whats the real deal?

Chief117

Newly Enlightened
whiptats said:
thanx for the flood of info. guess i m 2 dum 4 dis 4um. 4q2.

Chill.

Pot modded lasers usually end up in to 15-20mW range from a good laser and a careful mod. If you do this, you will lose some stability and your laser will die at dissapointing speed.

If you REALLY want to take a chance, I know there are some members of this forum who have gone up to 50mW, or in a few cases 100mW from a pot mod, but they REALLY know what they are doing.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
whiptats said:
thanx for the flood of info. guess i m 2 dum 4 dis 4um. 4q2.

whiptats, this is not how CPF works. We are polite. We respect each other in our posts, and we do not attack the poster, only the post.
CPF is a freindly forum and we'd like it to keep that way.

As you are very new to CPF, I will not ban you right away. However, this is your only warning.
Adapt your posting style to the atmosphere or be gone.

bernhard

luvlasers

Enlightened
Chief117 said:
Chill.

Pot modded lasers usually end up in to 15-20mW range from a good laser and a careful mod. If you do this, you will lose some stability and your laser will die at dissapointing speed.

If you REALLY want to take a chance, I know there are some members of this forum who have gone up to 50mW, or in a few cases 100mW from a pot mod, but they REALLY know what they are doing.

Loss of stability would also depend on the construction and qualityof the modded laser. The better it is able to disperse heat and operate at higher temperatures, the more stability it will have.

So your more likely to get a high sustained pot mod with a laser from www.wickedlasers.com or www.laserglow.com than a laser from www.ebay.com

whiptats

Banned
thank you.i appreciate your input. have ordered a 20 mw. glp from plans-kits unlimited but can't find anyone who knows about them. if theres anything to tell, i'll let you all know.

ted_park

Newly Enlightened
If you try and increase the power output of a laser by increasing the pump energy, you may possibly destroy the pump diode, and you may encounter mode hopping/unstable behavior because of component heating. Excessive heating of the MCA in the laser can destroy it.

If you purchase a laser and then try and modify it, it is truly a case of "Ye pays yer money, and ye takes yer chances" - you may end up with a powerful, modified laser, but on the other hand you may destroy the laser as well.

Madz

Enlightened
whiptats said:
i live in california and i'm a little confused. a cheaper grade GLP has been the start of a search for MORE!!! now i start looking around and come to understand that it's against the law to sell anything over 5 mw. ...BUT then i find sites that offer 20 mw. and more! besides that, many appear to be identical products and don't even pretend not to be. are these just TUNED units? i know how to run potientiometers pretty good. bet i could TUNE one. if they're over 5 mw. how can they sell em? i'm not trying to light up Uranus or nuthin...just want to understand better so i know the limits (and how far they'll stretch!)!!![/QUOTE
They can sell the GLP series lasers b/c they have FDA approval. They have a timed delay when you press the button, a red indicator led when the unit has power, a locking mechanism, a shutter, warnings...etc. Anything over 5mw requires this approval to be sold in the united states. Most other countries do not have that option. most say no lasers over 2mW so buying a laser is risky in those areas.

Hemlock Mike

Enlightened
Whip --

A month ago, I was where you are at. Tonight, I'm popping balloons with BOTH red and green !!
READ, study and be patient. Not everyone can answer your questions.
Mike

whiptats

Banned
thanx much to those who have responded. today i recieved an EL20 20mw green pointer from PK Unlimited. bright, but doesn't seem brighter than the economy pointer from Amazing 1. also i tried the green LED power meter trick w/ poor results. multimeter set to 200ma, green LED (not a clear one), nothing! wonder how close to 20mw it really is? i'm gonna quit fooling around and just buy more power from one of the "Big Guys". anybody know another way to figure out how much power or what i'm missing w/ the LED trick?

Madz

Enlightened
The LED test is VERY VERY inaccurate. Its wrong like +- 10-15mW.

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey.. Madz... I notice you indorse envee.. do you know if they are putting out any more powerful models soon?

And do you know if its a big deal to take thier 100mw to 125 or is that an invasive procedure that voids warranty?

Latest posts