Don't have a camera, as many of you know. Hopefully I can get one cheap on ebay sometime, don't care about megapixels, just as long as it works and is cheap!
But here is the details anyways. I tried to make it short and simple.
Ultrafire 602a (Fenix L1P clone). Cree XR-E P4 WH. IMS 17mm.
The top PCB where the luxeon/clone led leads are soldered to is epoxied down and didn't pop off. There is epoxy below this ring, and I didn't dremel down to see where it ends.
I dremed the heatsink ledges and into the pcb to accomdate the cree. I left a little of the HS lip to help align the cree on the Y axis so all I had to do was center by X. Cliped the postive corners of the cree to isolate the bottom, tinned the top pads first, then AA'ed it down. Then I soldered some more wires to lengthen the stock ones to the cree.
Next was to drill the reflector so the metal ring of the cree goes inside. Then grind the back side down and keep checking for focus. Once you are happy with the beam, don't go farther. I used a spare cree mounted on a pentium heatsink to check the focus, which will be used in another light (more on that in a few days) . Next you gotta sand/grind a bit around the top of outside of the reflector to reduce it's top most outer dimension. Not much just helps it go into the light better. Then you gotta grind
down on the outside bottom to clear the wires going to the cree solder pads so the led will go far enough into the reflector. The first "notch" for the wire I did fine, but then when I did the other wire, I knew how much I had/could take off and ground it at once and ended up getting the reflector too hot and some of the coating got a little spot where it overheated. Cleaned and re-assembled everything.
Now since the convertor sits up higher in the head, it wont make contact with the body tube. Grinding the head backside won't help, as the threads will bind on the battery tube after it gets to the area for the o-ring. Only solution other than removing some threads in the head is to lengthen the contact area of the body tube/converter-heatsink. I found 2 copper washers laying around, I have no idea what they go to, probably something car-related as that's another hobby of mine. They were just the right size with a large hole in the center. Put two in, and they rattle. Need more. So I took a peice of ~18gauge stranded copper wire and stripped it. That worked, so I soldered the wire in a ring between the two washers and filled the whole thing in with solder nice and solid. Re-cleaned it again with sandpaper and acetone, and dropped it in. Now we need the postive contact to come up. Solder isn't enough, so I found a spring and cut it in half, bent a nice little point for the battery, and soldered it to the center of the circuit board contact. Problem solved.
How bright is it? Well it's probably more than when I had the SX0H luxeon1 in there, which was really, really bright itself. Defiantly a lot more light, probably lumens in the high 40's out the window. And the window is glass on these lights not plastic. I already knew that by looking at them (flat and not scratched). When compared to a 123a ultrafire on li-ion and both are warmed up, the XRE mod beats it. When cold, the li-ion light is a little brighter.
Took me 3-4 hours to do this mod start to finish. With eating a meal included. Sure did suprise me with the extra work I had to do.
This will become a new EDC for me, along side with my ArcAAA. ~2hours of bright light from a single AA NiMh cell.
The WH tint is warm, and not really noticed unless you fire up another light next to it, or you are concerned with your white walls/papers looking really white. But remember this Cree is underdriven and not even at 350ma spec, so with that in mind the tint is not that bad!! It reminds me of a hotwire pushed at it's max whitness. If you are put off by white leds and their cold/blueness the WH tint will do you well. It is a nice warm-white tint and not pukey at all. Natural looking I'd say. However if you drive it at 350ma or even 700ma or beyond it should whiten up nicely. Reds look great with this tint.
I spent 5hrs non stop shoveling snow and ice today, and maybe got a little over 1/3 done. I'm not going anywhere for a while So I'll probably just keep modding away....