want to build a simple light

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey folks:

I'm thinking about building a very simple DD K2 light as a room-flood-light, driving somehting around 29 K2's in series and can plug directly into the wall. If I use UxxN K2 LEDs, 110v/4.5v(Vf)=24.4, so say use 28-29 LEDs to be safe. I am going to use an aluminium block and thermal epoxy the LEDs and wire them in series. What should i do beside connecting + terminal of one to the - of the next one and use the right terminal to match to wall outlet when I put them together? (of course I will plug it into a surge protector and use a fan to cool it)

And where can I get a large al block for the thing? I'm thinking of 11" x 8" x 4"

(of course I am also aware that I may sound like an idiot for wanting to connect that many K2s together, I'm just dreaming)

thanks,

Nick

Last edited:

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure you don't need an electric space heater.. cause that's what 30 K2 leds driven at spec are going to do.

Crux

Newly Enlightened
I suggest you convert the AC to DC with a full wave bridge rectifier (600V rated). Otherwise the K2's will only conduct on one half cycle and the other half cycle will reverse voltage them and blow-out at least one. FWIW 120V RMS is 170V peak. So each of the 29 K2's would have 5.86V peak across it assuming they all are equal... A fuse and a series current limit resistor (about 50 ohms 100W, you'll need to play with the value a bit) are also wise additions.
The block of AL you describe can sink a fair amount of heat, but it needs surface area to dissipate that heat. A smaller mass with many fins would work better.

My opinion is worth every cent it costs, but that many K2's in series rattles me.

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definately AC-DC :) Try a CPU-heatsink, maybe 2 next to eachother, in a regular 300w or 500w Flood-light housing you can find at your hardware store...

Cheers !

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe perhaps a set of Luxeon3 stars mounted to an aluminum girder that stands up like a floor lamp.
Then you can put a wrap around diffuser of some kind over the leds.
The electronics can then go in a pedestal at the bottom of this.
Is this kinda what you had in mind? :thinking:

Latest posts