Oicu812

Newly Enlightened
Check this out! An LED light for your faucet:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/gear/8122/

faucet_light.jpg

O

Skyline

Enlightened
Too bad it uses batteries. If it was designed with a tiny generator that ran off the flow of water, THAT would be wicked!

speederino

Enlightened
My wife came home with a box of four of these some months ago. They didn't fit on our sink faucets for some strange reason but I was able to get one to fit on our whirlpool tub. They are pretty cool for what they are - driven by some little coin cells and activated when water bridges two contacts in the body. The water certainly isn't as blue as in the picture unless you turn off all the lights in your bathroom. However, my almost-two-year-old loves the thing and always wants the water running while playing in the bath. Probably doesn't promote water conservation, but hey, it's a renewable resource, right? If I recall correctly, they come with two sets of coin cell batteries, I haven't had to change them out yet, but I think it has definately dimmed over time.

Oh, notice they show them affixed to faucets that come way up and out of the sink. If you have a relatively ordinary faucet that sits lower, think about the size of this thing before you buy. Even then, I couldn't get them to attach to my faucets, they were too big in diameter to fit up into where they need to mate with the threads. If your threads are more exposed, you'll probably have better luck.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
There was a thread a while ago about a similar device that changes colour depending on the temperature of the water from blue (cold) to red (hot)

Illum

Flashaholic
Skyline said:
Too bad it uses batteries. If it was designed with a tiny generator that ran off the flow of water, THAT would be wicked!

yes i would be....but hard water buildup the generator may be short lived, if your water pressure is higher than the flow standard you might risk burning out the led....and adding a circuitry for regulation may break the price point target...:ohgeez:

we can only dream :whistle:

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure one of us could easily figure out a way to power the device with larger cells like D size cells hidden under the sink. :thinking:

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice idea. Maybe one that changed colour or flashed to the beat would be good. I can see this application more in an indoor fountain (they do exist of course). No water waste and just a little power used for the re circulating pump. Still cool idea.