4 Sevens

Thread: SF KL3 performance on rechargeables

Default SF KL3 performance on rechargeables

I've recently got a couple of new style KL3 LED heads, that I'm currently using with 2 cell Surefire bodies on Lithium primaries, and I was wondering about getting some RCR123 rechargeables (3.7 volt, 900mAh) from Lighthound. How long would 2 of these last with the KL3, and secondly, if I used 3 of them in a 9P body with the KL3, would the LED regulator circuitry stand the voltage (11.1 volts)?

The KL3 is rated as compatible for 3 cell SF lights, but would the extra voltage damage it?

Any advice welcomed...

Nigel.
    Do something, or do nothing, but do it quickly, there's a line forming !!

Default Re: SF KL3 performance on rechargeables

For 2 x CR123: use one 17670.

For 3 x CR123: use two 17500's.

This way you are within the limit of the KL3. The 17XXX also has higher capacity than RCR123 too.

Quote Originally Posted by dchao
    For 2 x CR123: use one 17670.

For 3 x CR123: use two 17500's.

This way you are within the limit of the KL3. The 17XXX also has higher capacity than RCR123 too.
    Would a 6P/C2 body need boring out for these? I'm not too knowledgeable about 'non standard' rechargeables, I use SF B90s, but they are part of a complete system, rather than a user selected aftermarket option.
    Do something, or do nothing, but do it quickly, there's a line forming !!

The KL3 circuit is set up for 6-9 volts, unlike the KL1 which can handle 3-9 volts to regulate the light output. You will get guaranteed regulation with 2 CR123's, 3 CR123's, or two LiIon's with the KL3.

Bill

Flashaholic*

2x rcr123 run for about 1:40

Naughty Re: SF KL3 performance on rechargeables

Lets keep in mind that the 9P KL3 combo on 123 primaries will run 7 hours regulated and then drop off to 8 hours less output but adequate light and then another 50 hours of low output of use. So rechargeables are good but with runtime reports like this who needs rechargeables unless you run your light over 7 hours each and every day. Just imo.