Improved LumiLEDs LEDs in the works

*Retired*
November 2006 in Photonics Spectra, page 105

They mention that at Royal Philips LumiLEDs, scientists there have just combined both flip-chip and thin film approaches and Quantum Wells, to their high efficiency hybrid Lab LED dies (dice), and have finally managed to increase the output to 60lm/W @ 350mA! Very nice possible improvement for the Luxeon. It will be nice to see improved devices once they manage to figure out how to produce the LED die in a production environment, get them then designed into the Luxeons and making modifications needed in the Luxeons, get all the processes worked out and in place for using this new die, and get them on the market, a few years down the road. This is great news.

By underdriving the die at 20mA, they were able to achieve 96lm/W.

The die is larger, the same size as the 80lm/W CREE XR-E, at 1,000um by 1,000um (1x1mm)

Scientists say that this new LumiLEDs (the folks that make the Luxeon) lab LED has a luminance that is 50% higher than a standard automotive halogen filament, when the die was driven at 1,000mA.

They are still working hard to further improve performance, trying to figure out how to extract more light out of the die, working on how to lower the forward voltage, and also reducing the thermal loading effects.

Footnote in the article mentions Applied Physics Letters, Online, so you may also find it there.

It is really good to see researchers around the world making great strides in their research labs at various companies, there are a great many products that have better performance working their way to the market right now.

The future is BRIGHT!

PAB

Enlightened
I may not know where I am, but I'm not lost
NewBie said:
LumiLEDs, scientists there have just combined both flip-chip and thin film approaches and Quantum Wells, to their high efficiency hybrid Lab LED dies (dice), and have finally managed to increase the output to 60lm/W @ 350mA!

Um... that's great, but isn't it too little too late? Their competitors (Cree, SSC, even Nichia) already have higher efficiency LEDs coming more quickly.

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now if they keep the footprint the same that would mean all the hosts, reflectors and
design in general can be easily reused! Go Lumileds!

Monolith

Enlightened
4sevens said:
Now if they keep the footprint the same that would mean all the hosts, reflectors and
design in general can be easily reused! Go Lumileds!
It's a cree size die.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Wow, I didn't know they were this far behind! I don't think anyone will care about a 60 lm/W LED that won't be released for a few years. By then Cree will probably be around 150 lm/W.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
chevrofreak said:
silly Lumileds, completely behind the times :ohgeez:

There was a time when they were the leaders... but today, i think they are no longer younger, they have now grown big and moving slowly.

Cree is the New & Bright kid on the block :)

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I can see a day when we reach the maximumn possible efficiency in LEDs and the choices become based primarily upon price per unit. Perhaps Lumileds will eventually catch up to Cree and beat them on price based upon large volume production.

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
PhotonWrangler said:
I can see a day when we reach the maximumn possible efficiency in LEDs and the choices become based primarily upon price per unit. Perhaps Lumileds will eventually catch up to Cree and beat them on price based upon large volume production.

Predicting a technology will ever be perfected is silly..

*Retired*
Actually, the guy who "invented" or "improved" the blue LED, depending on what camp you are from, the one that used to work at Nichia, has been fiddling around with polar and non-polar methods inside the LEDs, and claims that once they figure out how to get rid of all the defects it creates, it stands to vastly improve brightness, not only that, but to nearly stop the blue shift, which is one of the reasons white LEDs shift with drive current and temperature.

So, if they ever get these things to a point that not much room remains for output, they can then go after tint, tint-shift, and even beam distribution, or creating a reflector effect right in the die itself...then they can keep on working on how to make them smaller, keep the efficiency up, and drive them even harder-while improving methods for getting the heat out.

From where I stand, I bet folks will be able to spend their lifetimes improving various areas...