Elite Flashlights - The Best LED Flashlights, Chargers and Batteries
Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast

Thread: GatLight V3 - Carbon Fiber / Titanium with Cree XR-E

Flashaholic

Default Re: GatLight V3 - Carbon Fiber / Titanium with Cree XR-E

I am all for the natural titanium version, just personal preference. I posted my interest in post 9 of this thread, i dont really want to get bumped down the list because i was meant to sign up to an email list i knew nothing about. Can you confirm how we will go forward with the signup please?
    marc

Nice looking light Walter!

It looks like you have some manufacturing and assembly challenges ahead of you for this project. I particularly like the hex screws on the backside of the light. As a suggestion have you looked at a nice decal with the logo and serial number instead of the laser etched disc?

BTW – I still think that the V2 is the best Custom design you guys have offered. Now that the V3 is soon to be available the V2 has now officially been inducted into my Collector gallery.

Keep up the good work.

RJM
    Solid State Rules!

How about this kind of finish?

Im interested! Put me Down!

I like the black/silver combo. How would the black colour be done? HA III?

Flashaholic

Bee Yoo (Ti) Ful. Add me to the list please.

Flashaholic*

The logo is way too prominent. It could be smaller, or lower contrast, or both.

The user could glue any number of tritiums to the carbon fiber cylinder surface where they would be protected.

If this caliber of light were more common, I'd go broke real fast.

I can hardly believe I'm interested in such a costly little light, but that little voice in my head is screaming "Buy one!" And, after all, who am I to resist the little voice in my head?

-I would prefer serial #666.
    -The silver/black coloring is awesome.
    -I'd be even more interested in a stripped down, purely functional, much less expensive "consumer" (i.e., non-shelf queen) version. In addition to being a thing of beauty, this light has lots of great lighting features, like its emitter, driver, optic, and UI.

How exactly do I sign up for one on your website? Should I just use the "Contact Us" form?

How about Titanium Nitride or Titanium Aluminum Carbonnitride coatings or a combination of both?

KROMA
    TICS

TiN would be good if I can't have rainbow.

I know it's not practical, but I would love to see this light with gold plating on the bars and black titanium circlular plates. I think that would be an outstanding combination.

However.... it looks great the way it is... so I will be checking my e-mail frequently now.

Man that is mad cool I would be in

trvc

You can count me IN.
    I want one of these!!
    Yaesumofo
    Support your local flashlight builder.
    Buy American. Stop crying and start Buying.
    Flashlights are tools. Period.

Flashaholic

I'm in, let me know when your taking orders, my V2 is ready for a big brother....

Todd
    Mclux III-PD, Orb Raw NS 3 trit, Gatlight SS,Spy005,Exolion Ti,Surefire E1,E1E,E1L,E2L,10X,9AN,M6,M1,M2,M3X2,U2,L2,A2,6P,6 Z,6P Patriot,M900,Arc LSX2,ArcAAAX3,Fenix P1, Gladius...and a few more that I'm still trying to justify

I have sent an e-mail and was wondering if we will get some sort of confirmation that we are on the waiting list?
    Concept

Fantastic looking light. I have to say it is better that you went with the professionally made CF than the stuff that I was proposing. I'm losing out on a lot of business but I think you are getting a much better product. I don't think my basement production methods would fit well on a piece of that caliber. Awesome light.

HOW TO RECEIVE THE SIGN UP NOTICE.
    Please send an email to news-subscribe@gatlight.com .
    You will then receive an email to which you need to reply to complete sign up and verify your identity. That's all you need to do to be on the list to be notified when we take orders.

You can unsubscribe any time by sending an email to news-unsubscribe@gatlight.com

Quote Originally Posted by Concept
    I have sent an e-mail and was wondering if we will get some sort of confirmation that we are on the waiting list?
    The sending an email to our email address so I can put you on manually was a bit of a mistake... I got floooded with emails. However the ones I got so far I'll put you on the list.. but please stop sending these emails use the process described above.

Also, if you were on the list before and haven't unsubscribed yet (F.e. if you ever were interested in a V1 or a V2 you are still on the list.

Sorry for not having been more clear on the process.

Flashaholic

Mobile

It looks like this V3 will have lots of side spill.....

or you're going to change the design ?

M.TEX
    M.TEX

Quote Originally Posted by M.TEX
    Mobile

It looks like this V3 will have lots of side spill.....

or you're going to change the design ?

M.TEX
    Why would it have a lot of side spill? It will be like the V1 and V2's the optics is illuminated - which will look really nice.... sure the optics is longer now.. which increases that area, however the optical properties... hotspot should be very similar to whether the optics is enclosed or not.

If you use a V2 optic that would create a ton of sidespill but since the optic we use is specifically designed for the XR-E it should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by mobile1
    [b]Also, if you were on the list before and haven't unsubscribed yet (F.e. if you ever were interested in a V1 or a V2 you are still on the list.
    Ah, good. So for those of us who were on the list from earlier this year and were fortunate enough to order and receive Gatlight V2's, we don't need to do a thing except wait for the e-mail. Correct? Thanks, Walter.

Flashaholic*

I'm a little late, but I'm in for V.3, as long as the lumen rating is at least close to what is being claimed by the manufacturer.....
    Far too many lights to list......

Okay. Everyone is excited, ready and willing!

How long will it be before we see these guys? Hopefully, before the end of Jan?

Quote Originally Posted by arewethereyetdad
    Ah, good. So for those of us who were on the list from earlier this year and were fortunate enough to order and receive Gatlight V2's, we don't need to do a thing except wait for the e-mail. Correct? Thanks, Walter.
    That's correct....

Regarding Lumen Rating from the manufacturer... well we tested the samples we got and we have to say that Cree is probably one of the more honest mfg when it comes to spec sheets (in comparison to f.e. a K2 spec sheet).

Some Updates of what we have been up to this week so far
    (I know you guys love updates)

In terms of coatings for the black Titanium parts (so far we plan to make'em all TI...however we might have to rethink the decision depending on what prices the machine shops come back with). So to coat the TI parts black we have it seems 3 options
    1) Aluminum Titanium Nitride Coating. It is basically a bluish black coating... pretty much indestructable.. since they normally coat drill bits with it to make'em more durable.

2) Carbon Based Coating (DLC - Diamond Like Coating). Apparently a black which is more an Antrazite black/dark grey.. however should have a very smooth feel to it. As scratch resistant as it gets... that's another coating used for drill bits...

3) Ti Annodizing
    Not quite as dark however an annodizing type process.

4) Black Ceramic Coating
    Advantage, would be the darkest black that can be achieved, however at the expense of the texture. It would feel like a 300-400 sandpaper. Still scratch resistant etc.

So far 1 or 2 are our favorites.. I should get some samples in tomorrow. Still open is the costs associated with these high tech coatings.... to see if they are feasible at all. Once we get the fabrication drawings done we'll get some quotes in and will know more.

BY THE WAY THOSE PREFERING NATURAL...
    we most likely will give you the option of getting the V3 in natural without the black.

Driver Board
    Kyle mostly worked on the driver this week... designing the circuit board... getting all the right components to optimize everything for the Cree's... still be about 2 weeks until that is finished.

Our goal is to send out plans to have a prototype manufactured within 2-3 weeks... so we'll see....

Hi Walter

Sorry about the incorrect proceedure thing.
    Thanks for the info too. Can't wait!
    Concept

Flashaholic

Do it, I'm in for one! Super cool.

I am in for one! count me in.

Popcorn Re: GatLight V3 - Carbon Fiber / Titanium with Cree XR-E

Hi guys... another update what we have been up to this week.

Optics
    We have evaluated some more optics...and found one that will result in a brighter hotspot. However it required some changes to the front... and also the light got a bit shorter.

I am sure you all don't mind brighter... and I also think the front now looks more interesting.. here are some renderings... (of the all TI (natural) version) Of course the black /natural still is another option, but the changes can be seen better in natural.

Enjoy the renderings... oh and in terms of brightness expect quite a bit more compared to the V2... probably at least twice as bright.

Push Button
    than we are still working hard on trying to find a push button we can add to the knob in the back... however very hard to find small latching push button switches (0.5 inch diameter or less) that can handle 4-5W... we have some samples coming from korea and some from the sandwich shoppe...

Carbon Fiber
    We're expecting a sample from a Carbon Fiber Manufacturer to check the surface finish... to make sure the finish is as perfect as we want it to be (hard to do with CF).

Driver
    Than Kyle has been looking a lot into buck/boost circuits. Currently evaluating some circuits that might allow us to use as battery input anything between 1.5V and 8 volts... which would provide full functionality for 3.6 and 3V batteries. However don't get your hopes up yet.. just in evaluation right now.

Until we get the knob samples we'll mostly be working on the driver... there are a couple things we changed in the core mechanism to simplify things... but still needs testing.

Nice update. You are right about us liking updates.

Things are looking really great and thank you for continuing to improve on your already awesome design.

Merry Christmas
    The beatings will continue until morale improves!!!!

Flashaholic

Oh boy things are getting better and brighter! Way to go mobile1! Cant wait to get my hands on one of these. Thanks for the updates
    LED: Gladius; Orb Raw (UWOJ); Brass LionCub (TXOJ); Elektrolumens ELX6; Classic Chameleon; McLux Ti PD
    Incan: SF 6P; Mags
    Hybrid: SF A2

Enlightened

Thanks for keeping us in the loop about the developments. This light keeps looking better and better.

Flashaholic

We like updates MOBILE....Ohhh and we like BRIGHT too..

Yes it's always good to see what you're doing ....

M.TEX
    M.TEX