Acebeam
Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 69101112131415161718192021222326 ... LastLast

Thread: GatLight V3 - Carbon Fiber / Titanium with Cree XR-E

Default Re: GatLight V3 - Carbon Fiber / Titanium with Cree XR-E

Well said.

Thanks Walter.

I have to agree. Walter, that was well written and your points were quite good ones. In fact, they were so good I will probably go ahead and get off the fence and order one.

I am not criticizing those who are bringing up valid questions and concerns regarding prepays (and this one in particular). I do appreciate the fact that those questions are being raised for the good of the flashlight community. Rather, I am only commenting based upon my past very positive experience with Walter and the V2 prepay project.

I am so happy with my two stainless steel V2's that I didn't think I'd need a V3. But, of course, I'm a flashaholic...and I do.
    Last edited by arewethereyetdad; 03-01-2007 at 10:18 PM.

WOW....That needed to be said!! So with that behind us, and with me being one of the first to prepay ( 7 minutes after 2 ), and having zero issues with doing it, lets get on with the posatives of this thread....getting our V3 Gatlights. I followed the V2 from the drawing board til now and kicked myself in the butt for not ordering one. Now I have a V3 heading my way, and the best part is it is already paid for. !!
    Fenix TK35 & 75 / Eagtac TX25C2/Jetbeam RRT-0/Fenix TK10 /Nitecore EC25/Olight S10/Photon Rexlight / ...and on and on!!

Flashaholic

On the issue of screws, how about a torx head for a cool factor?

I put my CPF handle in the shipping instructions box. Hope that'll work.

Cheers,
    -LT
    lunal tic (n)
    a distinctive behavioral trait or quirk directly related to or caused by light [15th cent. Latin lunaris. Ultimately from an IE word meaning “light,”] and [Early 19th cent. Italian ticchio.] see also: moon quirk

I like the knurling, but I also like the super fine check too. I think anything will look great as long as its super fine.

I missed the switch picture. That version looks "grippier" than the v2 lights I have and that would be good. I have trouble getting a good grip on my lights sometimes.

-LT
    Last edited by Lunal_Tic; 03-01-2007 at 08:22 PM.
    lunal tic (n)
    a distinctive behavioral trait or quirk directly related to or caused by light [15th cent. Latin lunaris. Ultimately from an IE word meaning “light,”] and [Early 19th cent. Italian ticchio.] see also: moon quirk

Sorry if anyone found my comments offensive. I was only posting what *I* thought was in CPF members best interests.

Mac
    Last edited by cmacclel; 03-01-2007 at 08:54 PM.
    www.macscustoms.com
    *Note* Shipping Insurance must be requested.

Flashaholic

Walter,
    Nice post. However, you still have not answered one of the more pressing questions that has been asked. I think it's time to stop beating around the bush and honestly answer this question....

what's the deal with the dancing Spiderman?

Tim

Walter, thanks for the refreshing post. All of that needed to be said and is exactly how I feel. I've been aboard since V1 and will continue to support your efforts to create such unique lights. Kudos to both you and Kyle. Keep on truckin'.

I ordered a Tuxedo version, but only because of the looks, as I don't need the extra durability of 100% Ti for a shelf queen.

HOWEVER, I would so totally jump on (i.e., would pay substantially more for) an all-Ti version that had the same black areas as the Ti/Al Tuxedo version, or maybe an all-black 100% Ti. Is it even possible to do that?

Enlightened

Gatguys, I ordered a Tuxedo just after the 2pm EST bell as well. Do not get down on your project. It is a great thing you are building and you should stand proud.

Patrick J. Schuette aka Shurock

First, I'd just like to say that these look amazing, and I totally plan on ordering one if I can get some projects off the ground in time, and I have no problem with the prepay issue. That being said, I still don't understand why all the CPF purchases can't be considered a group buy and qualify for the volume discount? I mean, theoretically a dozen of us could get together and preorder 12 at once but what's the difference? Together with the fact that preorders are funding the project I don't think it's too much to ask. At the least, I think a simple "CPF" in front of our serial numbers would be a no brainer. Just my $0.02 worth, and again this is not an issue with the light or the prepay policy, I'm just still a little confused.

~Wilfred "Chip" Valtakis II

I never meant to offend anyone, and i feel bad if i contributed to any "bad vibes". I and appreciate that lumencraft has been open about the project. But nobody should be shy to ask difficult questions or give difficult news.

Now all i have to do is wait!

I wish shipping could be via UPS or USPS. But....

I hope I can get it delivered.

I definitively like that straight knurling !!!!

Jochen

Obviously Paypal's T&C only come into play if someone complains.
    As long as refunds are forthcoming for anyone who wants out, it should not come up.

Flashaholic

can you please clarify about using 3.6v rechargeables? it says they can be used but low mode will not be available. i was under the impression that turning the dial worked much like a Lion Cub, very small incremental increases/decreases until it got to its highest/lowest settings. if this is indeed the case then how exactly is the 3.6v rechargeables gonna effect the settings?

also is there anyway one could pay for an upgrade to have the lights work off primarily the 3.6v rechargeables? i myself and im sure ALOT of CPFers primarily use the 3.6v variety, and id hate to have to invest into more batteries when i already own 20 or so 3.6v 750mah rechargeables.

if there is anyway this is possible id gladly pay a little more for the effort put into it and im sure many more would as well.

either way i plan to prepay for one as soon as i decide on which i like better. i commend you guys on what is IMHO one of the sexiest lights to come out in some time.
    Last edited by grift; 03-03-2007 at 02:07 AM.
    -Eritt
    --------------------
    And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. And God saw the light, that it was good: ----The Big Guy

Grift this point has been raised and discussed but in order to get the V3 to handle primary and secondary cells it will put out more light at max with 3.6v than at 3v. The flip side is you can't go down as low on 3.6v as you can on 3v.
    Its a trade off. If your using it in the middle of the night to use the bathroom keep a primary in it. It'll be ready and waiting for ten years. If its a "queen" slap a fresh secondary in when you want to show it off as you'll want all the light you can squeeze out. EDIT See post #501 for correct info. Hope that answers your question, lets try not to bother the Gatlight team so they can focus on building funtional art

On a side note IMHO the knurling should relate to the carbon fiber tube as it is closer in diameter to the tube than the bars just follow the lines.
    Last edited by nein166; 03-06-2007 at 12:03 AM. Reason: stoopid noob's -2 cents

Nien - good point following the lines of the carbon fiber would be another unique feature for an already unique light.
    Thanx Mobile1 keep up the good work.
    Mr Bulk Ti Dragon, SS & Black DragonHeart, Lion Cub, SNII, PM6 5w... GatLight III Ti & Tux... Arcmania KIT - B, Maxlite II, TTH... Milky KL3 w/Cree and KL1 w/Seoul 3 - 11 volt input. To name a few of my upper end lights.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by mobile1
    . . . Also we're currently looking into the possibility of having our own screws manufactured for this light. The machine shop thought they can do better screws than the stainless steel ones we're using. We'll see how much it would cost us to do that (and how much lower our margin would be).. but if its somewhere within a reasonable range we'd like to do it. Not that the existing screws are bad (ask the V2 owners) but custom machined screws would simply look amazing.... especially after having seen the quality those guys deliver, after Kyle and I visited these guys last weekend.
    The screws are such a major part of the light's visual impact that I hope it works out for the machine shop to manufacture special ones, even if (sacrilege) the light's price must slightly increase to bring this about. If the special screws turn out to be prohibitive within the GatLight's price, then perhaps they could be offered as an option.

If so: I'll take it! Anyone else?

I am also in for especially made titanium torx screws
    The price doesn't matter much

Jochen

Enlightened

Yes, sell the custom screws as a separate, optional kit. Custom Ti screws would be awesome!

I have heard Ti screws gall and bind up. I don't know anything about this, but if it's true, then I'd prefer functional screws over Ti screws

Quote Originally Posted by tenfour
    I have heard Ti screws gall and bind up. I don't know anything about this, but if it's true, then I'd prefer functional screws over Ti screws
    A dab of anti-seize will prevent that.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by mobile1
    Ok its time to say a couple of words and address the issues that came up ....
    Walter, thanks for that finely worded post, and ending the monotonous discussion about prepayment. it reminds me of much of the same bickering on the V2 that drove me away from CPF.

coincidentally enough, what brought me back was a random post on gizmodo ... which i see that you've already added a comment to.

Good luck on the new design, now if you'll excuse me, i need to start scouring couch cushions for dropped change. maybe one day i can afford my 2nd gatlight

The screws will be an all or nothing deal. The cost of the screws at low qty would be more than prohibitive. If we plan on using the custom screws than we will be ordering about 12000 screws in all. At that high of a qty the price starts to become reasonable. We will let you all know as soon as we get the quote.

-Kyle

Just to clarify the battery issue. The variable brightness works just as well on 3.0V as it does on 3.6V. The only difference is that the output current will be limited to about 500 to 600 mA with the 3.0V. If you want to maximize the output current than we suggest that you use the 3.6V because you will be able to achieve about 1100 mA. However at this high of a current you cannot leave the light on for more than a minute or two. But keep in mind that the highest level with a 3.0V is still brighter than the max output of the V2! Thanks to the new LED.

-Kyle

mobile1 and LumenCraft1,
    I live in Hawaii and like the non-USA destinations was charged a large fee for shipping also. Please use USPS registered mail or overnight as you did in the past. I have no qualms with prepay but am afraid when ever it comes to a 3rd party shipper. These are minimum paid employees and though most are honest, well...

I have prepaid so i hopefully could get a specific serial number. I know this is probably the least of your worries but it is important to myself. I hope you can get this part sorted out on this 1st run. Also, I'm sure that the retailers can wait until the CPF community gets their lights 1st

Thank you for listening. Good luck. I hope smooth sailing with your production.

SF2

Default Re: GatLight V3 - ORDER NOW

Just saw the GatLight on Luxist.com. Nice exposure for you guys. Good Job.
    ~Greg

"Today is a gift. That's why it's called the present."
    -Unknown