Laser beam centered in their modules?

mrsinbad

Enlightened
Have any of you rolled your lasers on a table top while it is on just to see if it is centered in the module or holder? Just curious to see, as I was thinking it would be pretty cool to make my own bore sight for firearms.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's rare that they are perfectly centered. Possibly due to the nature of the assembly. Then again, maybe the higher cost ones are. I only have a couple cheapo <5 mW and a PGL IIIA, but they are all off center quite a bit.

Dave

mrsinbad

Enlightened
Thanks for the reply. If it's not centered, is it too much to expect it to be parallel the the side? Or is it really all screwed up.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
mrsinbad said:
Thanks for the reply. If it's not centered, is it too much to expect it to be parallel the the side? Or is it really all screwed up.
I thought that's what you meant by "centered". In my limited experience with lasers, the beams are all a few degrees off axis from the body. The beam does start out centered in the body. Especially with green lasers (or most colors but red), the fact that there is a diode, two crystals, and a lens/IR filter makes it hard for the beam to be exactly parallel with the side of the body. As for the reds I have that are off, I'm not sure but maybe it's because they are so small.

Dave

comozo

Enlightened
The off centered nature of the beam is do to the slap dash nature of the positioning of the expander lens. Easy to remedy, but you must gain access to the expander lens to reposition it so the beam does hit it dead center. Then the beam will exit on axis.