L0-Ti Arrived.........Holy Crap!!

Frank_Zuccarini

Newly Enlightened
The postman just dropped off my L0-Ti.

I won't pretend to be able to add any insight to the reviews already presented on the CPF. I just want to say that I own a bunch of torches from SureFire, Inova, Fenix and others, and this newest little gem can stand shoulder to shoulder with any of them.

My current keychain light is a Fenix E1, but this L0-Ti has a cleaner, whiter, more powerful and much more useful beam than the E1. It is going on my keychain right now, and I'm just thrilled to own one. I hope for the rest of the world that Fenix quickly produces the same light in anodized Al (and maybe a Cree) so that the same qualities become available for more people, without the more exotic (and expensive) metal Titanium.

Frank

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think, but I cannot be sure, that Fenix did dress it down a bit and produce the L0D. Most likely, the LED will not be an S-bin.

I am glad that you like it.

Does it flicker on the low levels like the L0P SE?

-Goatee

munkybiz_9881

Enlightened
I have the LO-Ti and I do not notice any flickering on lower levels, but then again I dont chase to many white walls so I may not have noticed.

Flashlight Enthusiast
munkybiz_9881 said:
I have the LO-Ti and I do not notice any flickering on lower levels, but then again I dont chase to many white walls so I may not have noticed.

Aim it at a ceiling fan and cycle through the levels. See if you notice some funny business with the way the fan looks on the lower levels.

I have pretty much given up on obtaining an L0 Ti... since the L0D looks to be the same recipe, I was giving it consideration but I just did not like the way the LOP SE flickered.

-Goatee

Flashlight Enthusiast
My L0P SE is being loaned out or I would try it...

By the way, were you chewing ice in the dark and playing with your flashlight?

If so, I can identify with that:laughing:

-Goatee

munkybiz_9881

Enlightened
Just tried it witht he fan and I can tell a difference, so I would say it is possible that it does flicker. But I seriously have never noticed this until now and I have been using it several times a night. It really doesn't bother me, but to each his own.........

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for checking. They are great lights all around and that is one of the reason I was loaning mine to a co-worker who can't believe how much I spend on flashlights... I figure it will get him hooked:naughty:

The reason that they flicker is because they use Pulse Width Modulation to dim the beam; this is also the means that HDS uses on it's lower levels.

Thanks again! Now I am just waiting for someone to try the ice trick.

By the way, I am jealous of you guys that have one of these lights. I have wanted one since I saw the pictures when they first came out. They are beautiful and the fact that they come with a premium Lux I is just icing on the cake!

-Goatee

x2x3x2

Banned
flickering has nothing to do with whitewall hunting.
i believe that only applies to tint and beam quality.

hehe wats with the fan n ice chewing? all u gota do is wave it in front of u, see if it maintains a constant "line" of light or sort of "spots" instead.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I agree. It's real easy to see if it uses PWM by waving the light. I've never noticed it in normal use.

Geoff

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Frank_Zuccarini said:
The postman just dropped off my L0-Ti.

I won't pretend to be able to add any insight to the reviews already presented on the CPF. I just want to say that I own a bunch of torches from SureFire, Inova, Fenix and others, and this newest little gem can stand shoulder to shoulder with any of them.

My current keychain light is a Fenix E1, but this L0-Ti has a cleaner, whiter, more powerful and much more useful beam than the E1. It is going on my keychain right now, and I'm just thrilled to own one. I hope for the rest of the world that Fenix quickly produces the same light in anodized Al (and maybe a Cree) so that the same qualities become available for more people, without the more exotic (and expensive) metal Titanium.

Frank
We want more TI Fenix, are you listening?:) Hope you don't mind my comment Frank Z.

Last edited:

Frank_Zuccarini

Newly Enlightened
"I think, but I cannot be sure, that Fenix did dress it down a bit and produce the L0D. Most likely, the LED will not be an S-bin."

Yes, the L0D appears to be a dressed down version of the L0-Ti. The L0-Ti has the S-bin LED, and it produces 33% more light on high (40 vs 30 lumens). Interesting enough, although the P1D-CE is longer than the P1, the L0-Ti is exactly the same length and width as the L0 and E1. I know that the Cree in the P1D-CE requires a longer reflector, but someone posted that the body is also longer to allow for the electronics. That is not the case with the L0-Ti.

Fenix tells us the the reduced light levels are Pulse Width Modulated, so there MUST be flickering. However, I do not see it, and I will not be shining it through a fan in order to be able to discern it.

Like I said, I am very happy with this light. I would be just as happy with an anodized Al version (although the Ti is beautiful, and I see no color difference between the head and body), and I'd be even happier with a Cree version of the E1/L0, but not if it had to be longer.

Frank

x2x3x2

Banned
i dont think that pwm automatically related to flickering.
if each pulse width controlled by the chip is less than the time it takes of the led to turn on n off. but then again, that would require it to me something like less than 20ms i think.. oh well..

mchlwise

Enlightened
Flying Turtle said:
I agree. It's real easy to see if it uses PWM by waving the light. I've never noticed it in normal use.

I have. It doesn't bother me too much, but if I'm using it and move it too quickly, I can see it.

Frank_Zuccarini

Newly Enlightened
I'll give the shower thing a try. That sounds interesting to me.

I'm guessing that it's a strobe-like effect? Freezing the drops?

See, PWM can be a benefit, not a libility.

Frank

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes freezing effect! Really nice to see! I think the best way to see the PWM is too move the light up and down very fast. You'll see a lot of distinct circles with dark spaces between them. On high, it's much like a line of light with no dark spots.

greenLED

Flashaholic
x2x3x2 said:
i dont think that pwm automatically related to flickering
IIRC, goldserv now sets his pwm to a faster rate so we can't pick up the "flickering" (which is not exactly flickering, BTW) - so, no PMW isn't necessarily picked up by all people.

Frank_Zuccarini

Newly Enlightened
Moonknight..........I do find the threads on my L0-Ti to be a bit rough, compared to my other Fenixs. They get better after a couple hundred twisting cycles, but I attribute the roughness not to Fenix's machining technique but, rather, to the nature of Titanium. I am no machinest, but I understand that Ti is rather hard to machine. This difficulty in machining accounts for, in good part, the increased cost of Ti goods.

I love my L0-Ti....................Frank