Ultrafire Rechargeable Lithium 3.6v AAA Battery

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

I've been reading a lot of threads on this forum for some time, and know about some of the dangers regarding Li-ion cells. But I've decided to bite the bullet and give them a try, since most people have no problem with them.

Does anyone here have any experience with the Ultrafire 3.6v AAA cells/charger? I'd like to get one to go with a 1W ultrafire AAA I've just ordered, but I can't find any more information about it except for the auction.

Auction here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ultrafire-Cha...8075189QQihZ011QQcategoryZ50603QQcmdZViewItem

martonic

Enlightened
No experience with these - yet - but they are available at fifthunit (dot) com.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doh, missed this thread.

Didn't know that there were rechargable lithium AAAs either (just posted a thread about AAs).
Cant find them at fifthunit, do they have another name?

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I want to try them because I've heard the ultrafire 1W AAA has some issues with ordinary alkaline/nimh cells - most notably that it won't start up once the voltage drops below a certain level even though there is plenty of power left in the cell. The AAA lithiums are said to work a lot better with it.

balazer

Enlightened
The UltraFire AAA cells are rated at 500 mAh. The Batteryspace cells are rated at 350 mAh.

DM51

Flashaholic
These are UNPROTECTED cells. Exercise great care in charging (do not let them charge above 4.2v) and do not discharge below 3.0v. Many Li-Ion chargers are sold as safe but in fact are safe only with protected cells - they rely on the cell's protection circuit to prevent over-voltage charging.

Li-Ion 10440s (AAA size 3.7v) will not be 1000mAH. They will be ~330mAH at most.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Make sure you take pictures of your home's contents so you can get replacement coverage on your home/apt. insurance policy after the fire.

This person's purchase of such a lame Ebay promotion that doesn't say jack-sheet (!!!) about the Lithium chemistry being used, the charging voltage to be used, how reliable this "El Cheapo" charger is at limiting over-charging, what would happen if they were charged in a more typical 3.7V Lithium charger, and not even if they are protected or unprotected cells....but people just buy it...assuming it will all work out.

Look at the dangerous exploding fire Lithium battery videos I posted in this other thread dude.

coppertrail

Enlightened
I bought mine from dealextreme.com, along with some UltraFire 14500 cells and a WF-138 charger.

balazer

Enlightened
LuxLuthor said:
Make sure you take pictures of your home's contents so you can get replacement coverage on your home/apt. insurance policy after the fire.

This person's purchase of such a lame Ebay promotion that doesn't say jack-sheet (!!!) about the Lithium chemistry being used, the charging voltage to be used, how reliable this "El Cheapo" charger is at limiting over-charging, what would happen if they were charged in a more typical 3.7V Lithium charger, and not even if they are protected or unprotected cells....but people just buy it...assuming it will all work out.

Look at the dangerous exploding fire Lithium battery videos I posted in this other thread dude.
The Ultrafire charger in that eBay listing, and the other common chargers sold around here (DSD, Nano) all have voltage limiting circuits. Over-discharging will destroy a cell, but it won't cause a fire.

Caution is warranted, but you don't need to scare people. There hasn't been a single incident of a lithium ion battery starting a fire on CPF that I'm aware of. The lithium polymer batteries that the RC community uses are quite a bit more dangerous than lithium ion cells.