Is the U2 reliable?

sylvain

Newly Enlightened
After all that i read about the Surefire U2 problems, is it a good idea to buy one at this time? or am i better to wait until all the problems will be resolved?

Thanks

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love it!

I've gone through a few tail caps but it is still a favorite that I would never not carry due to reliability.

I know the tail cap is weak but, it's worked a hell of lot more than it hasen't :)

JimmyB

Enlightened
I carried mine on duty for about a year. I used it as a primary utility and back up light. It has never failed in any way. It's an older one that accepts rechargeables and didn't have a plastic sleeve. It's been beat up a bit but still looks ok and functions fine. I think for the most part (as with any light) if you're going to have a problem, it will surface quickly.

I personally don't think the U2 had any more or less problems than any other Surefire light. The "donut hole" is a non-issue for me as is minor tint. I think all Surefire clickies had problems, not just the U2.

With all that said, mine will probably explode tomorrow, but in the meantime I'm happy with it.

faucon

Enlightened
I also have an older U2 and use rechargeables in it almost exclusively. Except for Surefire's having to replace a defective tailcap when it was new, my U2 has been completely reliable and extremely versatile. I wouldn't trade mine for any other light.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm definitely going to wait. Wanted to get a U2.... until I read how many CPFers were having problems with theirs.' Not to mention the migrain headaches they've had in getting the problem fixed.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find it odd that a light can elicit phrases like these:
Manzerick said:
...I've gone through a few tail caps...
benchmade_boy said:
...the cheap clip broke:rant:...
faucon said:
...defective tailcap when it was new...
in the same posts with these phrases:
Manzerick said:
...I love it!...
benchmade_boy said:
...i never had any problems with mine...
faucon said:
...my U2 has been completely reliable...
I guess the problem here is that :stupid: . In any case, I really like my Gladius+FM34.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Manzerick said:
They say "love is blind" :lolsign:
Especially when you've been staring into a lit U2! :lolsign:

Seriously, though, I love watching people do that. It's like they don't expect light to come out, or, at most, not enough to throw a visible spot. :laughing:

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
sylvain said:
After all that i read about the Surefire U2 problems, is it a good idea to buy one at this time? or am i better to wait until all the problems will be resolved?

Thanks

Hello sylvain:)

When you need a reliable light, take a light which is simple, a solid construction. The fewer parts which can go fail the better. KISS principle:).

When you will need the light at home for playing....why not, but if you'll need a really reliable user in situations, where perhaps your life depends on the light (also there you have to carry 2 more lights)...I wouldn't go with such a complicated model = keep it simple as possible.

Best regards

____
Tom

faco

Enlightened
Before buying mine I also read many negative posts but decided to buy on anyway, I'm glad I did. I've had mine for about 6 months and it works fine, no problems whatsoever. I'ts the newer type with the inner sleeve. I feel confident it will keep working for many years to come.

sylvain

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your help!

Even with all the problems with this light, it is hard to resist....it looks so cool! And anyway, i always carry at least 2 flashlights with my Princeton tec Apex headlamp.

carrot

Flashaholic
In order to ensure your new (when you get it) Surefire U2 is reliable, I'd recommend putting it through heavy use for two weeks before you consider carrying it as your only light. I'm pretty sure that most U2 failures happen within the first few weeks.

HWilliam

Newly Enlightened
N=2, both perfectly reliable, with barely visible doughnut holes if I bother to look for them. I'll second the notion of heavy use at the start, and that applies to most anything and especially electronics. Most failures manifest themselves early on.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sent my U2 back in for RMA shortly after I bought it. It had a tailswitch that tended to jam up. That was almost a year ago.

The replacement they sent has been working perfectly.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
My U2 experience

Its a love/hate relationship. My U2 currently sits on my desk. Its a bit bulky to use as with a weapon and not small enough to add onto my belt. I keep a G2Z in a SF V70 holster for work and for EDC keep a HDS U60 on me.

The weakest link to the U2 is the tailcap. I also didn't like the clip so I ripped it off.

strat1080

Newly Enlightened
I personally don't think the U2 had any more or less problems than any other Surefire light.
There is no doubt that the Surefire U2 has had more problems than other Surefire lights. Its also to be expected. Its a very complex design with more things that can go wrong. I would say that most of their incand. offering that uses twisty tailcaps have proven much more reliable. There is just simply not very much that can go wrong.

Size15's

Flashaholic
JasonC8301 said:
The weakest link to the U2 is the tailcap.
Which is why SureFire redesigned the Clickie TailCap (and the Z57 too). The latest version which appears to have solved the issues can be easily identified by it's white (rather than black) innards. These TailCaps have been in production for some time now.

Al

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
My U2 is relatively new (six months old) and works like a charm from new. As far as headaches getting problems fixed, I frankly do not share this thought. My New Kroma was a bit defective in the press tailcap switch, Surefire sent me a replacement right away no questions asked...I´m sure they would do the same thing for a U2. I questioned Surefire recently on what I thought was an anomally in my MB20 battery holder for my M6 and they replied they would replace it if it gave me problems...no hassles.

GET YOUR U2 !!! you wont be sorry. If there is anything holding you back is the prospect of these lights becoming significantly brighter with the advent of new LED technology.