Recomend me a flashligt

-walle-

Newly Enlightened
Hi, i'm fairly new to the performance flashlight world, my Maglite D3 has served me quite well, but i feel it's time for an upgrade.
What i'm looking for is a flashlight mostly for outdoor use. I'm a scout leader, and we do a lot of themed trips, and military style games outside in the dark. One of the things i use my maglite for a lot is spotting people fairly far away in the dark, compared to a lot of the flashlights my friends use the maglite is excelent for this (yes i know your fancy 500 lumen lights could tear it a new one :grin2:) because of the focusable beam. A lot of the highpower flashlights i've seen around the internet don't have focusable beams, are the beams properly focused from the factory?
I'm out for a new flashlight that will be noticably better than the maglite. I'd really like to get something that can run off of 18650's since i have a ton of them just laying there in my fridge, and also 123a's will cost you your first born here in denmark :mad:. I'm looking to spend 100usd or so. Preferably including shipping to Denmark. Please post any sugestions you may have!

wholeflaffer

Enlightened
I'd hate to take a ten mile hike with a 3D Mag. There's a fair amount of useful light in a flea-weight Fenix P1 (LED-based, 1xCR123a lithium battery), and plenty more in 4xAA or 2xCR123a incandescent or LED lights. I would suggest that you "Be Prepared" to spend up to about $40 or so for something along the lines of a Streamlight 4aa Luxeon, or perhaps a Surefire Nitrolon, or many, many other alternatives. Spend a little time here on CPF and you'll see!!

-walle-

Newly Enlightened
Thank you very much for the info!
I'm not quite sure i understand the whole luxeon V thing though, is that the 5W?
Also, what do you mean by two switches?

Edit:
I've hiked upto 30km in a day with the d3... yes it is quite heavy:mad: I'm more than comfortable spending over $40 for a good light :)

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
How about a ROP 2C? I don't remember exactly what goes into the mod but it requires a Maglite 2C, Pelican lamp, two 18650's, a short section of PVC pipe, and an aftermarket reflector. Should cost about $100 or maybe less.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Maglite 2C ROP would fit the bill!

Something close to 700 lumens out the front vs about 30-40 for your 3D maglite.

An ROP is a Maglite running a Pelican lamp designed for this light:

http://www.pelican.com/lights_detail_accessories.php?recordID=3850LA

It does require that you pick up a metal reflector as well. It will run very nicely off of 2 18650's, as long as they are high quality cells, preferably from LG.

There is a big thread here:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/120462

Hope that helps!!

Bill

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
If runtime is your top priority I might recomend a Streamlight 3c lux light. It has good throw and a decent spillbeam and will run 7 hours on full regulation. It is also inexpensive.

Another option would be a Streamlight tl3 with batteries and a charger from AW (you can find him in the dealer section) The batteries you would need are 17500's and you need 2 to power the light. If you buy four, you would have 2 hours of a bright focused spot and a decent spillbeam. It should be 2&1/2 times brighter than your light now and uses cheap bulbs (1 extra comes hidden in the light) and the whole setup will cost you way under $100.00 I also like that you can run on 123's if you needed it to.

Others here can problobly recomend something that works with the batteries you have. Good luck!

blahblahblah

Enlightened
-walle- said:
Thank you very much for the info!
I'm not quite sure i understand the whole luxeon V thing though, is that the 5W?
Also, what do you mean by two switches?

Edit:
I've hiked upto 30km in a day with the d3... yes it is quite heavy:mad: I'm more than comfortable spending over $40 for a good light :)

A luxeon V or luxV is commonly referred to as a 5w led (even if it is not drawing 5w of power :shrug:).

2 switches refers to the 2 switches they provide. One is a 'reverse' clickie. One is a momentary on by pressing or constant by twisting.

-walle-

Newly Enlightened
Thank you so much everyone! Yes that ROP does fit the bill, i think that's what i will buy! The cells i have are Sony 3.7V i can't remember if they are 2400mAh or 2500.

Edit:
One question, will the mag be manually focusable anter the installation of a new reflector, or will i need to shim the reflector?

Last edited:

iced_theater

Enlightened
The reflector is adjustable, but it's more of a set it and forget type of adjustment. With the usual aluminum reflector you would get, it doesn't have the tapered bottom like the stock reflector, so it will adjust but it takes a lot of turns to do so. Though I do think there is an aluminum reflector that is like stock, I'm not sure on where to buy one though.