First M@g Mod - some questions

sandbasser

Newly Enlightened
Hi -

I've decided to take a baby step into modding with a Mag3D (purchased the day after Thanksgiving @ Lowe's for $10). I'm going to use 9x14500 to 3D, Bi-pin ceramic socket, wa1185 & reflector from fivemega; with 14500s from AW.

Questions:
  • Will I need magnets between the batteries in the adapter?
  • Should I "ProGold" all 'junctions' between components?
  • Does anything need to be done to the switch?
Thanks,

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
YIKES!

You will need nimh AA batteries, not the far more potent Lithium ions from AW for this mod.

Nimh batteries are about 1.2-1.4 volts a piece.

The li-ions are about 3.6 - 4.0 volts a piece = way too strong for this mod. :mecry:

Nothing special needs to be done with the switch.
Everything else about your mod looks good. ;)
Just put it together and..... :wow: :rock:

Last edited:

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will I need magnets between the batteries in the adapter?
No magnets are needed for this set up.

Should I "ProGold" all 'junctions' between components?
That is totally up to you, a little resistance may be the saving grace of this set up and why it doesn't blow bulbs :)

Does anything need to be done to the switch?
Nothing other than mounting the Kiu socket and soldering the wires, if your using FM's Bi-Pin socket then everything is drop in plug and play :D

Later
Kelly

Last edited:

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
3rd_shift said:
YIKES!

You will need nimh AA batteries, not the far more potent Lithium ions from AW for this mod.

Nimh batteries are about 1.2-1.4 volts a piece.

The li-ions are about 3.6 - 4.0 volts a piece = way too strong for this mod......
FiveMega's 9x14500 to 3D battery holder runs the nine 14500s in a 3 series / 3 parallel arrangement. The 3 series gives the proper voltage for an 1185 and the 3 parallel splits up the high current so that it is within the limits of the relatively small capacity 14500 cells.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
i love the fact that li-ions hold their charge... you don't have to wonder after a month how much life is in your hotwire... you KNOW!