when to replace bulb

bcwang

Enlightened
Hi Everyone,

I'm just wondering if you guys replace your incandescent flashlight bulbs when they burn out, or if you notice significant darkening of it and just want to replace it to be brighter. Does it depend on which kind of bulb?

I've got a 2aa mag and it seems really dark even with new batteries, but it seems like the bulb just won't burn out. I'm not sure if it really is darker or maybe I'm just used to my surge. But the bulb does seem to be black almost.

I wonder if the surge bulb will get dimmer over time too or if it will just bust sometime without warning. I've got a PR base bulb 4 cell flashlight. It seems yellow and not that bright to me, but again this may be because of getting used to the surge. I've used this flashlight quite a bit and the bulb won't ever burn out either. I wonder if it's actually dimmed over time or if it's still as bright as before. I don't want to buy a new bulb just to find out there is no difference in light output.

I'm using nimh in all my flashlights by the way, I wonder if this has anything to do with the bulbs lasting so long.

Size15's

Flashaholic
If you are not happy with the output, and your batteries are new, try changing the bulb. If the output pleases you more, then it was time to change the bulb.

Of course, when I have six P60s to compare side-by-side, I can pick the very best beams for the SureFires I use most. I can also see my EDC [highest use] bulbs as they age.

Of all my bulbs, my original MN20 is grim, discoloured and has got bits on the inside of the envelope. I'm hoping to have photos of what an old bulb looks like for you guys.

For the record, the MN20 has seen heavy use in the M6 throughout my field-testing. Often running for 30 minutes+ at a time. Most unusual for SureFires.

Al

Brock

Flashaholic
Really if the lamp is working it won't get any dimmer. What might be happening is the glass envelope in the outside of the filament gets so blackened it starts to block the light, which causes it to get even more blackened. I tend to just run mine till they drop, even if they are dead.

As Al mentioned I do pick through the lamps I have to find the good one for my EDC light. And I always say if you have a spare you probably won't need it. The light will only burn out if it knows there isn't a spare anywhere near it
wink.gif

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bcwang:
Hi Everyone,
I've got a 2aa mag and it seems really dark even with new batteries, but it seems like the bulb just won't burn out. I'm not sure if it really is darker or maybe I'm just used to my surge. But the bulb does seem to be black almost.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I thought this was normal for the MiniMag.
wink.gif
Actually, both of the things you mention probably have something to do with it. If you have to use the MiniMag, get the Brinkman Nexstar lamp & lithium batteries. If you don't have to use it....problem solved.
smile.gif
wink.gif
smile.gif
TX
(I suppose getting rid of the Surge is an option too)