Help with EDC..

dbhn

Newly Enlightened
Like many, I am in search of the most fitting EDC light for me. What I am looking for is a pocket light (smallest possible), decent output (30 or so lumens), decent runtime on basic AA or AAA battery, one stage is preferred but would consider two stage if it meant a lot to runtime, WITH a tailcap pushbutton on/off.

Looking for the one light that gets tossed in the pocket most days and doesn't cost much to run. One hand, push button operation is very important. Many exist with twist switches but not many with push buttons.

A reasonable price is important too. Say $50 tops.

The Fenix L1t or L1s is the best I can find. And I've searched and searched. Are there any similar lights that are a bit smaller. 3+" is little big for my EDC pocket light.

I now carry a couple of different CR2 lights which are great but runtime sucks and they are tough operating with one hand.

1. push button. 2. smaaaallll. 3. good runtime. 4. everyday AA or AAA battery. 4. Decent output considering the other specs.

If my AA or AAA requirement is too narrow I will have to consider Lithiums but was hoping to get one fitting light that didn't take lithiums.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-Derek

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L1T is your best bet IMO - There's not much else out there in that price range with all the features you want.

Also bare in mind that the CR123 tube you can buy for an extra $20 will bring that L1T down to a tiny 7.2cm!

I know you wanted to avoid lithiums but it really is the best set-up for the LxT lights.

http://fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_44&products_id=48

Welcome to CPF
tinfoilhat.gif

CFU

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you want to trade one of your CR2 lights? Depending on what you've got I'd consider trading my Jetbeam. It is an AA light with 1xAA, 2xAA and CR123 tubes. It's got a rear clicky, and throws like a mother. It's worth a little more than $50 with all the tubes though.

Last edited:

dbhn

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Casual, I wasn't aware you could shorten the Fenix's like that. Might work out. Do you know what the runtimes are on the 123s?

Dammitjim, what are the dimensions on the JetBeam? I would only be interested in the shorter tubes (got other 2x lights). My CR2s are not worth as much as the JetBeam I dont think. I have a black Luxogen LR-10 (I think) from Waion and a natural finish Ultrafire. Both about 6 cm long and both 3 watt. But I'd be willing to give one up.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you know what the runtimes are on the 123s?

Just over 2 hours on high...but that's dead flat regulation, no dimming until it hits the 2 hour mark, then another 30 mins or so of rapidly dimming light.

Feed with good quality CR123's like Energizer, Panasonic, Sanyo ect for best performance.

I EDC'd one of these set-ups for a while...very nice.

CFU