Bay Area get together for television program

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bay Area get together for television program (Airing on NGC May 31st and June 2nd)

I'll try to summarize this thread if you're just seeing it for the first time. I was contacted by Winton/duPont Films of San Francisco last year. They were in the process of making a one hour special for The National Geographic Channel on the history of flashlights. They had seen my CPF thread on night hiking where I happened to post my phone number. They originally wanted to film a night hike, but knowing there is so much more to CPF, we setup a flashlight modding session and BBQ at MODAMAG's home. This was followed by a trip to a nearby park where they did some more filming of us putting our flashlights to use. TVODRD made the trip up from Southern California with his famous, and soon to be nationally famous, tank searchlight. The show is a must see for the serious flashaholic, and made even more special since there will be a segment on your fellow CPFers!

UPDATE: MAY 16TH, 2007
We finally have air dates for our show. :party:

Thursday, May 31st, 5pm and 8pm PT --- or --- 8pm and 11pm ET

Saturday, June 2nd, 11am PT --- or --- 2pm ET

Thursday, June 7th, 4pm and 11pm PT --- or --- 7pm and 2am ET

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/PT/popup/200705311700.html

Man-Made: The Flashlight [TV-G]

Originally considered a novelty item, The Flashlight has quickly become one of the world's most trusted tools. Each American owns an average of 3 or 4 flashlights, but providing light is not their only function. Join the National Geographic Channel to trace the flashlight's history and take a look at its unexpected role in our lives. From a military flashlight that can blind an enemy to crime-fighting flashlights used to find hidden clues, innovators continue to expand the flashlight's use.

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: December, 2006

The production company ran into a problem and has to reschedule the shoot. After talking with Jonathan (modamag) and the film company, we have come up with a new date: Saturday, January 6th. The meeting times remain the same. My apologies to those who have already made plans and the inconvenience this reschedule will cause. I usually stand firm when a date is set so everyone can rely on it, but in this case the rescheduling is necessary. I'm fairly certain we will not have anymore scheduling changes after this; that is unless something like modamag's house catches fire in a modding accident or we get the earthquake of the century. I will also be sending out PMs to be sure everyone who signed up gets this message.

I hope everyone can make the new date, and maybe a few others who couldn't before.

Larry (LowBat)

There is a program in the works about flashlights that will be airing on the National Geographic channel early next year. It will be a one hour program on the history, manufacturing, and the future of flashlights. They would like to include a segment about those of us who make flashlights their hobby.

The date for this get together will be Saturday, January 6th. If you are interested in attending please post. There will be a film crew present and a few interviews will be taken.

We will be at two locations:

The first location will be at modamag's garage in San Jose at 2 pm where some of us will be modding flashlights. Jonathan suggested we also make this a pot-luck event, so please post if you can bring something for the group. If you want to work on a flashlight too, please include a brief description of what you'd like to do so Jonathan can decide if he has the space, tools, and possible parts needed for your project. I'm not sure how big of a group we'll have yet, but currently there isn't a size limit.

Please PM modamag if you need his address or directions.

The second location will be the parking lot at Mission Peak Regional Park in Fremont. It is open until 10pm and an easy 10 minute freeway drive from modamags place. The tank searchlight will not interfere with aircraft here, and can be shined on the mountain side at a distance of 1.5 miles. There is a paved parking lot with over 30 spaces, a restroom (no sink), and water fountains. Terrain is rolling hills and vegetation free, except for a few rows of trees along the creeks. I suggest bringing a jacket and a folding chair with you. We aren't having the potluck here, but a few simple snacks and cokes are fine. We are setting up a few tables so you'll have a place to put your flashlights down, although please don't leave anything unattended as this is a public place. Those that only want to attend this second location at Mission Peak are welcome. The group from modamag's will probably arrive somewhere just before sunset. The location is the parking lot at the end of Stanford Avenue in Fremont.

Please refer back to this post (#1) for updates, directions, and other details.

Additional:

I've got feedback from a few who are unsure if they want to appear on television. The interviews are voluntary, but if you don't want to appear on camera at all then you will want to skip this event.

modamag says those who want to show up at noon to get a head start on their projects are welcome.

Attendance List:

- modamag
- CroMAGnet
- LowBat
- cqbdude
- kinzli
- JimH
- vacuum3d
- Weylan
- weedle256
- SheDevil
- dduane
- DrJ w/Toast & Angel
- paulr ?
- bisley
- tvodrd with AN/VSS-3A (tank searchlight)
- Beamhead and Ladybeam
- PaulB +3

Pot Luck:

JimH - pot of chili
vacuum3d - ice and drinks
modamag - Korean BBQ, pizzas, eggrolls
SheDevil - brownies and other goodies
Weylan - dim-sum
dduane - chinese chicken salad
DrJ - ice cream/sorbet
Ladybeam - turkey chili

Last edited:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow - that's really awesome! I'm in for the meeting at modamag's house, for sure. I hope someone brings an XR-E light or two!

The official website for Alum Rock Park says that the park closes half an hour after sunset. That doesn't sound good for flashlight testing.

EDIT: I can't think of any flashlights I'll want to mod at the moment, but I'd like to wire up some of my buzzers in Mag mods.

Last edited:

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
TigerhawkT3 said:
The official website for Alum Rock Park says that the park closes half an hour after sunset. That doesn't sound good for flashlight testing.
Yes most parks close at sunset which tends to make my night hiking difficult. When we had the Flashapooza over the summer I contacted city, county, and state parks trying to locate a park that would allow us to stay after-hours and hold our event. The park I was able to negotiate to hold our Flashapalooza was Grant Ranch, and it's a possibility to use again, but I want to keep this close to modamag's place as possible. Another reason I'm looking into Alum Rock is I'm told the ranger there is a complete flashlight nut. :)

cqbdude

Enlightened
Count me in please.....:rock:

I would like to do my 2D mag mod..with tri-cree led...

Last edited:

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Midpeninsula Open Space District issues permits to groups of astronomers for night use of the parking lots in their preserves.
We could probably get permission from them.
Just make sure we use a DIFFERENT preserve from the astronomers
(they usually use the one off of Page Mill Road).

Last edited:

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
There was also an astronomy group that uses Grant Ranch Park. I planned our event last summer when they wouldn't be there, but found out several showed up off schedule. Luckily there was enough distance (I think) that our light show didn't interfere with their star gazing.

Greta

Flashaholic
I'm awaiting a reply from Sasha for her permission to mention the internet web site that has brought us all together, CandlePower Forums.

Lowbat... I apologize for not responding to your PM... :eek:

Not a problem with me if you would like to mention CPF... it's a great community and deserves recognition for such! Have a GREAT time!!! :D

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
Won't make it on the 23rd because i'm flying out in the weeeee morning hours! Enjoy guys! Hope to see you guys soon again!

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Sasha! :thumbsup: We'll try not to screw things up too badly.

goldserve: Sorry we couldn't get the timing to work for you. All things considered, the 23rd is about the best day possible for this to happen.

slogan: welcome, I think you're going to enjoy this.

Last edited:

tedjanxt

Enlightened
I'd be in, but we fly out for Chicago that night, would be rough...

*But* I'm interested in future get-togethers, for sure :)

Norm

Retired Administrator
Love to get a copy of this on DVD after it airs, I'm sure it will never be shown in Australia. I would also be happy to make copies available to other Aussies.
Norm

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Norm said:
Love to get a copy of this on DVD after it airs, I'm sure it will never be shown in Australia. I would also be happy to make copies available to other Aussies.
Norm
I'm planning on getting a copy so PM/remind me around February and I'll mail you a copy. Besides our CPF segment, I'm told there will be a lot of good information on flashlights that should make this a worthy addition to your video library. :popcorn:

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in. Worst case scenario for night time would be the vacant lot next to Jonathan's house - not too bad for a fall back position.

If we're doing pot luck, I'll bring a pot of chili.

vacuum3d

Enlightened
I'm in. I don't know if I'll attend the night event, but I'll be at Jonathan's house. I would like to continue working on the unfinished mod that Jonathan and I worked on last time. Please suggest some food dishes I could bring. Or, if Jonathan can tell us what he'll provide, we can bring something that's not on the menu.

ernest

Weylan

Enlightened
I would love to come if I can get permission,
I have a trilux 2D I need to bore and finish.
I have 2x 2C I need to take the anodizing off of the bottom inside to use 3x123a cells.
I have a LionCub that I need to open the inside head up a "TINY" bit.

Weylan

Enlightened
Wife wanted to know if they wish to inverview a flashlight widow... :grin:

But she did say I could go. yea...