30GB iPod Battery Charger

PBurkott

Newly Enlightened
I'm planning a trip from Chicago to Australia via Los Angeles (total elapsed time ~30hours). I would like to charge my iPod battery via AAA (or AA) lithium batteries. Does such a device exist? Any recommendations? Thanks...

Pete

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I think there are some high priced battery holders that will do that for you. Belkin probably has something along those lines.

If you can rig up a USB A jack to a cable and wire it to USB specs, you could power and charge your iPod with 4 NiMH batteries (any size, I prefer AAs) and a 4 cell battery holder. The output from 4 NiMH cells falls perfectly within the 5V power range for USB and will not shut off the mp3 player's charging circuit's under/over voltage protection.

cobra-ak

Newly Enlightened
SeatGuru.com will tell you airline seats with power ports, then a 12VDC sutomobile charger will work. You will have power from pushback to deplaning.

auriga

Newly Enlightened
I'm also trying to build one of these powered by 2 Li-Ion batteries. I used a 7805 voltage regulator and an old USB-cable. Going to put it in a small metal box I have.
It works great right now but the problem is the batteries. Getting a holder for 2 AA-batteries is easy but i would really like to power it with 2 18650. Getting a battery holder for one or two 18650 batteries seems impossible. If anyone has any info about where to find one of these please reply here...

bill_n_opus

Enlightened
Damn internet explorer ate my detailed post complete with links and all that ...

Anyways, just go to here:

http://www.batterygeek.net/

click on iPod external battery packs and check the products out.

Or you can simply do this:

- buy a battery extender like this http://pc-mobile.net/ax50.htm the 8 dollar one.
- use 4 high quality NiMh batteries
- buy the appropriate tip for the iPod like the one at batterygeek

There you go.

Like the other poster said, 4xAA NiMh will settle down to ~ 4.8-5V for most of it's capacity given high quality batteries and will charge your iPod nicely ... all you need to do is get the battery holder and the appropriate tip to connect to your iPod and you're all set.

There's no use using lithiums unless you need them in a pinch. In that case you can buy the cheaper alkalines and shove them into this battery extender if you can't get around to charging your NiMh's.

danielo_d

Enlightened
I saw this at Belkin's site. It's for the iPod 20G 4thGen.
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=186754#

I have this
BatteryCase.jpg

and another pic...

BatteryCase2.jpg

It seemed to work with my 20G 4th Gen, but haven't used it with my 30G Video. I should look into seeing if it's compatible. eh? :whistle:

These images are 500x500. Hopefully they're within posted limits for images.

Danno

Latest posts