How do I detect and measure RF/EM radiation?

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I maybe moving next to a rather large communications tower. I'm wondering what sort of radiation sould I be concerned about and how do I measure it? I'm guessing radio frequency energy and perhaps electro-magnetic radiation are what I need to be looking for. As I know very little about this stuff, I thought I'd see if we had some expects on board who could enlighten me. I'm also guessing a geiger counter isn't the right measuring device for this type of radiation.

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends on what sort of concerns you have.

If you are worried about violations of FCC regulations, just verify that your radio, TV, cell phone, cordless phone, etc. still work okay. If there's no degradation in their performance, then you are fine.

If you are worried about health issues, then I'm not sure what to tell you. Are there any standards? I'm betting that there are some standards regarding how much RF a microwave oven can emit, and I think there are some affordable instruments to measure this emission. Other than this, you may be left with more empirical sorts of experiments. For instance, if you can take a hot dog out of the fridge, set it on a plate on the counter, and it cooks just sitting there, then you probably have a problem with microwave emissions. :)

Those are all of the low-cost options that I can think of. The proper way to measure RF levels is indeed to use a spectrum analyzer, and that's not cheap. There are places that rent this sort of equipment, if you are interested. And then there's the question of what level of RF is acceptable. I know the specs for the industry that I work in, but I'm sure that the requirements for (intentional) broadcasting is different.

good luck,
Steve K

Outrider

Newly Enlightened
Hi Lobat Go to www.trifield.com and check out the "trifield meter". At $ 145.00 these work very well and have been around for years. Not a Lab Standard but will do what you want quite well.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
i read of some studies that showed a correlation between increased beta radiation and healthier offspring, longer lives and fewer diseases. If there's no annoying buzzing sound you should be fine. That buzzing sound is your brain frying, plus it's really annoying.

Last edited:

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just want to get a general idea of exposure levels. It sounds like that trifield meter is about what I'm looking for.

Thanks everyone! :)

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have to do EMI testing in our products. The product is fired up and a directional antenna is pointed at the object from a set distance. The antenna is attached to a spectrum analyzer where a spectrum sweep is performed. We always pick up a couple of local strong radio stations but they are ruled out because we do an ambient reading first with the unit under test not operating and then subtract the ambient reading when testing with the device on. Let me tell you, it can be a pain in a butt to find and seal the emi leaks in some of the devices.

Not sure of a home EMI cost effective testing solution.

Ordin_Aryguy

Newly Enlightened
Geepondy,
There's an old saying amongst those of us that have to take prototypes and make them EMC compliant, "Ambients are my friend." More than once I've blazed through a certification test because of the ambients "hiding" a few problem frequencies.

LowBat,
For the most part RF energy decays as a square root of the distance that you are away from the transmitter (this holds mostly true for unidirectional xmtrs, I believe.) Meaning, if you're 10ft away from the transmitter, then move to 20ft away (a doubling of the distance) the power falls off by the inverse of the square root of the distance you moved away, or 1/sqrt(10). You can see that it doesn't take too long to get really small numbers.
You're subjected to MUCH greater levels of RF by putting a cell phone right next to your brain!

Ordin

hopkins

Enlightened
A simple way to detect RF is with an AM radio. Walk around your home with
a portable AM radio, turned up loud and hold it near your computer monitor,
television, fluorescent lights, electric bed blankets, microwave ovens,
cell phone LCD displays, digital wrist watch, Regulated LED headlamps,
digital camera, etc.

Some devices emit RF when turned OFF but plugged in an AC outlet.

-notice non-regulated LED lights do not emit RF.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
well for what's it's worth I know when the Navy is on high alert because they increase the radar power which causes tiny interference dots on my DTV screen.. they are tiny little dots, about the size of a period. "." and are distributed in a 'dancing' grid pattern across the screen.. it's ominous when they appear, sometimes at night, you wonder what they're searching for out there..

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
is it just a cell phone tower? Those things are pretty closely regulated and even with a bazillion people using transmitters a few inches from their brain the studies that might show an effect are still so close to the nose level that there is unlikely to be any real effect there. So your exposure by living near a tower where you're a lot further from the transmitters isn't likely to do anything bad to you at all even over the long term. At least according to any of the current data. ;)

you will want to read the wikipedia article on the Inverse Square Law and understand that your exposure will be very small.

It's really not worth stressing over. If there were a real effect of living under the thing it would show up quite clearly on the data. Afterall there are a LOT of these things, especially in urban areas where people often live right inside an apartment with the antennas mounted right outside their bedroom windows.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
the electrical activity of the brain is so tiny that the most sensitive instruments man has made are needed to measure the magnetic fields they produce outside (!) the brain. see the 'squid' device-- http://www.lanl.gov/quarterly/q_spring03/squid_text.shtml

a little research turns up much to indicate that magnetic fields applied to the brain most definitely affect thought, and even the ability to discern truth from falsehood. I can't help thinking that the immense magnetic fields present in everyday life both man made and cosmic have a profound affect on our brains..

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I just want to get a general idea of exposure levels. It sounds like that trifield meter is about what I'm looking for.

Thanks everyone! :)

I've had a TriField meter for years and I like it. While it's not going to be anywhere nearly as sensitive as the labratory grade instruments, it will tell you if there's an unusually large amount of RFI or EMI in the immediate area.

Having said that, RF energy falls off in intensity with the inverse-square law. In other words, as soon as it leaves the antenna, the field strength goes way, way down.

hopkins

Enlightened
Hi Tedtheled - There was the scifi novel 'The Terminal Man' about putting
wires into a guys head to control his violent seizures. No inverse square
law reduction for that situation.
Whats seems to true is that people can think themselves sick as well as
spontaneously cure themselves, ie the placebo effect.
So lets not worry about low power RF from flashlights.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
the electrical activity of the brain is so tiny that the most sensitive instruments man has made are needed to measure the magnetic fields they produce outside (!) the brain. see the 'squid' device-- http://www.lanl.gov/quarterly/q_spring03/squid_text.shtml

a little research turns up much to indicate that magnetic fields applied to the brain most definitely affect thought, and even the ability to discern truth from falsehood. I can't help thinking that the immense magnetic fields present in everyday life both man made and cosmic have a profound affect on our brains..

they measure the miniscule magnetic effects because in order to measure the actual electrical (or chemical) signals they would need to open up your head and stick pins in your brain ;)

And yet we can put you in a MRI scanner with a magnetic field above 3 teslas (which is HUGE, big enough to pull an iron gas canister across the room and decapitate the tech standing next to the machine, this has happened and is one way that very large magnetic fields are really dangerous!) and you can sit there quite happily and the iron doesn't get pulled out of your blood (the iron as chemically bound in hemoglobin is completely 100% non-magnetic which is why anybody that wants to sell you a magnet to do something to your blood is selling snake oil) and the fields that run your thoughts inside your head remain completely unaffected by that.

Then there is the fact that there is a bit of a difference between magnetic fields and radio frequency fields. These things all interact very weakly or not at all in any level you're likely to experience outside of a laboratory (or some of the folks around here in the basements ;) ) Remember that the ability of microwaves to heat food was not discovered because of any effect it was having on people, but rather because the people working in operating radar dishes who were otherwise completely unaffected found that chocolate bars in their pockets would melt.

You are not so sensitive to low levels of electromagnetic, radio or magnetic fields. The reason we have government agencies is to find out how much before there is an effect. They do a fairly decent job of protecting us from poisonous levels of all sorts of things. They generally find the lowest level from something for which it has been demonstrated that there is no effect, and then decrease what they consider to be the "safe" exposure level another order of magnitude or more below that just to be sure.

So you're already being exposed to an order of magnitude less RF from those than has ever been measured to have any kind of effect at all.

There was a really wonderful "stunt" pulled in the UK a couple of years ago. There are always people who are worried about the effects of a new tower. After a new tower went up in some town the locals were interviewed about how they think it affected their health. Many people did claim that it had made them dizzy or sick or increased pain or various other vague symptoms. The joke was that they hadn't actually turned it on yet. So indeed, you can think yourself sick, but the tower wont make you sick. Do not let yourself worry about it! Worry and stress are far more destructive to both your physical and emotional health than a little stray RF.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
James, sure we notice when the RMI machine sucks up gas cannisters, or would notice if it pulled the iron out of our veins while lying there, but what about subtle, miniscule changes in thought itself? Nothing blaring and grotesque but just enough to confuse the line between right and wrong, (has been done in the lab) just enough to get you to think drinking that infamous glass of 'koolaid' would be just the thing to do right now..
even if the guberment did know about such effects, would you trust THEM to inform you?

and this minimalisation of the rf energy by quoting the square inverse law makes me wonder how come any Beethoven comes out of that little box at all..obviously some of the energy travels great distances to perform the miracle..

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
James, sure we notice when the RMI machine sucks up gas cannisters, or would notice if it pulled the iron out of our veins while lying there, but what about subtle, miniscule changes in thought itself? Nothing blaring and grotesque but just enough to confuse the line between right and wrong, (has been done in the lab) just enough to get you to think drinking that infamous glass of 'koolaid' would be just the thing to do right now..
even if the guberment did know about such effects, would you trust THEM to inform you?

and this minimalisation of the rf energy by quoting the square inverse law makes me wonder how come any Beethoven comes out of that little box at all..obviously some of the energy travels great distances to perform the miracle..

:D Beethoven comes out of the box because of the wonderfulness of the amplifier circuit which uses the miracle of the transistor or vacuum tube. Those are necessary to take the microvolts that the RF in the air are able to induce in the antenna and turn them into a voltage level which the rest of the system can work with :) You need the box because you have no tools built into your body to receive or listen to that kind of energy.

Just because we are able to build a machine that can detect a thing it does not therefore follow that the levels we are able to detect cause an effect on our bodies. The dose makes the poison. There was a measurable amount of arsenic and cyanide in whatever you drank with your dinner, there is a measurable amount of botulinum toxin in the honey you put on your toast yesterday and there is a measurable amount of gamma radiation flowing through your body right now. But none of it begins to reach a level when it will have an effect on you. Pump the levels of any poison or toxin high enough and it becomes toxic and poisonous but it does not necessarily follow that therefore any detectable level of those things is bad for you.

There is actually some good data now that shows that very long term high level exposure to cell phone radiation might cause the level of harm to rise above the noise level. Greater than 10 years of headset use daily. But its still hard to see. Science isn't bad at finding these things. They can measure very very small effects given a large enough sample and yet these kinds of exposures still do not rise above the noise far enough that they are certain there is anything there at all. But, instead of trying to cover it up and join a vast governmental conspiracy instead they publish their data in the open and continue to gather more data to try to answer the question once and for all.

I know the government and many folks at various universities have experimented with inducing mental things by injecting rf and mangetic energy directly into the brain. There was that guy at some university that can induce both the sensation of intense religious epiphany and feeling that "this means something!" even when it doesn't. But that doesn't mean that those signals can be broadcast from a cell phone tower. It requires more resolution to your head than that, you have to wear a helmet covered in electromagnet coils ;)

I dont know about you, but most RF energy passes right through me without any effect at all. My brain relies on both chemical and ionic/electrical methods of sending pulses around that are not so easily disrupted.

Nope, I'm not buying that it does anything to you until somebody shows that it does. Someday the government might pull out it's less-lethal crowd control fear generator gun based on some RF technology, but thinking that they can do anything to you through a cellphone tower is more suited to a novel... perhaps I'll write a novel about it :D