Flakey has done it again!!!!!

Flakey

Enlightened
Since this is the ******* child of PVC, a chrystler 300C, and some lithium ion D cells i have no idea where i should be posting this .... but w/e everybody take a look!

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you. 35W HID PIPE BOMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

d83d7dffede3.jpg

It is running a 35W hid bulb and ballast out of a new chrystler 300C. The ballast is being fed by 4 D size lithium ion batteries. (PTC only no protection circut)

Yes it looks like a pipe bomb, thats because the battery holder is pvc, and the lamp assembly, ballast, auto style reflector and lense are all held on by black duct tape. the swich is a toggle style 120V 15A swich, availible at any major hardware store.... shown here
c8809e2ca5d2.jpg

But do you want to know the most impressive thing about this weapon gone wrong? IT ACTUALLY WORKS!!!!!

668dab03205e.jpg

AND BOY does it work!!!!!!!!

Time for a really unfair beam comparison? i thought so.

This is my back yard lit by my U2 on full power! 100L
4095818270ca.jpg

Right, impressive and all ... so here is the 35W HIDBOMB
d2a8e5d92774.jpg

Yes, that is the same back yard ..... pics are really bad, i know, but you get the picture!!!

Last edited:

Ken 222

Newly Enlightened
Neighbors are on the phone to the PD right now! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I like it.

Ken

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Maybe you could change your post re pipe ____. All kinds of intellegent equiment out there that just loves to pick up words like that and send them to dark suited guys with dark glasses, driving dark colored SUV's.

Bill

Flakey

Enlightened
Bullzeyebill said:
Maybe you could change your post re pipe ____. All kinds of intellegent equiment out there that just loves to pick up words like that and send them to dark suited guys with dark glasses, driving dark colored SUV's.

Bill

dark colored suv's huh? i wonder if i could salvage some bulbs / ballasts!

as far as the packaging, this is really just my prototype to proove to myself that the 14.4V of battery wont be a problem for the ballast, which it isnt. also the focusing of the bulb i didnt like at first, but i now love. the beam is VERY horrizontal, which is quite the way humans see naturally. it works beautifully on the trails! i must say

Sable

Enlightened
A 300C headlight on a stick?

Colour me interested...I love mine. Between my "better half" and myself we have two cars with HIDs - a Mazda 3 and my gently used 300C. I'll never go back to halogen headlamps...

Flakey

Enlightened
Yeah actually in the optics, between the bulb and the lense is a big restrictor plate that keeps alot of light from getting out, so that you wouldnt blind other motorists, with that removed im getting alot more light out the front. it is absurdly bright, and the near 2 hour runtime aint bad either!

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is that black tape "normal" black tape or HA-III black tape? I was thinking about a device like that but the HA-III natural or HA-III black tape I really have my heart set on.

Ya know, a titanium bezel would really be the icing on the cake and could you put some soft knurling on the PVC pipe?

Flakey

Enlightened
To answer some questions, no the tape is Black anodized (not haIII) duct tape. the bezel is high density ABS pipe. the body is high pressure ready PVC with knurling from my channel locks that i use to get the tailcap off when i need to recharge my batteries. which is not all that often! ::preys to the HID god:: so yeah hopefully it wont explode!