Would like to see a Fenix powered by a CR2 battery. Would you?

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it would be neat to have a Fenix flashlight powered by a CR2 battery. Maybe one that would even take RCR2's. Heres what I have in mind. A design kinda like the P1 twistie with a 3 watt led. Maybe even the cree led?? There seem to be just a handful CR2 lights and some are very expensive. I think Fenix could design one at a resonable price.

Just a thought how bout you guys?????????????

:popcorn:

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
i've discussed the CR2 concept with both Christina at fenix and David C.

while interested, there was concern that there would be enough CR2 buyers.

here's how i answered that question when it was brought up-

"reguarding a Fenix P1 version in CR2 and the number of interested CR2 users -
there are lot of us! some of the most expensive and desireable lights are available only in CR2 and many of these lights sell for hundreds of dollars. many other lights made for such batteries as the CR123 but have the option of using a smaller CR2 battery holder. some of the more well known and expensive CR2 flashlights are the: Ion, JiL, all the KI versions, PEU Neoca, Orb Raw, Jetts22, Arc LS, Firefly, AmLite Neo T3 and the hopefully soon to be released production Larry Light. then there are all the inexpesive CR2 lights which include the Luxogen LR10, AdvanceMart 050-CR2 , Vortex KC1, F&L J1, NexTorch, among others.
all in all, the great thing about all CR2 lights are how tiny and lightweight they can be and how they fit so beautifully on a keychain."

i guess they need to hear there's an actual demand from buyers before anyone commits.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Me, personally? No. I prefer standarbatteris like AA, AAA etc. But I'm sure there are plenty others who would want one.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really don't see the need for one when you have CR123 cells that have twice the capacity and are only a little bit larger. I personally would love to see a 2C Fenix light with a Cree. It doesn't need to have all sorts of levels or anything, just a single high output (maybe 550ma) and good heatsinking and perfect flat regulation.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, but thanks for asking. AAA flashlights are as small as I need.

LowTEC

Enlightened
Well, if they can come up with a clickie CR2 flashlight as light as my Luxogen and the HA coating to last as good, with perfect beam pattern and a Cree inside, I will be all over it. and I don't need the 5 modes

Last edited:

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Back around the first of the year, a CR2 tube was made for the L2P..and no I don't remember who made it. Here is my runtime plot for this light:

l2p-cr2.jpg

Here is some side-by-side so you can get a feel of just how SMALL the F2P/CR2 actually is! From left to right:

L1P 1xAA,L2P/CR2 1xCR2, Nextorch MM 1xCR2, Vortex KC-1 1xCR2, Advancedmart 050cr2 1xCR2, and Fire~Fly II 1xCR2

f2pcr2.jpg

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Absolutely no interest at all. A single CR123 light is small enough as it is.
While there seems to be a 'smaller is better' fashion trend in electronics in Asia over the years, I prefer something I can hang onto.

light_emitting_dude said:
Just a thought how bout you guys?????????????

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
As LEDs become ever more efficient, CR2 lights become more and more compelling for EDC.

I like CR2 lights myself, and would really like to see some reasonbably priced multi-level models.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a couple L2P w CR2 tubes and put the 2 stage switch in them, runtime
wasn't super long but I like the light's alot. All in all 123's probably are a better cell,
I don't know how well CR2 would work with Cree.I agree with was blinded, I like
the CR2 platform also.:naughty:

Last edited:

x2x3x2

Banned
i personally do not see major advantages of CR2 vs CR123. size not so much as far as normal hands go, plus the capacity takes a major step down... i cant think of any applications which makes use of the negligable size difference of CR123 vs CR2. :p

Last edited:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
YES! I've got quite a few CR2 based lights and I think they are great but most have been fairly expensive. A nice Fenix CR2 like the P1D or P1D CE would be great. Sometimes having a light that is just a little bit smaller makes it SO much better - not to mention how impressive such small lights are when they put out about as much light as a 4D cell Mag light.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cant say i am crazy about the idea.

I have a bunch of those little wonders and the small battery just doesn't have enough energy in them to keep me interested for long enough. Maybe with the new more efficient cree emitters the runtimes will get better.
Small is cool I like more power and the throw of larger reflectors.
Yaesumofo

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeh why not. I would need to see it first and of course now that I'm spoilt it would have to have multi levels and a Cree but yeh I would buy it.

bill_n_opus

Enlightened
It would be interesting ... but 123's would be as small as I would go ... and I still basically stick with AAA.