OK I'm trying to measure my Mw output??

heliyardsale

Newly Enlightened
I recently read somewhere that I can use a Multimeter to check the output of my greenie by somehow hooking a green led to the multimeter and then shining the laser into the green led? Is this true? What settings do I use on the multimeter? I hope this isn't too stupid of a question, You'll have to excuse my lack of electrical technogy skills..... Can someone talk me through this proceedure?

Thanks in advance..

Heli

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
You check the current running through the LED when you shine your laser at it. This requires calibration of the LED/multimeter to a known laser's output and is easier said than done. If you want, you can send your laser to me and pay for return shipping and I'll check it with my Coherent Lasercheck.

TotalLasers.co.nz

Newly Enlightened
FNinjaP90 said:
You check the current running through the LED when you shine your laser at it. This requires calibration of the LED/multimeter to a known laser's output and is easier said than done. If you want, you can send your laser to me and pay for return shipping and I'll check it with my Coherent Lasercheck.

How much did your Coherent Lasercheck cost? They don't state prices on their website...:thumbsdow

ajohnson

Newly Enlightened
There's a sticky forum post titled "Threads of Interest". If you open that you'll see a link to power measurement instructions among other...err...interesting threads. As FNinja said, unless you've calibrated the led & meter to a known source, you can't really make any accurate judgements.

New laserchecks are usually just over $300, although you can sometimes get lucky on eBay