full click. Ok, I'll chance my vote if Fenix goes with such a version.
    Last edited by LowBat; 12-01-2006 at 07:16 AM.

I think the current P1D is just about perfect. The only thing I would change is that the light comes on in Low, Med, High. That way you can access the low mod without going through the very bright medium mode. I'm not complaining, just wish it was like that.

Flashaholic*

Some people are just never happy....

Just put it up for sale, 2 stage is fine with me. I'm waiting.

I think there is only one solution here to make everyone happy.

The P1D-CE must have a usb port adaptor. Screw the head into it, and re-program the light the way you wish with the included software.

Dang, I think I just gave away a brilliant idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R
    A BIG +1 to that.

Maybe one day flashlight will have a tiny USB port on them so everyone can be happy....

wow...I didn't even read tron3's post first.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by wotblake
    A BIG +1 to that.

Maybe one day flashlight will have a tiny USB port on them so everyone can be happy....
    No, that's just the point. Keep it simple, it's a friggin flashlight, not a space-shuttle. Skip the extra bling bling such as strobe, SOS. 2 stages is all we need.

Cool Re: Wish List for Fenix L1D CE

heah, i think it would be good AS LONG AS IT CAN USE 14500s, because if it doesnt, there is no way it'll put out 135 lumens off 1aa. also, thats why i'm waiting, i want a clicky

-David

have a 1 cell body with a 2 cell extender
    As long as the extender accepts 2 AA NiMH cells, I'm with ya!

Fortunately, whatever accessories Fenix doesn't offer, someone else will -

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R
    Oh, I would be very happy with the 2 levels in an L1T style, or 3 levels in an P1D style. I EDC an L1P with ONE level and LOVE it!

But take a look at the number of HDS EDCs out there - there is even the thread named as such. And it has 4 levels which seems to be very popular!

How big of a hit is the U2? It is my impression that a large percentage of people who like surefire and can afford them, get a U2. People love its 6 levels.

How many with FF3s? And other small lights that have multiple, user defined levels?

I am not being "never happy". Fenix started with 1 level lights. Then they moved into 2 level lights. Now they are coming out with 3 level lights that max out at 135 lumen. The U2 maxs out at 80-120 depending on bin and utilizes 6 levels. All I am saying is that if you have a large span of available lumens, it becomes more VERSATILE with more levels.

As far as clicking through 5 levels, not fun. But none of the other lights mentioned above makes you choose them in order. Maybe the FF3, I don't know. If you have a force setting, and/or utilize an HDS EDC type selection process - single click=primary, double click=secondary, etc, why not wish for more levels?

Too complicated for some? Keep it simple? Maybe. But those that have the other lights above seem to really love them. Just a thought...
    Last edited by DavidD; 12-01-2006 at 08:40 AM.

I would like 3 levels + strobe. clicky to activate/deactivate the light. rotate head clockwise to cycle from low to med to hi then strobe. And perhaps rotating the head CCW for either max or user selectable.

Flashaholic

My idea for the perfect small light.

I would like one that has a ring around the outside for continuous variability from 0 to full power, with a click switch tailcap. The ring would have a strong magnet in it and the inside of the light where the ring was would have small coils to detect the passage of the magnet in the ring. A microprocessor would detect the pulses and electronically alter the intensity setting. Under each small coil would be another strong magnet to provide magnetic detent of the ring. This setup would provide a waterproof variability mechanism, since there would be no opening in the body where the setting ring is. When you click the tailcap, the light just comes on where it was last set. The light would be programmable as to how many "pulses" constitute 0 to full power. That way I could just have 3 settings, or 50 settings. If I turn the ring past full, it just stays on full. If I turn it below 0, it just stays on 0. This is like all modern volume controls work on your car radio. You click the knob in to turn it on, and you rotate it to increase the volume. It has no stopping point.

To program the number of levels, simply set the light at it's lowest level, press and hold the power switch in, and keep turning the ring until you have moved it the number of "bumps" that you want to get to full power. The light can blink for each bump, indicating it is getting the message.

This way you can have an all on or off light, or one that has 500 different setting levels.

The light would also have a magnetic flat spot on it that I can use to affix it to my refrigerator, or any other spot where I have strateigically mounted a magnet (like my bedpost or my baseball cap).

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Moat
    ... Just give me MAX, flat-line performance, from a single AA.

Really, I guess an L1T-CE (with a 1-3 Lumen low) is all I'd like. Two-stage w/tailstanding clickie.
    +1 from me for this one! (Although I'm not picky about the low setting, up to 10 lumens would be fine with me.)

-Rick

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by CodeOfLight
    My idea for the perfect small light.

I would like one that has a ring around the outside for continuous variability from 0 to full power, with a click switch tailcap.
    [ ... ]
    This way you can have an all on or off light, or one that has 500 different setting levels.
    Sounds cool. Maybe for a P1D-CE "Ultimate" edition or similar. I think there would still be a need for a basic KISS model in addition. More choices = more better, right?

-Rick

Flashaholic

I keep thinking more and more about the L1p w/ cree that's listed on fenix-store.com, lack of details is the only reason I haven't ordered yet.

Ok it's lack of funds not details, but with details I probably couldn't resist.

Quote Originally Posted by tron3
    I think there is only one solution here to make everyone happy.

The P1D-CE must have a usb port adaptor. Screw the head into it, and re-program the light the way you wish with the included software.

Dang, I think I just gave away a brilliant idea.
    Can not tell you how much this is exactly what is needed..... No ones needs are the same, in fact most peoples needs change, ie your camping light needs are not the same as your everyday houshold needs. If it was easy to adjust the operation of the light you would have the start of a wonderfull future. As much sense as this makes and as much knowhow as there is in the industry I would have to think that a year from now this will be commonplace in high end lights.
    01001100011010010111011001100101001000000110100101 10111000100000011101000110100001100101001000000110 0100011000010111001001101011
    00101100000011010000101001100001011011100110010000 10000001110100011010000110010100100000011101110110 1111011100100110110001100100
    00100000011010010111001100100000011101000110100001 11001001100101011000010111010001100101011011100110 1001011011100110011100101110

Enlightened

L2D-SE - it will be nice. 2 cell body.
    voltage - prefer form 1V - for NiMH, no from 1.2.
    click - on/off
    light levels order - (if it possible - mark it on ring)

High: 65-70 lumen
    Med: 30-35 lumen
    Low: prefer 15 lumen
    Min: prefer 2 lumen
    Max: 135 lumen

Enlightened

I would also like a L1D-CE - I think the reverse clicky will finally make sense! Would love for this light to be able to use 3.7V rechargables.

I have an LOP-SE and would like to get an LOD-CE, especially if they make a few small changes.

1) Make the knurling on the head deeper
    2) Move the knurling closer to the end of the head
    3) Shorten the head length
    4) Tweak the threads to reduce freeplay between the head and body

The above changes would make the light MUCH easier to function one handed. I typically "bounce" through a few levels when turning my light on. I have no trouble with my Arc.

I would LOVE the ability to use 3.7V rechargables - I have seen AWESOME beam shots of the LOP-SE using them (briefly). 3.7V li-ion and a Cree would be awesome!! => would need to keep a low (5 lumens max) for theaters etc. . .

So all in all, I like the idea of the extra levels. I think there is a strong case for low to come first. I think a tailcap will be easier to cycle through more levels than a twisty.

Wonder if Fenix (or 47s) could bundle:
    L1D-CE
    LOD-CE
    2 AA sized protected li-ion
    2 AAA sized protected li-ion (have not seen)
    Smart charger

=> My birthday is in February. I can dream right?