Innovative and high-quality Rofis flashlight

Thread: Fenix P1 Versus L0P se on high.

Flashaholic

Default Fenix P1 Versus L0P se on high.

I was wondering if anyone who owns both can give me a comparison. Is there much difference between a p1 and L0P Se on high? Sorry if there's already a thread like this, I couldnt find one.

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Fenix P1 Versus L0P se on high.

Eh? Are you implying a light-level comparison? A Fenix P1 with listed as 55 lumens vs a Fenix L0P-SE with 30 lumens on high? no comparison, and confirmed by the usual white-wall shots. The primary advantage to the L0P-SE is 3 lighting levels and the AAA size. The P1 has only a single level. and is larger - uses the CR123 cell.

There is no real comparison. These two lights aren't very similar at all. The P1 is MUCH brighter! Has more throw and much brighter spill as well. The L0PSE does however have 3 levels of output and long runtime on the low level. Both are very nice lights and I highly suggest the L0PSE! If you want some real brightness check out the new P1D CE!

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by moldyoldy
    Eh? Are you implying a light-level comparison? A Fenix P1 with listed as 55 lumens vs a Fenix L0P-SE with 30 lumens on high? no comparison, and confirmed by the usual white-wall shots. The primary advantage to the L0P-SE is 3 lighting levels and the AAA size. The P1 has only a single level. and is larger - uses the CR123 cell.
    Well I ask because I just received my p1 and I can't tell any difference in brightness (P1 on new energizer cr123 too). Actually, it seems my l0P se is sliiiiiiiiightly brighter on high. Obviously p1 should run longer but I was expecting it to be a lot brighter than the LOP SE on high.

And yes I have a p1d-ce coming to me...
    Last edited by EsthetiX; 12-11-2006 at 09:30 PM.

Not to be a jerk but you must either be blind, or you got a seriously messed up P1. The P1 is ALOT brighter than the L0PSE. The beam shouldn't even look similar.

Quote Originally Posted by EsthetiX
    Well I ask because I just received my p1 and I can't tell any difference in brightness (P1 was on new energizer cr123 too). Obviously it runs longer but I was expecting it to be a lot brighter than the LOP SE on high.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by adirondackdestroyer
    Not to be a jerk but you must either be blind, or you got a seriously messed up P1. The P1 is ALOT brighter than the L0PSE. The beam shouldn't even look similar.
    It must be messed up. With all honesty it is not any brighter. The beam looks different (less white) but its in NO way any brighter. I am exchanging it for another. I'm glad to hear that it should be alot brighter cuz I am not impressed

My standard P1 is nine times as bright as my L0P SE on high, measured. (My P1D CE is 2-1/2 times as bright as the standard P1.) That means that the P1 lights up something 90 feet away as brightly as the L0P does 30 feet away, and the P1D CE will produce that brightness at 140 feet.

c_c

Flashaholic

I wonder what's wrong with this p1 then..?? I know its not batterys.

I wonder what's wrong with this p1 then..?? I know its not batterys.
    May be it's your L0P-SE is wrong... it's brighter than usual. Maybe you are a Luxeon lottery winner or it's the wrong led in it... a U bin led probably.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by ledvador
    May be it's your L0P-SE is wrong... it's brighter than usual. Maybe you are a Luxeon lottery winner or it's the wrong led in it... a U bin led probably.
    Never thought of that! I dunno though.. It is bright but not like SUPER BRIGHT like most people say their P1 is. Actually I just compared the my P1 to my streamlight key-mate (on fresh button cells) and they look VERY similar. They both light up the room with almost identical efficiency. Definately has to be some problem with this P1. I've already arranged for it to be exchanged.
    Last edited by EsthetiX; 12-12-2006 at 02:36 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Curious_character
    My standard P1 is nine times as bright as my L0P SE on high, measured. (My P1D CE is 2-1/2 times as bright as the standard P1.) That means that the P1 lights up something 90 feet away as brightly as the L0P does 30 feet away, and the P1D CE will produce that brightness at 140 feet.

c_c

Throw and brightness are two different things.

I estimate the P1 to be 46 lumens and the L0P SE to be 31.3 (on a lithium)

P1D CE received today !! Thanks Foursevens !!!
    My measure tell me that the P1D CE is twice as bright as the P1 on high level :

P1 : 1000 Lux
    P1DCE : 2000 Lux

Not sure if my luxmeter is good.(read values).. but for comparison it's ok

Quote Originally Posted by InfidelCastro
    Throw and brightness are two different things.
    Ah, great, someone who understands these terms. Hopefully you can straighten me out.

I understand that the total light output, or luminous flux, from a light is measured in lumens. Ok so far. The luminous intensity is in candelas, which can be different for each angle or direction but isn't a function of distance. And the illuminance or illumination at some distance and angle is measured in lux, which is a lumen per square meter. Ok so far, I've got those.

The problem is with "brightness" and "throw". I don't see either of those on the sites talking about light. So I've been using "brightness" to describe, well, how bright a beam is -- that is, if my eyes smart and I have to put my sunglasses on to look at it, I say, wow, that's bright. If I took a flashlight and blurred its focus so that it's putting out the same overall amount of light but in a much broader beam, I'd say that the beam isn't as bright as before. My lux meter tells me that the illumination (lux) is less at the same distance, I can't see as far away, and I can take off my sunglasses.

But I guess that's wrong. Are you saying that it's just as bright as before because the luminous flux (lumens) hasn't changed? Hm. Ok.

Now in Flashlight Reviews, the reviewer calls the square root of the lux at one meter (which is the square root of the luminous intensity or candelas) "throw". That makes sense to me -- it's a distance, the distance at which the light casts an illumination of one lux.

What I measure is the illumination in candelas, or lux at one meter at the brightest part of the beam -- woops, no, the part of the beam providing the maximum luminous intensity. The "throw", as used by the FR reviewer, is the square root of that. So I'm measuring the square of the throw.

So is "brightness" the total luminous flux? When I defocus a light to convert a bright, woops, higher illumination beam into a dimmer, woops again, lower illumination beam, it's just as "bright" as before, even if I can take off my shades and quit squinting to look at it?

And is the FR fellow correct in his use of "throw" as the square root of the luminous intensity at the brightest part of the beam, woops, the part of the beam where the luminous intensity is maximum?

When I said my P1 was 9 times as bright as the L0P SE, I meant that its luminous intensity was 9 times as great, and that it has 3 times the throw. I'd guess that the "brightness" -- total lumen output -- is more like a 3 to one ratio, since the L0P SE has about twice the main beam diameter as the P1 but less spill. Hope that's clearer.

Thanks, I'm a real newbie at this, and have a lot to learn.

c_c

Curious Character, I agree with you on the definition of brightness, but I have been a bit careful about using the word without a solid context.
    It appears as wikipedia agrees with you also, or not?
    From wikipedia:
    Brightness is an attribute of visual perception in which a source appears to emit a given amount of light. In other words, brightness is the perception elicited by the luminance of a visual target.
    Last edited by AilSnail; 12-12-2006 at 10:57 AM.

For comparing "overall output", as in flashlightreviews, I regularly use the "ceiling bounce" technique. Just get in a dark room and turn on two lights you want to compare. Stick one on top of your head, aimed at the ceiling, and cover the other. Look straight ahead. Now quickly switch the lights. It's pretty easy to make a judgement.

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by AilSnail
    Curious Character, I agree with you on the definition of brightness, but I have been a bit careful about using the word without a solid context.
    It appears as wikipedia agrees with you also, or not?
    From wikipedia:
    Hm, yes, that's how I've been using it -- thanks. If you use FR's definition of throw, which seems perfectly reasonable to me, then brightness and throw are different in that throw is proportional to the square root of brightness. When one is greater, the other is also, but they're related by that square relationship. Maybe that's what InfidelCastro meant by saying they're different. InfidelCastro?

c_c

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Turtle
    For comparing "overall output", as in flashlightreviews, I regularly use the "ceiling bounce" technique. Just get in a dark room and turn on two lights you want to compare. Stick one on top of your head, aimed at the ceiling, and cover the other. Look straight ahead. Now quickly switch the lights. It's pretty easy to make a judgement.

Geoff
    This is quite similar to my "tailstand light on counter and try to read a magazine on the crapper" technique
    01001100011010010111011001100101001000000110100101 10111000100000011101000110100001100101001000000110 0100011000010111001001101011
    00101100000011010000101001100001011011100110010000 10000001110100011010000110010100100000011101110110 1111011100100110110001100100
    00100000011010010111001100100000011101000110100001 11001001100101011000010111010001100101011011100110 1001011011100110011100101110

Quote Originally Posted by Thujone
    This is quite similar to my "tailstand light on counter and try to read a magazine on the crapper" technique
    .. !!!
    "Success usually comes to those who are too busy to be looking for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Thujone
    funny thing is, I do that sometimes just for the heck of it
    L2T/123|Civictor (polished)|Luxogen LR12|P1D-CE/kooter/McR17XR (polished)|L0P-SE|D-Mini|Boxer 24W HID|L1D-CE/P2D|L0D-CE|Quard USW0I 1C|LM631|A-mag 1C@1.2A flupic|MRV|Thor X Colossus|P2DQ5|KDAAASSC

I will do a beamshot comparison later this evening for those interested so we can settle it.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by iNDiGLo
    I will do a beamshot comparison later this evening for those interested so we can settle it.

THANK YOU

Well I ask because I just received my p1 and I can't tell any difference in brightness (P1 on new energizer cr123 too). Actually, it seems my l0P se is sliiiiiiiiightly brighter on high. Obviously p1 should run longer but I was expecting it to be a lot brighter than the LOP SE on high.

And yes I have a p1d-ce coming to me...
    Remember, a 3 D-cell or C-cell light is about 24 lumens - usable light, but crapola as far as most flashaholics are concerned. The 30 lumen LOP is roughly equivilent to a 4 cell light at 32 lumens.

It is still an amazing light considering the output from a single cell light of that size. I suppose if they made a Fenix that used 3 AAA's, it technically could reach 90 lumens.