Surefire Packaging Boxes: Red/Black or Grey?

mikemigs

Newly Enlightened
I have coming across a SF L5 LED for sale - it is enclosed in a grey box, but I have seen others SF lights in Red and Black boxes. Is this to say that the grey boxes are of older stock? And if it is old stock, is there any reason not to buy an older L5? Seller wants US$150.

Thanks in advance.

Mikemigs.

JimmyB

Enlightened

JimmyB

Enlightened
Almost forgot, welcome to CPF!!!

party.gif

mikemigs

Newly Enlightened
Thanks JimmyB!

I ordered through Tactical Supply and even saved a few dollars compared to the other seller. Now I only hope they have them in-stock, since the grape-vine says they are all sold out from SF.

rookie

Enlightened
I don't think Surefire ever put the L5 in a Red/Black box. I think they only came in the Gray box, just like the L6, M3, and M4s.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

The only benefit of buying a L5 used versus new in box, is that the previous owner could describe the beam for you. L5s, like all of the 5W Luxeons, can vary with each light. Some have more noticeable donut holes that others, and the beam tint can vary from white, greenish, bluish, or violet. But as always, the beam's descriptions vary from person to person.

Best of luck in your purchase. The L5 is a great light.

Also, welcome to CPF!

mikemigs

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the details, Rookie.

Based on what you stated about varying beam patterns, donuts, and light color, what is Surefire's offical take on these issues? Do they repair/exchange these units if you approach them, or do they simply say that all the lights leaving their factory have passed all/any tests, and fall within manufacturer's specs?

rookie

Enlightened
About a year ago, I had a KL5 (L5's head) that was really really greenish and had a monster size donut hole. I called Surefire and told them this and asked for a return for a fix. They told me that it was somewhat normal for variations, but I insisted that I was not happy with it and it was annoying me like crazy. They told me that it might take up to 2 mos for an exchange. Regardless, I got an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) number and sent it in, with me paying for postage.

About 2-3 weeks later, they sent me a new KL5 in a blister package. I tried it out and it was brighter, with only a slight greenish tint, with a slight donut hole. I kept that one figuring at least it was better than the first one.

Hope your L5 turns out great.

Enjoy,

carrot

Flashaholic
All of my Surefires except for my M3T came in a red/grey blister package. Surefire rarely does much to improve a light over time (when they do it's usually a new model) so you should be ok even if it's old stock.

mikemigs

Newly Enlightened
Rookie: Thanks again for sharing your experiences with returning to Surefire. I can only cross my fingers and hope mine will turn out OK.

Carrot: Too late for me: I already went ahead and purchased from www.tacticalsupply.com for $151 with free shipping for a Brand New one.

Size15's

Flashaholic
carrot said:
Surefire rarely does much to improve a light over time
You couldn't be more wrong.
Keeping track of the inline (in production) changes is one of the most difficult tasks. So many changes are made - most of them are not visible - consider the KL1 for example and the fact that CPF'ers use 'gens' to be able to id them.

If you gave me a choice between an L5 that was produced in the first year and an L5 that was produced in the last batch run I would select the latest one. Well actually I'd buy neither since Christmas is just round the corner and I'm also going to SHOT Show in January and I'd rather save my money.

Now whether any changes that have been made are operationally significant to you is a different matter. In the vast majority of cases I would say not.

Al