Dorcy 3-Watt at Sears

George1

Newly Enlightened
Sears is advertising the Dorcy Super 3-watt LED for 50% off - $19.99 instead of $39.99. Sale is this Wednesday and Thursday only. I don't know much about this light - is it a good deal on a good light or a good deal on an OK light? Any comments will be appreciated.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even at that price, this is still a better deal price per performance:

http://contents.fifthunit.com/html/products.5th/sku.851.html

But it'll take 1-2 weeks to get here from Hong Kong. Even with the wait, if I were to spend $20 on this type of light, the Blimp is the one I'd go with. Others have already bought the Blimp and are very impressed with its performance. The Dorcy just looks like a typical 3AAA 3W flashlight.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bright and eats batteries.
I wonder if a 14500,17500 or18650 would replace the carrier?Then you would have better runtime and flatter curve.I have used a 14500 in a 3 AAAA carrier.
3 x 1.5= 4.5 ,Lion = 4.2 out of the charger.

Anyone have one of these ? Can you measure the carrier?If it would fit it could be a great buy! LuxIII for 20 bucks.

Last edited:

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nimh would also give a flatter discharge.Id be curious to see that improvement!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
That same two day Sears sale has the 1 watt Endurable 3AAA for $9.99. I can't remember if anything has been said about this one. Suspect it's similar to the Dorcy Metal Gear, just a bunch bigger. Will check flashlightreviews and LED Museum.

Geoff

Any Cal.

Enlightened
I just got the 3AAA 1 watt endurable. PR base led module. Not that bright. I put it in my 3D mag for an emergency light. There was another thread on using the body for 3x123. Haven't tried that yet.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
PAB said:
It does work better with NiMH. Stays brighter longer. I bought it when it first came out. I don't use it much anymore. Too many other better lights for size and brightness.

Can you measure the length of the battery carrier? Could a 18650 be used instead?

oregon

Enlightened
Dorcy Super 3 Watt 41-4275, from Sears today (a black beauty, switch is superb, great center beam and bright spill, tickled with it):

Carrier is 2.25 inches, including metal collar with plunger contact (with plunger depressed into carrier).

All the best,

oregon
Dorcy3WattSears12-2007007.jpg

Last edited:

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Carrier 2.25 ,18650 is approx 2.5 inches, Are there any springs in head or tailcap that would compress to give a 1/4 inch?If so then a 18650 should fit as long as + will touch the inside top contact.

riversedge

Newly Enlightened
Paul6ppca said:
Carrier 2.25 ,18650 is approx 2.5 inches, Are there any springs in head or tailcap that would compress to give a 1/4 inch?If so then a 18650 should fit as long as + will touch the inside top contact.
What would be the advantage of the 18650 over 3aaa nimh's?

oregon

Enlightened
There is a quarter inch of space within the open end of the flashlight tube even without the spring-loaded contact pin on the top of the battery carrier being depressed (and, leaving out the truncated pyramidal spring, of course). However, the tail-cap screws inside the tube with a full 1/4 " of threads.

There is a 1/8" recess in the tailcap. This space has a diameter of 11/16". Not a 1/4" recess, as you might expect, inorder to accomodate the lanyard device and leave the outside end of the tailcap recessed so that the lanyard nub doesn't protrude and you can set the flashlight up as a candlestick.

The tube, holding the battery carrier, has a diameter of 7/8".

Would the 18650 nest/fit into the small tailcap's space?

If you only partially screw in the tailcap you would get the needed 1/4" space in the tube.

Dorcy3WattSears12-2007.jpg

oregon

Last edited:

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
riversedge said:
What would be the advantage of the 18650 over 3aaa nimh's?

There would be a big advantage in runtime,it would be way cheaper,Im getting 18650 protected cells for $6(I can recharge them1000time?),AAA 8 pack would cost more,Also I think it would be brighter and it would also have a much flatter discharge curve.Im guessing at least 1 1/2 hours,maybe 2 to 3 before it drops to 50 %.

Last edited:

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tube, holding the battery carrier, has a diameter of 7/8".

Would the 18650 nest/fit into the small tailcap's space?

I think it would,I may have to pick one up out of curiosiy and I like side clickys!
18mm =just under 3/4 inch

Thanks for the photo.

oregon

Enlightened
Paul6ppca said:
Thanks for the photo.

My pleasure and fun for me.

Please do get one. I would really enjoy seeing a mod in action.

Can you recommend a source for the 18650 battery? And, which charger should I get?

Thank you kindly.

All the best,

oregon

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
I stopped by sears and they were out! Bummer. I guess its up to you !

I got mine from e-lectronics.net Real good customer service and great prices! I paid about 6 bucks for protected 18650.I use the dsd charger he sells,IIRC is less than $12.99 http://www.e-lectronics.net/liion-universal-350ma-charger-p-246.html(can use r123 in this one)Id say hes right up there with lighthound!

This one is faster http://www.e-lectronics.net/charger-18650-17500-liion-cells-p-150.html but only for 18650 17500,r123 cant be used due to the higher charge rate.

This light looks new 18650 compatable and adjustable focus.http://www.e-lectronics.net/watt-silver-aluminum-flashlight-p-307.html

Please let me know if you try it.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Careful, the negative on these is NEXT to the positive on the back of the head, not in the tailcap. I wanted to do this with the Sam's Element, same body design. You would have to somehow get the negative from the back of the battery routed up to the head, and in contact with the ring on the PCB, without chance of shorting to the center of the PCB (positive). I can't think of an easy way to do it.

Hondo

oregon

Enlightened
Hondo thanks for the time on polarity. Much appreciated.

Paul I guess I lucked out. While I was in Sears eyeballing all of the torches a woman towing a clerk came down the isle asking about the 3 watt Dorcys so I pointed them out and she bought them all, the last two on the rack. I didn't squawk and mentioned that she had made an excellent choice. Then I went to the cash register and the clerk checked their inventory and it said they had five more. I turned to my left and on a small display, with miscellaneous non-flashlight stuff, were the last five. I bought one of these. Call and ask the clerk to verify inventory and have them hold it if they have one and you really want it.

Paul I really appreciate the tips regarding the batteries and charges. Thanks a million.

All the best,

oregon

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did ask,they were all gone .I wandered thru the sale section for xmas gifts.Only the 1 watters were there.
Looks like what Hondo say that this idea wont work.I guess NIMH are the best option.