Spyderco, Kershaw, or Benchmade...?

EsthetiX

Enlightened
Who has the better reputation for quality?

Okay edit- Now how does Kershaw compare

Last edited:

Ignoramus

Newly Enlightened
Re: Spyderco or Benchmade...?

There are solid cases for both sides. Neither have a reputation for anything except great quality from most experienced knife users. I've found that style and company values are 2 of the most important factors that experienced knife enthusiasts look at when deciding between the two.

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast

go with benchmade they may cost more but you get grerat quility and you can send it in to be sharpend for free (as long as you pay for shipping) and i dont think spyderco does that.

Ignoramus

Newly Enlightened

benchmade_boy said:
go with benchmade they may cost more but you get grerat quility and you can send it in to be sharpend for free (as long as you pay for shipping) and i dont think spyderco does that.

Both Spyderco and Benchmade will sharpen knives as long as you include $5 for return shipping.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think you would be better served to ask which knives will fit your specific needs and state what those needs / wants / requirements are. Of course there are die hard BM and Spydie fans, but I think most of us recognize that each manufacturer has good models, some better and some worse than others.

I have several of each and each one is good for its individual merits. Like flashlights, if you think that you're gonna get by with buying just one, you're sorely mistaken. Tell us what you want and you'll get more suggestions than you'll know what to do with them.

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast

dont get me wrong i have seriosly looked at spyderco knives but i cant find any models that look "normal" like benchmades are, i meen they might fit for some peoplle but almost all benchmades are for real users not ones that you keep in your vault for years, benchmades are made to be used i just dont really see any practical spydercos.

EsthetiX

Enlightened

kitelights said:
I think you would be better served to ask which knives will fit your specific needs and state what those needs / wants / requirements are. Of course there are die hard BM and Spydie fans, but I think most of us recognize that each manufacturer has good models, some better and some worse than others.

I have several of each and each one is good for its individual merits. Like flashlights, if you think that you're gonna get by with buying just one, you're sorely mistaken. Tell us what you want and you'll get more suggestions than you'll know what to do with them.

Actually I was only curious about what company has a better rep for quality. That's all. Not looking for any buying advice. Thanks for you input though.

cosine

Newly Enlightened

Both companies have a great reputation for quality. You pretty much can't go wrong with either one.

rycen

Enlightened

Do you like one handed opening and a pocket clip?If you do stcick with the one that started it all Spyderco.

rycen

Enlightened

Also benchmade will only sharpen plain edge no combo or serrated.

JOEGREEN

Newly Enlightened

You can't go wrong with either one. I have several Benchmades and a Spyderco Native, and I wind up switching off.

coontai

Newly Enlightened

Both are great no doubt about that, but for me there is something about spyderco and their commitment to customer service that wins my vote. They really seem blunt and honest about their products (ie on their website they state improved design). I'm currently rockin a 93mm blue spyde rescue model and highly recommend it. Its got a massive trademark round hole on it, which makes it soooooooo easy to open with one hand. It comes sharp and holds its edge pretty well. I got mine off of ebay for around 50 shipped.

cutlerylover

Banned

Ok your getting advice from benchmadeboy (keep in mind his name) that benchmades are better, possible benchmade fan? Maybe, lol, and advice from rycen (who has the spyderco logo as an avatar (again possible spyderco fan) maybe justa bit...so these responses are biassed...Don't get me wrong these guys love their brands and are faithfull to them and both have their own opinions on what are good useful knives and that is great! But I believe your original question was who has a better reputation for quality, and the answer is both equally, there are just as many benchmade fans who will back up their company as there are spyderco fans and all of them will tell you that customer service and quality control is top notch in both companies...SO, if your thinking about buying a new knife from one of these companies go with whatever you like more as far as designs go...

kitelights post said it all, I am just agreeing with the post...By the way guys (benchmadeboy and rycen, not trying to single anyone out or critizize, just trying to make a point, nothing personal)

by the way benchmadeboy, I love both companies equally but I have to say that I EDC bechmades as well as spydercos and I love my Endura 4, no its not very "normal" looking as you put it, but it does perform just as well if not better than many other knives in its class...so spydercos are practical...at least some of the designs are!

Now........................If we were talking about balisongs (butterfly knives) then benchmade blows spyderco out of the water, lol, but thats another story....:laughing:

Last edited:

cutlerylover

Banned

Buffalohump said:
Spyderco use Crucible's S30V - greatest steel ever made...

Bring it on, steel freaks, I'm ready...

:touche:

lol, well benchmade also uses S30V as well as D2 and M2 is some of there knives...So they too have good steel...like I said I think tis just about preference...If you belong to anyh of the knife forums you will already know that this has been an ongoing war between benchmade fans and spyderco fans on which company is better, lol, and the most recent (stupid in my opinion) argument was about the spyderhole...and the question in case some of you don't know was "Did benchmade steal spyderco's spyderhole?" which again for you flashaholics is the cuout hole in the blade in which is used to open the blade...Which was suppose to be spydercos trademark, and benchmade used it on a new model...and in the end both companies declared that there was no problem and that an arrangment was made, whatever that means...

Anyway the knife forums were packed with drama over the issue for a while...but it was entertaining to say the least...:grin2:

Danbo

Enlightened

Buffalohump said:

Gimme BG42 any day!

My guess is, you won't go wrong with either.

rycen

Enlightened

Well I might be a little biassed but that does not change thw facts I stated above.

cutlerylover

Banned

I didn't know that Benchmade won't sharpen serrated blades...but I trust you on that I know your a fellow knife nut like myself! But us knife guys don't care about that anyway since we sharpen all of our knives ourselves...

p.s. I sharpen my knives on the spyderco sharpmaker...So benchmade wins for balisongs but spyderco wins for sharpening system...tie score...lol

Ignoramus

Newly Enlightened

Buffalohump said:

I agree that personal preference is key for what's "best". In what ways would you say S30V is superior to INFI and BG42?