How to identify Luxeon I, III, V, K2?

adsl_keeki

Newly Enlightened
Hi! I have a bunch of high power LED flashlights and I would like to identify what Luxeon bulbs do they use. All I see is "Lumiled" printed on the LED star heatsink after removing the reflector and glasses. The heatsink is attached to a large aluminum heatsink with thermal epoxy, so I can't read the model number printed at back of the star heatsink.

Anyone? :)

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I and III is very difficult (there is the "so-say" that they might be the same, just when tested the better ones get binned to be "III")
V is with a much larger emitter die (VISIBLE larger), as this accomodates 4 emitters in square.
K2 has a square black plastic base and 4 solder tabs instead of just 2

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
It may be my imagination however I have about 10 of the LuxI stars and maybe 5 of the LuxIII stars.....every one of the LuxIII stars is a little thicker as far as the actual heat sink star section. They actually "feel" a little more heavy and robust also.....it also seems as if the LuxIII leads are a little wider as well.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also the K2 will have a hexagon reflector cup.

The luxeon1 stars will have a thinner aluminum. The lux3 stars are thicker, and have a thicker pcb, with a hole cut out in the center for the slug to touch the aluminum directly. The lux3 on stars have thicker leads too.

Bare emitters will be hard to tell on lux1/3 though.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lux I star
l1stop.jpg

l1sside.jpg

Lux III star
l3stop.jpg

l3sside.jpg

Lux I and Lux III emitter (they are visually identical - the power leads were bent by me)
l1l3etop.jpg

l1l3eside.jpg

Lux V emitter
l5etop.jpg

l5eside.jpg

Lux V star
l5stop.jpg

l5sside.jpg

K2 - lumileds does not make a K2 star, this was mounted to a star board by a third party
k2top.jpg

k2side.jpg

adsl_keeki said:
Hi! I have a bunch of high power LED flashlights and I would like to identify what Luxeon bulbs do they use. All I see is "Lumiled" printed on the LED star heatsink after removing the reflector and glasses. The heatsink is attached to a large aluminum heatsink with thermal epoxy, so I can't read the model number printed at back of the star heatsink.

Anyone? :)

There's really noway to tell Luxeon I and III apart by the emitter for white, green, blue, or royal blue.

The Lux III die is 4x the size of Lux I on red, amber and red-orange.