BlackShadow
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spyderco, Kershaw, or Benchmade...?

Flashaholic

Default Spyderco, Kershaw, or Benchmade...?

Who has the better reputation for quality?

Okay edit- Now how does Kershaw compare
    Last edited by EsthetiX; 12-07-2006 at 04:36 PM.

Flashaholic

Default Re: Spyderco or Benchmade...?

Double post.
    Last edited by Ignoramus; 12-06-2006 at 09:42 PM.

Flashaholic

There are solid cases for both sides. Neither have a reputation for anything except great quality from most experienced knife users. I've found that style and company values are 2 of the most important factors that experienced knife enthusiasts look at when deciding between the two.

go with benchmade they may cost more but you get grerat quility and you can send it in to be sharpend for free (as long as you pay for shipping) and i dont think spyderco does that.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by benchmade_boy
    go with benchmade they may cost more but you get grerat quility and you can send it in to be sharpend for free (as long as you pay for shipping) and i dont think spyderco does that.
    Both Spyderco and Benchmade will sharpen knives as long as you include $5 for return shipping.

Flashaholic*

I think you would be better served to ask which knives will fit your specific needs and state what those needs / wants / requirements are. Of course there are die hard BM and Spydie fans, but I think most of us recognize that each manufacturer has good models, some better and some worse than others.

I have several of each and each one is good for its individual merits. Like flashlights, if you think that you're gonna get by with buying just one, you're sorely mistaken. Tell us what you want and you'll get more suggestions than you'll know what to do with them.

dont get me wrong i have seriosly looked at spyderco knives but i cant find any models that look "normal" like benchmades are, i meen they might fit for some peoplle but almost all benchmades are for real users not ones that you keep in your vault for years, benchmades are made to be used i just dont really see any practical spydercos.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by kitelights
    I think you would be better served to ask which knives will fit your specific needs and state what those needs / wants / requirements are. Of course there are die hard BM and Spydie fans, but I think most of us recognize that each manufacturer has good models, some better and some worse than others.

I have several of each and each one is good for its individual merits. Like flashlights, if you think that you're gonna get by with buying just one, you're sorely mistaken. Tell us what you want and you'll get more suggestions than you'll know what to do with them.
    Actually I was only curious about what company has a better rep for quality. That's all. Not looking for any buying advice. Thanks for you input though.

Both companies have a great reputation for quality. You pretty much can't go wrong with either one.

Do you like one handed opening and a pocket clip?If you do stcick with the one that started it all Spyderco.

Also benchmade will only sharpen plain edge no combo or serrated.

Enlightened

You can't go wrong with either one. I have several Benchmades and a Spyderco Native, and I wind up switching off.
    Peak Ranier, Matterhorn, Caribbean, Inova X5-T, Fenix L1P, Nuwai Q3, Orb Raw 1W, CMG Ultra G

Both are great no doubt about that, but for me there is something about spyderco and their commitment to customer service that wins my vote. They really seem blunt and honest about their products (ie on their website they state improved design). I'm currently rockin a 93mm blue spyde rescue model and highly recommend it. Its got a massive trademark round hole on it, which makes it soooooooo easy to open with one hand. It comes sharp and holds its edge pretty well. I got mine off of ebay for around 50 shipped.
    Take risks because if you don't you'll never know...
    Arc AAA-P(at least the old P), Wolf Eyes 6a, MAG 6D, Jet Beam C-LE, Wolf Eyes D2AX , 2D M@glite ROP. Everything else is crap or at least now it is...

Flashaholic

Spyderco use Crucible's S30V - greatest steel ever made...

Bring it on, steel freaks, I'm ready...

Wolf Eyes Raider 9DX / Surefire L2 / Novatac 85P / HDS 42XR / Peak LED Caribbean brass / Fenix L2D Rebel / Peak LED Matterhorn 3LED HA / Inova X03 / Inova X5 / Fenix E1

Ok your getting advice from benchmadeboy (keep in mind his name) that benchmades are better, possible benchmade fan? Maybe, lol, and advice from rycen (who has the spyderco logo as an avatar (again possible spyderco fan) maybe justa bit...so these responses are biassed...Don't get me wrong these guys love their brands and are faithfull to them and both have their own opinions on what are good useful knives and that is great! But I believe your original question was who has a better reputation for quality, and the answer is both equally, there are just as many benchmade fans who will back up their company as there are spyderco fans and all of them will tell you that customer service and quality control is top notch in both companies...SO, if your thinking about buying a new knife from one of these companies go with whatever you like more as far as designs go...

kitelights post said it all, I am just agreeing with the post...By the way guys (benchmadeboy and rycen, not trying to single anyone out or critizize, just trying to make a point, nothing personal)

by the way benchmadeboy, I love both companies equally but I have to say that I EDC bechmades as well as spydercos and I love my Endura 4, no its not very "normal" looking as you put it, but it does perform just as well if not better than many other knives in its class...so spydercos are practical...at least some of the designs are!

Now........................If we were talking about balisongs (butterfly knives) then benchmade blows spyderco out of the water, lol, but thats another story....
    Last edited by cutlerylover; 12-07-2006 at 05:58 AM.
    - JEFF

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalohump

lol, well benchmade also uses S30V as well as D2 and M2 is some of there knives...So they too have good steel...like I said I think tis just about preference...If you belong to anyh of the knife forums you will already know that this has been an ongoing war between benchmade fans and spyderco fans on which company is better, lol, and the most recent (stupid in my opinion) argument was about the spyderhole...and the question in case some of you don't know was "Did benchmade steal spyderco's spyderhole?" which again for you flashaholics is the cuout hole in the blade in which is used to open the blade...Which was suppose to be spydercos trademark, and benchmade used it on a new model...and in the end both companies declared that there was no problem and that an arrangment was made, whatever that means...

Anyway the knife forums were packed with drama over the issue for a while...but it was entertaining to say the least...
    - JEFF

Wink2 Re: Spyderco or Benchmade...?

Gimme BG42 any day!

My guess is, you won't go wrong with either.
    Sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

Well I might be a little biassed but that does not change thw facts I stated above.

I didn't know that Benchmade won't sharpen serrated blades...but I trust you on that I know your a fellow knife nut like myself! But us knife guys don't care about that anyway since we sharpen all of our knives ourselves...

p.s. I sharpen my knives on the spyderco sharpmaker...So benchmade wins for balisongs but spyderco wins for sharpening system...tie score...lol
    - JEFF

Flashaholic

I agree that personal preference is key for what's "best". In what ways would you say S30V is superior to INFI and BG42?

I have both, both are top quality. They are equal in my experience so whatever your pleasure.

I asked this to "Max" the Multivac computer we are training to take over the world and Max said the answer is impossible to answer so he defaulted his answer to 42.

I rotate a BM Mini griptilian and a Spydie Delica4 as my EDC knife and I love both, they are so good in different ways that I miss one or the other when I carry one.
    About Spyderco's not being "normal" I disagree, the Delica can do all sort of normal stuff like cutting, chopping, opening boxes, cutting cord, etc.

Luigi

Flashaholic

Default Re: Spyderco, Kershaw, or Benchmade...?

Well after seeing what people say from both sides I can conclude the 2 companies are equal and more a matter of perference.

I'd now like to know if Kershaw is equal. What are your opinions?

PS. Please don't laugh at me haha

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by benchmade_boy
    i just dont really see any practical spydercos.
    That's funny.

I think Spyderco and Benchmade both have excellent quality. Every now and then one bad one will slip by the QC inspectors, but everyone has a bad day.

Kershaw is getting to be an equal. They have some very nice knives now, and more coming out.
    Don't forget the Emerson's.

Blades
    --Jason--
    #67/#39

Both. This is a bit like asking who makes better cars, Honda or Toyota? Both Spyderco and Benchmade make really good knives, OK knives, and inexpensive knives, and within a given catagory I would say the quality is fairly comparable between the companies. Spyderco might have a slight edge on price. I have a few more Benchmades than Spydercos, but that's just based on personal preference issues like handle shape, etc

While I was typing you added in Kershaw. Kershaw is a good company that backs their product with a no-nonsense lifetime warranty. I would put their products at a similar quality level with Spyderco and Benchmade, but with the important caveat that most of Kershaw's offerings are at the low end of the price scale and should be compared with similar offerings from the other companies. The low-end Kershaw knives use a fairly soft steel that sharpens easily and takes a keen edge, but won't hold it for long. I have a 440V Kershaw that takes a very nice edge and holds it, but it's not easy to sharpen.
    Last edited by mahoney; 12-07-2006 at 07:59 PM.

Flashaholic

kershaw is probably equal too, it has great quality. One big characteristic about their blades is that a majority of them are assisted openers, again just preference and legality.

01001001001000000110010001101111011011100010011101 110100001000000 11010110110111001101111011101110010000001100010011 01001011011100110 00010111001001111001001000000110001101101111011001 0001100101001011 00001000000110100100100000011010100111010101110011 011101000010000 00111010101110011011001010110010000100000011000010 010000001110100 01110010011000010110111001110011011011000110000101 1101000110111101 11001000100001001000000011101000101001

Yes Kershaw is getting better and better and they do have very nice knives in their line, but keep in mind ofr the same price a Kerhsaw knife might not have as good of a steel as Benchmade or Spyderco uses, not every knife but generally Kershaws in the cheaper rpice range like $60 and under use cheaper steal, still works just fine for normal use but if you want to nit pick thats their only set abck in ym opinion, some of their designs make up for the steel though! If you Really want to use your knives ALL the time you might want to go with a more expensive Kershaw or stick with a benchmade or spyderco...but many of the cheaper kershaws are great for light work like opening mail, cutting strings off your shirt, opening up packages, etc...

Now there are MANY knife companies out there and some of them make awesome knives in many different price ranges...so Benchmade and Spyderco even though most known companies to many people are only the tip of the iceburg in the knife world!
    - JEFF

Often overlooked is the Victorinox Swiss Army Knives, especially ones like the One-Handed Trekker and other one-handed lockblades.

I have both Benchmade and Spyderco. Both make great knives and I'd never say Spyderco is impractical. Quite the contrary, I find that the design of the Spydercos makes them more conducive to utility...

I don't know about Kershaw. I am not really a fan of assisted opening, but the Onion knives (Leek, Scallion, Chive) seem pretty enticing.
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

$$$ vs $$$ I would say bench made and Spyderco are equal when you rate a $80 benchmade vs $80 Spydie. Benchmade is making some $200 and up knives now and that is unfair to compare a $80 dollar knife against a $200 knife.

I like both, I find that many benchmades have too many lines and angles and are ungainly to me. Some of the newer oddly shaped Spydercos also offend my senses.

I do not find the Kershaws to be as well made as the others. They seem to have a bit more rough edges and little bit more grit feeling in the actions than i would expect. I looked at two today when out shopping and both were AUS 8 steel, had inconsistent edges, inconsistent polishing and just did not lock up tight like I would expect them to for the money.

Best knife for the money in this group is either the wally world Native or a discounted delica. both at or very close to 40 bucks. hard to go wrong with that. and the Native is made in the america.

I would choose either Benchmade or Spyderco over Kershaw for sure. Generally speaking, Spyderco has a slight edge over Benchmade for prices, but Benchmade knives generally have a nicer fit and finish.

That said, the cheaper Spydercos might be a little more rough, but they are no less functional or rugged. The Spydercos might look more weird or ugly to most, but they'll cut and take a beating as well as any equivalent Benchmade. I would liken Spyderco and Benchmade to Toyota and Lexus respectively, in terms of utility and fit/finish only (I'm aware Lexus is Toyota). Although a Lexus might look better and be finished to a higher standard, both a Lexus and Toyota will be just as reliable and functional.

I usually prefer Benchmades, simply because I appreciate the better fit and finish mentioned above, and it is my humble opinion that Benchmade's Axis lock is simply the best in the industry, bar none. All it boils down to is your personal preference and the features you're looking for, really. e.g. if you want a rust-proof folder, you'd have to go with Spyderco's Salt series, simply because Benchmade does not have a comparable product. If you want auto or balisong anything, Benchmade is definitely the way to go.

Good luck with your decision. FWIW I just ordered a Benchmade 943, just because
    -winston

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast