Wish List for Fenix L1D CE

DavidD

Newly Enlightened
The newly released P1D CE looks to be an AWESOME light! But I'm probably going to be waiting for an L1D CE to come out. My large hands prefer the longer length and the clicky switch.

There seem to be quite a few CPFers who have voiced a desire for a few changes to the P1D CE including a lower low & removal of the SOS.

Personally, I don't mind having the Strobe or the SOS as long as there is not a limit to the number of functions the circuit can handle (ie max of 5 modes). But it seems to me that the the brighter an EDC can go, the more useful it is to have more brightness settings. For example, the HDS EDCs have four; the Surefire U2 has 6...

To have maximum versatility, I would propose that a L1D CE have 5 brightness levels. Obviously, if the circuit can only handle 5 modes, then do away with Strobe & SOS. If it can handle more than 5 modes, then leave them on at the end.

Proposal:

Min: 1-2 lumen
Low: 10-15 lumen
Med: 30-35 lumen
High: 65-70 lumen
Max: 135 lumen (or whatever the XRE bin puts out at a specified max current)

The P1D having levels at: 12, 72 & 135 fits right in with my proposed Low, High and Max. I wish the L1D CE would add a Min & Med, as listed above, to the levels.

Also, I do realize that since the battery could be anywhere from 1.2V to 4.2V (if it accepts Li-ion in direct drive or regulation) that brightness levels would be different on a NiMH vs Li-Ion. Not sure if I said this part right...

The more brightness levels there are, the more important it is to have a 'force' setting - remembering and returning to the last brightness level used. So, my wish list would include this feature too.

Also, instead of the there being a 1 cell body, and a 2 cell body, have a 1 cell body with a 2 cell extender (sold separately) much like the JetBeam does.

What does everyone else think / wish for?

Last edited:

Edro

Newly Enlightened
DavidD said:

Exactly!
But I'd be happy with just the min, high, max levels David said.
Also, put the order of the modes as min, high, max or high, min, max.
I don't think it makes sense to put low as the final mode (i.e. P1D). Circulating through all the modes to get to low is not intuitive.
My $0.02.

Editted to clarify I want a min. setting.

Last edited:

InfidelCastro

Banned
I would just like really bright, and a lower battery conserving level. Hate how lights are trying to be so complicated now. For EDC I follow the KISS principle.

And I generally don't 'read books' with $100 flashlights.

Moat

Enlightened
DavidD said:

...remembering and returning to the last brightness level used.

Also, instead of the there being a 1 cell body, and a 2 cell body, have a 1 cell body with a 2 cell extender (sold separately) much like the JetBeam does.

Agree wholeheartedly with the first two points above (but would prefer 3 levels max... preferably two - skip the strobe/SOS).

But it appears to me that AA lights made to accept more than one cell often end up with a circuit who's regulation is compromised when ran on a single AA - my wish is that the circuit be optimized for a single AA - with additional, dedicated circuitry developed for versions running more cells/higher Vin. Just give me MAX, flat-line performance, from a single AA.

Really, I guess an L1T-CE (with a 1-3 Lumen low) is all I'd like. Two-stage w/tailstanding clickie.

KISS, indeed! :sold:

Last edited:

Anarchocap

Enlightened
I know this is going to sound like blasphamy, but with the release of the Cree XR-E we are now at the point where lumens can exceed the function of your standard pocket light.

Also, having more than a low, medium, and high setting starts to make real usage an issue.

For example, if you are using your XR-E pocket light in the complete dark, do you really want the first setting to be full-on high at 80-90 lumens?! You'll lose your night vision along with everyone else in the room. Certainly anyone on the receiving end of the light is going to have some temporary blindness.

That's great for a Tac-light, as you only want full-blast. I will certainly purchase a L2P/S/T CE or a P1 CE with a tail clicky if they ever come out.

But on your standard use light, how often do you really use ~80 lumens around the house?! I bet not so often. I find myself either needing ~2 lumens or ~15 lumens for most things. Those 2 settings cover 95% of my lighting needs.

I think the XR-E creates a new challenge for flashlight manufacturers, and they need to seriously consider the practical limits and real usage when it comes to design. How many modes are really necessary?! Keep it simple.

For my general use flashlights, I'd much rather have an underdriven XR-E max out at 30-40 lumens and get 3 times the runtime. For specialty use, you bet, give me that full blast blinding 90 lumens!

LowTEC

Enlightened
^^ I can't agree with you, I can always use over 60 lumen anytime in my house or at work. The brighter the better. I DEFINITELY don't want to "twist" my way thru all the modes to get to the one I want. IMO Low for battery saving, Hi for max. Quick and simple access, hint, L1T with Cree

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the L0D and P1D it is possible to go to OFF from any mode bypassong modes not used. If the default level is what is used most often then it is a simple
Twist >on
Twist >OFF

A L1D would require cycling through all the modes:
Click >low
Click >medium
Click >high
Click >strobe
Click >SOS
Click >OFF
6 clicks to turn a light on and off is too much for me.

I would prefer a L1T-CE with a twist level selector and a clickie on off.

A L0D-CE makes a lot of sense if Fenix makes the default at 12 lumens. This would double runtime to 4 hours. A low in the 3 lumen range would allow the light to last all night in an emergency. This would make it unnecessary to carry a bigger light for most people. Fenix could leave the high at 350 mA to give 60 lumens.

Vinnyp

Newly Enlightened
What I like about the L1T is the bezel select and click to switch. This works best with 2 levels but may just manage 3 I guess. I'd like a low of 5 lumens, yes it would be a bit bright for reading in bed but it's very usable and I expect it would give plenty of run time in the larger form factor. Medium between the current high and low so about 40 Lumens. High full blast 100+.

For the L0D CE I agree completely with LED Ninja.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
very low / low / med / high / slow strobe
remember last setting, if possible

a version for 18650

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenixs are starting to get WAY to overcomplicated,I have no need for strobe, SOS-mode or five different light levels.
I also like the L series for it's simple UI, tailclick for light, twist the head for mode, and next time you turn on the light, the same lvl of output is there, I wouldn't want Fenix to change that. For me 2 modes of light is fine, one low and one high. A medium level would also be nice, if they can fit that in the existing UI.

If they want to cram in 50 more different lvls, strobe, SOS, I LOVE CHEESE etc, fine by me, as long as they dont interfere with the basic modes in any way and it doesn't add on the price tag.

Rant ended.

But I guess I could live with all the modes as long as it has a remember last mode feature.

Last edited:

leeleefocus

Newly Enlightened
1-3 lumens low
10-15 lumens medium
60+ lumens high
Tail cap clickie as they have already got but have the modes selectable by a twist ring or by twisting the head so you can put the light into the mode that you want before you turn it on. This will probably make the light expensive though beacause it is more difficult for the manufacturer to make a light with a physical selector rather than a digital selector. I hope my terminology is correct.
I will probably buy the 2AA version of whatever light they come out with so hopefully high will be in the 100 lumens range. I've been EDC'ing a L2T for a long time now and i quite like the form factor of this.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm hoping for an L1T CE instead of a L1D CE. As others have voiced it needs to stay simple. Two levels of brightness is enough for most anything, and the L1T has an excellent setup. To add a third level it would probably have to go digital (whatever that means) and you'd have to cycle the switch to get your desired setting.

So my vote is for a two-stage setup; high and low (say 10 lumens) controlled by rotating the bezel and the seperate on/off tailcap clicky. I'd even pay extra to get a regular clicky instead of a reverse clicky.

EDIT: Hey it just occurred to me what some of you were mentioning about the reverse clicky being ideally suited for a "digital" version. The switch would still be a simply on/off for the primary mode, but the advantage of the reverse clicky would be the ability to then change modes with every half press of the switch. You can also turn it off at any time with a simple full click. Ok, I'll chance my vote if Fenix goes with such a version.

Last edited:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the current P1D is just about perfect. The only thing I would change is that the light comes on in Low, Med, High. That way you can access the low mod without going through the very bright medium mode. I'm not complaining, just wish it was like that.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just put it up for sale, 2 stage is fine with me. I'm waiting. :)

tron3

Banned
I think there is only one solution here to make everyone happy.

The P1D-CE must have a usb port adaptor. Screw the head into it, and re-program the light the way you wish with the included software. :laughing:

Dang, I think I just gave away a brilliant idea. :huh:

wotblake

Newly Enlightened
Jay R said:
Some people are just never happy.... :shrug: :grin2:

A BIG +1 to that.

Maybe one day flashlight will have a tiny USB port on them so everyone can be happy....

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
wotblake said:
A BIG +1 to that.

Maybe one day flashlight will have a tiny USB port on them so everyone can be happy....

No, that's just the point. Keep it simple, it's a friggin flashlight, not a space-shuttle. Skip the extra bling bling such as strobe, SOS. 2 stages is all we need.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
heah, i think it would be good AS LONG AS IT CAN USE 14500s, because if it doesnt, there is no way it'll put out 135 lumens off 1aa. also, thats why i'm waiting, i want a clicky :)

-David