Battery Type ID?

The-David

Flashaholic, Formerly KE7AYF
I read somewhere that someone got some cheep 168 LIONS from disassembling a dead laptop battery. So my Gateway 600 Laptop battery just died on me and I took it apart to find nine batteries. They look to be slightly larger around then a 123 and just a little bit shorter than two 123's (wont fit in my E2E, they are to wide). Out of all nine, three still carried voltage the rest were dead. It was11.1v 5700mAH Li-ion battery pack. That would work out to 1.23V and 633mAH per battery. They have a red sleeve and say "GKAFHH2" Then on the next line is seas "039067". There is also a random "C" and #4 around the body.

So anyone able to tell me if these are useful and what charger I would need IF I were to attempt to make them useable? Or should I just recycle them?

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello David,

They are most likely 18650 Li-Ion cells. The 11.1 volts come from arranging them 3 in series, and the 5700 mAh comes from paralleling 3 in parallel. Your pack is referred to as a 3s3p pack.

Each cell has a nominal working voltage of 3.6 volts and a capacity of 1900 mAh.

You will need a Li-Ion charger to charge these. They can not be charged on a NiMh charger.

Li-Ion cells have a shelf life of 3-5 years. After which they loose capacity. This life is independent on whether you use them or not. If you pack is less than 5 years old, you may be able to get some life out of them. If not, it is probably best to just recycle them.

Tom

The-David

Flashaholic, Formerly KE7AYF
SilverFox said:
Hello David,

They are most likely 18650 Li-Ion cells. The 11.1 volts come from arranging them 3 in series, and the 5700 mAh comes from paralleling 3 in parallel. Your pack is referred to as a 3s3p pack.

Each cell has a nominal working voltage of 3.6 volts and a capacity of 1900 mAh.

You will need a Li-Ion charger to charge these. They can not be charged on a NiMh charger.

Li-Ion cells have a shelf life of 3-5 years. After which they loose capacity. This life is independent on whether you use them or not. If you pack is less than 5 years old, you may be able to get some life out of them. If not, it is probably best to just recycle them.

Tom

Cool, thanks for the grate responce. Sooo thats why they were set up in the 3x3 setup. WELL mabey this will finley give me an excuece to get a rechargable set up.

Latest posts