Cree XR-E, Titanium Q3

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't say enough about this light, and how perfect it is for the Cree XR-E mod...Yes, I'm not the first to try this mod...I was inspired by other CPFer's that paved the way.

I modded two of the old black Q3's for my friend Ed (Led_Experimenter) and Ed was kind enough to send me a new Q3 in titanium type II ano. The 17670 cell extender is the real deal, 6AL-4V Titanium...Its been quite a long time, since I've cut any 1mm pitch threads, but it came back in short order...
grinser2.gif

If the heatsink is made .330" high, and you use a star, or round base XR-E...the light will have some focus adjustment, and it remains under the pressure of the bezel o-ring...It's pretty cool...

I hope you like...
grinser2.gif

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Scott, your Q3 Cree looks great with the TB made added touches.:goodjob: Still haven`t tried a Q3 with the Cree but many have said it is a winning combo.:)

Ken

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
kenster said:
Scott, your Q3 Cree looks great with the TB made added touches.:goodjob: Still haven`t tried a Q3 with the Cree but many have said it is a winning combo.:)

Ken
You will love it Ken...It is such a nice reflector to begin with, the XR-E is a perfect compliment. The WOW factor is with the Li-Ion cell. It still out performs stock config. with a primary, but with the old blue cell, this thing really screams.

TB

Last edited:

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
matrixshaman said:
Very Cool - I'm sitting on a Q3 mod with a Cree and a FluPic = just need the time ....
I'm waiting for some FluPic boards to arrive, I'd like to try that too.

TB

myk

Enlightened
Just a thought, anyone that want's to do this without having to buy/make an extender for the 17670 could just buy the Nuwai TM301X-3

Although having a part of the flashlight that's worth more than 5x the cost of the original flashlight is always kind of fun too =)

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
myk said:
Just a thought, anyone that want's to do this without having to buy/make an extender for the 17670 could just buy the Nuwai TM301X-3

Although having a part of the flashlight that's worth more than 5x the cost of the original flashlight is always kind of fun too =)
RCR123's are fine too, no need for the extender, I just prefer the 17670.

What is the difference between the driver in the TM301X-3, and the Q3?

TB

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just opened my TM301X-3...Just a big honkin resistor on the board. Might be a bit more work to Cree...no threaded ring holding the module down, like the Q3, just pressure from the reflector holds everything in place.

Now that it's opened...I guess I gotta do it...;)

TB

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a XR-E QIII that I got from the BST. I like it alot and it is a throw monster, only complaint is that the beam is a little ringy/sloppy. Is yours like that as well?

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
dammitjim said:
I have a XR-E QIII that I got from the BST. I like it alot and it is a throw monster, only complaint is that the beam is a little ringy/sloppy. Is yours like that as well?
Nice and smooth...The metal dome ring should be completely inside the refector.

TB

Lonely Raven

Newly Enlightened
That is one nice lookin' light!

I love those detailed, lightsaber looking lights. And adding an extender and a Cree to it is just icing on the cake!

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Very cool looking light - I've never given the Q-III the light of day until just now - I can see why you like this light so much Scott. The grip pattern on the body looks pretty gnarley - in a good way. Although I'm not a fan of the heads-up clip. :shrug:

Awesome job!
john