What Flashlight did you bring to work today 9/11?

KenOgo

Newly Enlightened
I am curious how many of you brought a favorite flashlight to work in case of 9/11 terrorist attacks and why you chose it. I will start it off:

I am pretty certain where I work is not a target, and that's prolly all I should say about that. However, I came prepared with my new CMG Reactor Hi-Power White LED Flashlight. I chose it over my my favorite Z2 because CMG states that this light gives over 100 hours of usable light with 2-AA's and the first 10 hours will be peak brightness. I know if I got stuck in the building it will give me light for a long time. I have dropped it already, so I know it is sturdy and resilient. But I broke my cardinal rule, it is all black. I thought seriously about taking my Brinkman LX which is very shiny, but it will only give an hours with of light, and after all the people they found alive after days of being buried, I decided I would rather have a long-lasting LED light over a bright one in this particular situation.

So what have you all brought with you today?

PS - For the record, the CMG Reactor is one of the whitest LEDs I have seen, but when compared to non-LED light, it is still bluish. I still liek it tho.

MarcV

Enlightened
Photon II split-ringed to my Chris Reeve's Umfaan in my pocket. SureFire G2 in the briefcase.

Nothing special.

No terrorists here yet.

bwcaw

Enlightened
I don't have a job right now, but I have the same lights in my pockets all the time: SF e2, streamlight stylus, and Arc AAA LE. Sometimes I substitute an Arc LS for the stylus though. I also carry spare batteries in my pocket if I am going into town, just in case. I figure that the stylus will give at least ten hours of useable light, and the Arc AAA LE would give about 5 per
battery, so that is 15 hours of light if I don't carry any spare batteries with me.

Saaby

Flashaholic
I walked out and forgot my Brinkmann but I did have my Arc AAA...as I always do. That was all folks. I have a minimag converted to LED in my backpack and I am seriously considering stashing another light in my locker...

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Allways have the AAA LE on the keys. Put the ARC LS/123 in the other pocket and the Stylus in my shirt pocket.

To the person looking for runtimes, do a "All Forum" search on "Run-Time Plots". Should answer some of your questions.

KenOgo

Newly Enlightened
Hey webley445,

Glad to know someone agrees with me about the longer-running LED theory, what with me being a CPF newbie and all
grin.gif
Sadly, and STUPIDLY - I broke my own cardinal rule and brought this CMG Reactor with me - it's all black. And no I forgot the lanyard so I could sling it around my neck so I wouldn't loose it, as was my intention.

Also, glad to know you read the stories. That's right, black lights are so cool, but if you drop it B4 you get to turn it on, and it is a REAL emergency...game over.

Ya know, if you go to any flight school and read the FFA literature, red light is supposed to be the best light to keep from ruining your night vision. But that is from the FFA - the government! So who knows. I think I heard somewhere once that green was good also. Also, notice in some newer cars that at night the instrument panel backlghting is blue, like in volkwagens. It's neat looking, but I think Dim white and Red is most popular (in cars). I have not researched that in a while, so you just sparked an idea - I should experiment with blue, an green and red light at night. That is probably a whole 'nuther topic, indeed! Very good question! I will start researching that!

JohnG

Enlightened
A Photon 2 on keyring, Arc AAA LE and an Arc LS (2AA config) all white.
Fortunately, or unfortunately
tongue.gif
, I didn't need them today.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Wait wait...let me join for a moment in the whole 'nuther topic...

Saabs have a "Black Panel" button. Hit the button and all instrument lighting, short of the spedometer, goes away. Should you have a problem, however, like low gas or oil or something, you will still be alerted--nifty eh?

About night vision--this is my shot in the dark, I am sure it has something to do with wavelenghs--and red has much longer wavelengths than blue. Then again maybe it's just one of those things where everyone else (And the movies!) uses red...so you and I will too.

KenOgo

Newly Enlightened
Saaby,

That is VERY nifty. I am gonna check out a Saab now and see for myself.

Mayeb we should start a subj called Shot n the Dark to talk about nightlighting vs night vision. Or maybe "Spark in the Dark?" Good poitns on wavelength. I woudl love to hear from an optometrist or scientist what is best. I don't believe it just because a flight manual publisized way back when says so. The government are the same people that say this si safe to eat, then it gives you cancer, then it is good for you. So reading THEIR reason to use red light makes me want a grain of salt. I am gonna start another discussion, what do you think?

Back to 9/11 lights. I work somewhere there ought to be flashlights because it WILL (and DID) get dark in here. Once, the boss gave me a crappy no-name 2-d cell (because Ken complained about no flashlights around) that was so weak I told him to keep it. That's when I started "carrying" at work. That coupled with 9/11 scares makes me realize I CARRY a light to work. But I need one to LEAVE here. Hmm, what to leave...

WaltH

Enlightened
ARC AAA LE, Photon III Red, Mission Knives titanium folder, S&W 5904, AK-47 folding stock, 9 MM Uzi (God rest his soul), and photon plasma rifle. Oh yeah, a pack of juicy fruit.
Only the first two items in reality.

KenOgo

Newly Enlightened
WaltH,

9 MM Uzi (God rest his soul)...LOL! A good answer to Webley445's question "Finally, did anyone carry anything else extra with them today "just in case"?" Well, that AK-47 adn photon plasma rifle ought 'ta get it for ya.

Actually, I would have LIKED a G17 with M3 attachment. M6 would be fun, but you still have to compensate for range, and maybe even wind if you were near a blown air duct, which happens frequently to Halflife's Gordon Freeman, or outside. So if could forgo the laser for more runtime for the light. AK's are so cumbersome...

I meant to bring in my Gerber Multi Tool and Silver Minimag on lanyard in NiteIze holster, btu left it in car
frown.gif

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by KenOgo:Actually, I would have LIKED a G17 with M3 attachment. M6 would be fun,..... So if could forgo the laser for more runtime for the light.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Did I mention my shotgun has a laser and a TACM-III flashlight mounted on the barrel?

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
You betcha. M590A1. LE model. Heat shield, six round side saddle, Choate pistol grips, front and rear w/shoulder stock. Oh, and a Bushnell Holosight (I think Eotech makes them). Laser and torch switchs are pressure pads mounted on the grips.

KenOgo

Newly Enlightened
Oh Man, I LOVE the Holosight. I want one of those. And a terrorist to try it on
wink.gif
Saw one mounted on a G17 right after they stared milling them for accessories. The guy who had it couldn't shoot and I wanted to try it so bad, but he did not offer to let me shoot it, only hold it. It was at FOP Range, in Pleant Grove, AL. Do you know where that is? I see you are from 'Bama, the great state where not only can you bring your favorite light to work, you can take your gun to work! Well, in some places
wink.gif

Maybe next year, when I get an M3, I will bring it on 9/11 instead of the Reactor. When security freaks out that there is a glock 17 attached, I will just tell them, "Yea, I know, but it won't come off!" LOL!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I left the house this morning with the following lights:

Surefire Nitrolon G2Z with HOLA
Unnamed Prototype #1
Unnamed Prototype #2
Photon Fusion (Late-stage prototype; ~1-2 mos. to release)
Tektite Trek 400 EX40
Tektite Trek 6000 EX60
Light Cannon 100 HID
Zweibruder "cigarette" light
5 Gemlites, assorted colors
1 NUV "money detector"
Small Swiss Army nife with red LED
PT Surge
Oh, and a wallet.
rolleyes.gif

What? No ARC?!? They're standing by here. My "in test" lights must take precedence, and I was simply out of room to carry any more lights.

I did not bring any laser pointers or large knives in case there were security concerns or searches at the two memorials and silent precession which I was a part of today - and thankfully, there were no undue security issues.