Varta CR123 $1.20 ea shipped

Outrider

Newly Enlightened
Battery Station has a deal on Varta (Rayovac?) CR123's made in Japan.
50 units for $ 60.00 Shipped. At this price I had to order. Any feedback on these would be much appreciated!

westfork

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up a couple boxes of these from Kevin. With only a couple days with them what can I say - the ones used work as expected. They are supposed to be a premium battery. Great price!

Now that the word is out I had to grab another box.

Last edited:

westfork

Newly Enlightened
No, These have the black label with gold band top and bottom and mostly gold lettering. Labeled as "PHOTO Lithium" and made in Japan.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a pretty darned good deal.

Would one of you be willing to mail a single cell to me so I can compare it to the Surefire, Rayovac and Sanyo cells that I've run through my P1?

Fenix%20P1%20-%20overall%20output%20-%20regulatable%20cells.png

It might give a better idea of their value vs the others. The Rayovacs can be had 20 for $19.95 from Borac, but if you only order 20 the shipping is almost $7, making them about $1.35 each. The Surefires cost me about $26 for 12 for a cost of about $2.16 each. The Sanyo's were from Botac as well, so about $27 for 20, making them the same price as the Rayovac.

If the Vartas are made in Japan they may infact be quite excellent cells.

westfork

Newly Enlightened
chevrofreak said:
That's a pretty darned good deal.

Would one of you be willing to mail a single cell to me so I can compare it to the Surefire, Rayovac and Sanyo cells that I've run through my P1?

If the Vartas are made in Japan they may infact be quite excellent cells.

You got it. This information will be useful to all of us. I will PM you.
Lloyd

RCatR

Enlightened
I love Varta's alkaline AA's-they seemed to keep my camera running longer than the sony rechargeables we used at my highschool

In my opinion Varta does a good job with batteries

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Varta AA and AAA cells used to get shipped with Peak LED Lights... IMHO, Varta cells are Great. Longest lasting batteries I have seen till now.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the package today, and here are the results of the tests.

The lime green line is from a cell that was fairly cold. It's been something like 15 degrees Fahrenheit here lately so the cells got pretty chilly. It starts out lower, then increases in brightnes, presumably as the cell warms up. The second (red line) cell was kept in my pocket for half an hour to warm it up a bit and it did slightly better.

First the Varta on their own.

Varta%20CR123a.png

Now versus several other CR123a's.

Varta%20CR123a%20vs%20Others.png

The Energizers surprised me a bit since they're reportedly supposed to be the same cells as the Rayovac and Surefires.

Much thanks to westfork for sending these to me to test. They seem like an excellent value for the money.

cy

Flashaholic
no clue about varta CR123 cells, but I purchased 100+ varta AA & AAA alk cells (made in germany)

almost all leaked!

Outrider

Newly Enlightened
Thank you - Once again we all are in your debt, Sir !!:goodjob: :thanks:

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was sent another Varta 123 and a Duracell Ultra to run, but was asked to let them warm up for a few days before running them. They've both been added to the previous graphs.

I really have no idea why the 3rd varta has a slope like that. I thought there might be something messed up with my light so I ran my last Rayovac and it performed as expected, although it ran slightly shorter than the first one. The Duracell Ultra slightly edged them all out, but it was close enough to the Rayovac and Surefire to support the theory that they are the same cells.

I have some really fresh Energizer E2 CR123's with a date code of 2016 (vs the 2012 on the one thats on the graph) and I'll run one of those and add it as well.

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks chevro! i get these cheap and have always been pleased, glad to see it in a graph.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always heard Energizer, Streamlight, and Surefire cells were the same, but both Rayovac and Duracell made their own? Ah, the incest in every industry.

MorePower

Enlightened
jsr said:
I always heard Energizer, Streamlight, and Surefire cells were the same, but both Rayovac and Duracell made their own? Ah, the incest in every industry.

The only lithium chemistry cells that Rayovac makes are coin cells (2016, etc.). Lithium cylindrical cells are purchased and rebranded as Rayovac.