Legend LX

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I'm a flashlight novice, but I am rapidly getting hooked. Just thought I'd let everyone know you can get the Legend LX at Meijer for $19.95. The Ohio stores I've visited have them in stock. I inspect gymnasium bleachers (yes I climb around under them in the dirt,grime,etc.), and as a result of this forum, decided to purchase this flashlight. This baby is bright. Two questions, I noticed the Legend got warm after being on for awhile. Is this normal? Also, the Sanyo 123 lithium batteries that came with the Legend didn't last long. What are the longest lasting batteries for this flashlight? Thanks for the help.

Tater Rocket

Enlightened
Long lasting batteries, lol. None of them are going to last over 50 minutes or so in the LegendLX. If you want longer lasting light that is almost as bright, get a Tec40 (I got mine at bass pro for $17, needed to use up a gift card, so I didn't order online), use 4 NiMH's, and a 3 cell bulb for it. Very bright, but should also last an hour and a half. BTW, this tec40 came with dimpled reflector and the O-Ring was pre-lubed. Too bad I lost the oring on my tec20 though.

But for the LX, yes, it is bright. If you really want a light that bright for inspecting bleachers (not sure HOW bright you need for that job), and if that is your job, I'd suggest to get a rechargable surefire, or use NiMH's in a different flashlight.

Spud

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you use a light all the time for work use, get a rechargeable Streamlight, they are inexpensive, you can have them charge in your car or at home & best of all you don't have to buy batteries again.

And yes they are bright, but bigger than your LX.
frown.gif

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with sean, i would get a nitrolon rechargable surefire or a streamlight poly that would be cheaper and for your work should do a good job...

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Awwww, get a Surefire M6. You could inspect the whole underside of the bleachers at once with its 500 lumens (compared to a LX's 65 or so). Seriously, the lithium lights dont have a great runtime. One of the AA cell lights like the Princeton Tech 40 might work better for you. The rechargeable surefires work great too (if you want to spend $110). If it was me, I'd purchase the 8NX simply because Surefire is the best built brand of lights out there, with the best warranty (can you tell I'm addicted?)

Eric

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lot of Police Officers use the various rechargable Streamlights. I think that is a good choice to consider.

In Hospital where I work, I saw three exterminators, and they all had Streamlight UltraStingers on their belt. (Professionally dressed also.) Rechargables are a great choice if you are using the lights every day. Pest control has come a long way since the days of a Janitor with a spray can!

Streamlights do not have the "coolness factor"and the "perfect beam" that the SureFire's do, but they also have a long history of being very reliable (chances are, if you see a uniformed Police Officer, he will probably have a Stinger or a Scorpion on his belt - of course there are the Sure Fire alternatives). I don't want to make it sound like the Streamlights are bad, not at all. My next door neighbor is a LEO for Houston PD, and works nights in a bad part of Houston, and he loves his Streamlight, and he uses it every day. The beam quality would be like comparing a Lexus to a GM car. Streamlight's beam would be the GM car and SureFire would be like the Lexus. Now the Streamlights are increadibly durable and reliable, and well made (and bright too). I do not want to imply that the quality of the light is like GM vs Lexus. They would BOTH be in the LEXUS, or BMW or Mercedes catagory!

Also consider the Princton Tec Surge It uses 8 AA batteries, and it is very bright (do searches here to read all about it) When I first joined CPF, all the rage was the Brinkmann Legend LX and the Princton Tec Surge.

Would LED lights work for you? If there is a lot of ambient daylight around, the LED's might not work, but look at the Lightwave 4000. It is a big sucker compared to the LX, but it is about the same size as a 3-D light. It has like 41 days of continuse run time. Do some research and read the reviews of this