McLux-III PD-Ti Cree Modification

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
McLux-III PD-Ti Cree Modification ... modamag / goldserve style ... :nana:

With such a great a beautiful light (McLux-PD) and the introduction of Cree, goldserve just couldn't keep his hands off modifying this thing. It was scheduled for almost one month back but due to our timing and availability it got delayed until now.

Without further a due ...

The design phase ... well at least it wasn't on a piece of knapkins.

The crutial element. Well we could have done what so many ppls did by just placing the cree on a pedestal to raise the height for proper focusing. But we didn't, I didn't feel comfortable with the thermal conduction. So a whole new Cree heatsink was fabricated. Ofcourse with the build in feature of self alignment on the Y-axis. We had quite a few hurdles to over come, one of the most memorible was when goldserve hand threaded the HS with some of my 2-56 SS socket screw. Don used some tini wini 0-80 or 1-64 screw to keep good contact between the emitter HS & the converter board. So we did the same with the emitter HS & Ecan, unfortunately the smallest tap I got was an OSG 4-40 :( Kevin have now gave me another excuse to give myself more xmas present from MSC. ;)

Sorry for the unfocus picture (proprietary info :D J/K) It was getting late, and I was too lazy to get my other camera/tripod.

Alright here's the other proprietary picture. The e-can for the goldserve's piglet with it's little tail sticking out. Not that we're anal or anything. It's just that the piglet was a tad bit (0.100") smaller than the original board so that's why we made the E-Can.

Enjoy Everyone!

Wait Wait WAIT A MINUTE!
What you said ... No beamshots ... Well we work on this mod on Thursday night @ 9PM (right after Smallville ends) and proceded deep into the night. I think we called it quit @ sometime @ 2AM or was it 3AM :thinking: So a few pictures are missing. I'll let goldserve finish up the story.

I too was going to perform this mod, but after seeing the time involved to do it right, I opped to keep my beautiful gold PD the way it is beautiful shelf queen.

Cheers,
Jonathan

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great work.
Yaesumofo

modamag said:
McLux-III PD-Ti Cree Modification ... modamag / goldserve style ... :nana:

With such a great a beautiful light (McLux-PD) and the introduction of Cree, goldserve just couldn't keep his hands off modifying this thing. It was scheduled for almost one month back but due to our timing and availability it got delayed until now.

Without further a due ...

The design phase ... well at least it wasn't on a piece of knapkins.

The crutial element. Well we could have done what so many ppls did by just placing the cree on a pedestal to raise the height for proper focusing. But we didn't, I didn't feel comfortable with the thermal conduction. So a whole new Cree heatsink was fabricated. Ofcourse with the build in feature of self alignment on the Y-axis. We had quite a few hurdles to over come, one of the most memorible was when goldserve hand threaded the HS with some of my 2-56 SS socket screw. Don used some tini wini 0-80 or 1-64 screw to keep good contact between the emitter HS & the converter board. So we did the same with the emitter HS & Ecan, unfortunately the smallest tap I got was an OSG 4-40 :( Kevin have now gave me another excuse to give myself more xmas present from MSC. ;)

Sorry for the unfocus picture (proprietary info :D J/K) It was getting late, and I was too lazy to get my other camera/tripod.

Alright here's the other proprietary picture. The e-can for the goldserve's piglet with it's little tail sticking out. Not that we're anal or anything. It's just that the piglet was a tad bit (0.100") smaller than the original board so that's why we made the E-Can.

Enjoy Everyone!

Wait Wait WAIT A MINUTE!
What you said ... No beamshots ... Well we work on this mod on Thursday night @ 9PM (right after Smallville ends) and proceded deep into the night. I think we called it quit @ sometime @ 2AM or was it 3AM :thinking: So a few pictures are missing. I'll let goldserve finish up the story.

I too was going to perform this mod, but after seeing the time involved to do it right, I opped to keep my beautiful gold PD the way it is beautiful shelf queen.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
modamag said:

You didn't need a tripod: the background is in focus, so you needed to step back or use the macro (if possible) !!!

Regards,

Ra.

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you let us know how you connected plus and minus to the XR-E?

In the second pic, you can just see what looks like a piece of copper wire on the front right part of the Cree.

If you cam in from the top through those two holes, how did you handle the wires contacting the reflector base ?

Thanks

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
*** Picture Update ***
I guess goldserve want me to complete the story. He's a little camera shy :D

1converterqv0.jpg

2ledsz3.jpg

3headel2.jpg

4glamourhj8.jpg

5beamshotxo3.jpg

6beamshotaq0.jpg

8beamshotnf1.jpg

8beamshotha5.jpg

9beamshotwk5.jpg

10setupox7.jpg

The setup! Gotta love those Legos.
All the pictures are taken at 0 & -2 EV for easier comparison.

Ra: Thanx for the photo tips. I never do well with Point & Shoot.

Anglepoise: The (+) & (-) are connected right onto the emitter. As for the battery contact take a look at the updated pictures.

To prevent the reflector from contacting the reflector base? ... I always cut just enough of the reflector rear & bore the opening so it clears the aluminum ring of the emitter. If you look at the cross section view of this there will be a ~0.040 gap between the reflector and the emitter (+) contact.

BTW: Kevin did all the connection and installation, I just did the machining.

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a note, the PD P4-XRE was driven at 495mA. =D

It was a great mod and ALL THANKS TO JONATHAN. We've got something else up our sleeves. In time we will update this post with the complete light =D I can't wait!!!