Phoenix Electroforms
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Bay Area get together for television program

Default Re: Bay Area get together for television program

It was a great day for "flashlights" and CPF too...no they didn't mention CPF, but the word "Flashaholic" was uttered, (in public no less), which is nothing if not synonymous with CPF.

The fire starting flashlight was shown there twice...and people shown several times building and modifying lights...and the tank light was there too....

Strip away all the “it came from dirt” filler stuff, (it was an hour show after all), and it was a superb start...Surefire certainly got a lot of coverage...flashlight history and collecting was there, some info on LEDs and so on....

My thanks go out to all the CPFers who represented us in the show. You all did a great job.

Anyone on-line that wants to find us can do it if they try and they will try because many of them now know that there are others out there with our passion.

Cheers
    Dave

I thought the show was a bummer also. It was a commercial for Surefire. Then all about raw materials and how materials are shipped. All that time spent on how glass lens are made. How many flashlights now days come with glass lens.

Quote Originally Posted by LuxLuthor View Post
    That's a really cool screenshot, LuxLuthor. Larry, you're famous!

Down the street from Cree HQ in Durham, NC

"Sand is the technical term for rock which has been pulverized..."

Gosh, the things I can learn from National G.

Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by USPS international services)

Can someone record the show for us Non-US CPFers?

We do have NGC here in the Netherlands, but they air different shows. But I would love to see it
    ... Never underestimate the power of human stupidity ...

Did anyone else catch the part near the beginning where they were talking about the people involved in making lights? They flashed PK's picture and said something about salesmen! Did he get demoted at Surefire?

*Flashaholic*

At least the resolution is too low to show my fly was down!

Larry

So much for not being able to find my happy a** with both hands and a flashlight! (Do not look into Tank Searchlight with remaining eye!)

The "fly" was down because your "nuked" it when it flew in front of your light!
    WWII 60" Anti Aircraft Carbon Arc (Sold), Short Arcs: 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600 Watt M-134 Gun Light, 500 Watt X-500-14s, 500 Watt Starburst, 300 Watt Locators, Megaray, 150 Watt Set Beam & Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, LarryK14@52V

Here are about a dozen screenshots. Click for larger images.

Last edited by LuxLuthor; 05-31-2007 at 11:09 PM.

Flashaholic*

OK you guys with the ability to capture screenshots, how about one with all the CPFers along with a label of who's who. The only person I knew the CPF identity for was Jonathan.

Okay, everyone, some news. I've been talking with LowBat, and we've decided that I should move all discussion of DVD copies to PM. So, if you want a DVD copy of the show and haven't PMed me,

send me a PM with your address.

Also, for those of you who posted your addresses here for all to see, I recommend that you edit them out and PM them to me instead.

I'll respond to PMs when I get home in about an hour.

Once again: all info on DVD copies will be done through PM. There will be no more posted list.

Do you know how many unread PMs I have at the moment? 22. Holy crap, Lois.

Flashaholic*

"but the word "Flashaholic" was uttered, (in public no less), "

Yep and the word "fetish" too
    "LIFE………….is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - What A Ride!" #3475

Would you mind sending me a copy as well? Thanks, pm sent with address.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by TigerhawkT3 View Post
    Until we get official confirmation that we're allowed (or not allowed) to distibute copies to other CPFers, I won't do anything. How does that sound, Lux?

Oh, and I don't think YouTube would delete it - just search for "National Geographic," and you'll get lots of hits.

So here's the updated list, contingent on our receiving proper legal permission to proceed with the duplication of said materials blahblahblah:

DM51
    benighted
    greenLED
    dduane
    London Lad
    DonShock
    jch79
    Aircraft800
    BMRSEB
    thingsforjason
    tadbik
    vaism
    Darien
    Beamhead (need address)
    winny

Tiger,

For your protection...I recommend that you keep your lists by PM records only....as technically this is going beyond fair use if MPAA wants to make an example (like they & RIAA do all the time). Most file sharing cases were not related to someone selling them. I can almost guarantee that NGC is not going to give a release for public distribution that they do not control. YouTube will delete it for the same reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerhawkT3 View Post
    Until we get official confirmation that we're allowed (or not allowed) to distibute copies to other CPFers, I won't do anything. How does that sound, Lux?

Oh, and I don't think YouTube would delete it - just search for "National Geographic," and you'll get lots of hits.

So here's the updated list, contingent on our receiving proper legal permission to proceed with the duplication of said materials blahblahblah:

DM51
    benighted
    greenLED
    dduane
    London Lad
    DonShock
    jch79
    Aircraft800
    BMRSEB
    thingsforjason
    tadbik
    vaism
    Darien
    Beamhead (need address)
    winny
    Here's how it sounds:

if it weren't for watching so many repeat shoots, and bulldozers, and misinformation about LEDs and electricity and efficiancy it might have been a good show worth watching. LOL,.. oh well... nothing about the show in any way would inspire a non-flashaholic to become one.

The crap about LEDs being 10 times as efficiant and generating no heat was the worst. That only applies if you compare the longest life "interior lighting" bulb you can get your hands on to the best LED. And certainly does not compare in the flashlight world itself, where LEDs are inline and up to ~3x as efficiant in most cases.

Also really bothered me that as they were discussing the manufacturing of bulbs, they talked as if Carley was the only bulb manufacture in the world. And then while discussing incandecent bulbs, showed a picture on screen of a LED flashlight,.. felt like a lot of "filler" shots, randomly situated and repeated to fill out the hour with eye-candy, very little substance.

If they WERE 10 times as efficiant they WOULDn't be making any heat, but unfortunately, LEDs are still converting an enourmous amount of energy into heat. Many LEDs are actually LESS efficiant than incandecent bulbs, and we all know that high powered LEDs do NOT have a limitless lifespan.
    Last edited by mdocod; 05-31-2007 at 11:16 PM.

Flashaholic*

I was thinking about this all day at work. I got home ran some errands and totally forgot it was on tonight. I was able to catch the last 10 minutes or so. Guess I have to wait until Saturday or until someone posts highlights on youtube.
    Man fears the darkness, and so he scrapes away at the edges of it with fire (flashlights) - Rei Ayanami NGE

Admin formerly
    known as 'Sasha'

Well I thought the show was great! My husband and I just sat here saying, "that's so-and-so"... "that's so-and so"... We figured that between the two of us, we know either from on line or in person at least 70% of the people that were in that program. Too cool!!

And I must say that Jim and Jonathan did us proud... as did all of the other "flashaholics"... : You guys definately make it worth it for me to keep this place going strong...

Very interesting program on flashlights and I enjoyed it. Got to see JimH, tvodrd, modamag and some other familiar faces. I'd see it again.

Enjoy!
    LUX'Ottica

The show made me proud to be a flashaholic. Yeah... they had to dumb it down for the general public, but they do it with every other show on the "educational" channels. I learned some history and really enjoyed the pics of old lights.

I agree with the bull-doser shots... pointless. I didn't mind the repreated shots of SF lights though.
    EDC: HDS Ra Clicky T SN7156 (100L WWGD) or Lunasol 20 (I can't choose between the two)
    Favorites: Sub 1-D Tri-XML Copper Mag | DBS V3 XML w/ Aspheric Lens | Leaf/SF MN21 Turbo Lego | The Kroma

1 - Ok, let's start a list of the lights featured in the show.

2 - Is there more on the "fire" light here at CPF?

3 - Darn VHS. I'm at my partents and they live in the 80's Got it taped though.

Great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ss2nv View Post
    Bah. I wasn't very impressed. It's cool that they showed some of our own folks, but it seemed they were more interested in showing how much of an environmental impact making flashlights has on the earth. They made it sound like all that aluminum and all those batteries JUST goes into making flashlights and nothing else. Must have been a tree hugger doing the story...
    Exactly how I feel. I was looking forward to this I had set up the DVR only to be disappointed they spent all of 3 minuets on LED's that are "changing the flashlight world" The no heat from LED's was from a guy working for Lumileds And as a Firefighter your not using a handheld such as a A2, and defiantly not a SF Beast.

I really think it could have been a better show with loosing the your flashlight is causing global warming edge and sticking to the technology behind the current lights.
    Side note how long before someone from M@G see that moding clip & starts suing
    Last edited by Bogie; 05-31-2007 at 11:32 PM.
    SF 6P/G2/E2e/E2d/E2DL/E1e/L2/A2-PP(R)/A2(G)/L1(R)/L1(G)/M95/KL4(x2)/KL4(Blk)
    Gladius,Inova X5(R),Microlight(G)
    Costco/HF HID

Was it me or did some of you come away with a feeling...

"Flashlights are bad for the environment."

There was so much talk of digging "dirt" (aka sand) for the glass, using so much electricity for aluminum, and using fuel for transporting raw materials.

Overall, I did not like the way the show was produced.

What I liked:
    Clips of REAL Flashaholics (CPF guys did us proud)
    Mini-tour of the Surefire factory (inc. PK "the salesman" )
    History lesson on flashlights
    Last edited by blahblahblah; 06-01-2007 at 12:03 AM. Reason: spelling

the flashlight=enviromental impact issue was blaring like everyone is saying, felt like an attack on flashlights from a green perspective. lol...

Please... anyone who was in the show, don't take my complaints as directed @you. The stuff highlighting the flashaholic crowd was pretty neat, but kinda felt like they were making fun of us at the same time, lol. The naroration just left a lot to be desired, and certainly that was not the fault of any of the familiar faces around here.

Was that an LEDbeam they kept shoing rolling around? hehe.

Opps, I stand corrected. It was a USL.
    Last edited by BVH; 06-01-2007 at 01:33 PM.
    WWII 60" Anti Aircraft Carbon Arc (Sold), Short Arcs: 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600 Watt M-134 Gun Light, 500 Watt X-500-14s, 500 Watt Starburst, 300 Watt Locators, Megaray, 150 Watt Set Beam & Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, LarryK14@52V

Just watched it, great job to ALL involved.

Tim

I'm not a FLASHAHOLIC but I play one on TV !!!!!!!tv...

For fun, someone post a count of how many times they show the chrome mag rolling around with the LED in it (if you are going to watch it again). They loved showing that thing. Kinda annoyed me how they showed a lot of LED flash lights through the whole show, but only talked about them for a couple of minutes.

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by BVH View Post
    Nauss, the fire-starter was Mac's "Torch". Lots of info here:

http://www.candlepowerfora.com/Fora/...ight=torch+mac
    I'm pretty sure it was JimH's USL that did that duty. Just for the record,

Larry
    So much for not being able to find my happy a** with both hands and a flashlight! (Do not look into Tank Searchlight with remaining eye!)

Some more pics from NGC.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast