Are there rechargable lithium AAs?

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Read somewhere at fifthunit that they were going to sell rechargable lithium AAs. I dont know much about rechargable lithium (unless in cellphones, mp3players etc), does it exist?

Would my old charger for NiMH AA work?
And will they work in any light that can handle nonrechargable lithium AAs, the Fenix L2p for example
Very confused here... :candle:

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lithium rechargable is Lithium Ion and the battery chemistry results in 3.7 nominal volts. As high as 4.2 volts hot off the charger. They are more dangerous than most batteries and can explode if abused punctured, reverse charged, disposed of in fire, taunted, laughed at (so can lithium primaries). Unprotected cells are just the raw cell with no circuit protection built in to protect the battery from overcharge and overdischage. If you drain a Lithium ion battery too far it dies. Normal Lithium ion batteries have a total life of up to two years before they begin to degrade. They have very low self discharge rates compared to NIMH or NiCad. They take special chargers built for Lithium Ion chemistries. Most commonly used in cellphones and laptops.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, for the answere, but really not what I asked for.:)
When I read about lithium rechargables I always assumed they were in 123 or some other "exotic" size. Are there lithium rechargables in AA?

Did a search and found this post(dont ask me why I always find what I'm looking for after starting a thread...:ohgeez: )
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=109956&highlight=lithium+rechargable

So 14500 are actually AA?
But I wont be able to recharge them in a regular NiMH-charger?
And youre saying that all lithium regardless of size are 3.7V???
And will you get shorter batterylife compared to NiMH? Lighthounds 14500 are only 750mAh-

Last edited:
Lobo said:
Thanks, for the answere, but really not what I asked for.:)
When I read about lithium rechargables I always assumed they were in 123 or some other "exotic" size. Are there lithium rechargables in AA?

Did a search and found this post(dont ask me why I always find what I'm looking for after starting a thread...:ohgeez: )
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=109956&highlight=lithium+rechargable

So 14500 are actually AA?
But I wont be able to recharge them in a regular NiMH-charger?
And youre saying that all lithium regardless of size are 3.7V???

14500 refers to 14.5mm diameter by 50.0 mm length, or the same size as the AA. Lithium ion batteries are 3.6v nominal in all sizes just like all alkaline s are 1.5v. The 1.5v AA lithium is a lithium, but not a lithium-ion.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
haha, ok, getting confused here now. Didn't think about the difference between Li-ion and lithium.

So could you guys mention a light that uses 14500?