RMSK, Inc.        

Thread: Airplane buffs: Boeing unveils black project stealth plane

Flashaholic*

Default Airplane buffs: Boeing unveils black project stealth plane

I thought this was pretty cool:

The story is here: Super cool stealth aircraft

Makes 'ya wonder what else is there...I.E. the SR-75, and other still not seen goodies...
    --dan

Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior

Default Re: Airplane buffs: Boeing unveils black project stealth plane

That is cool for what have become industry standard stealth technology. How about this pic of the latest in stealth planes.
    . . . . . . . .
    Can't hardly see it, more visible if not in snowstorm.

Flashaholic*

Originally posted by witsend:
    That is cool for what have become industry standard stealth technology. How about this pic of the latest in stealth planes.
    ...snip...
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Actually, if you rad the article, you'd realize how close you are - The photos are of a Tech demonstrator that is being RETIRED after 10 years! The say that it _HAS_ active color cammo

***TOP SECRET***

***UNRELEASED STEALTH FIGHTER PICTURES***

Here's a picture of the NEWEST stealth fighter, currently being tested at Area 51.

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

Man, they are only showing us what they want us to see. I saw films from late 1960's of a computer domonstration where there was a split screen showing a tele-conference type set up with an instructor describing how the interface worked and how to operate the PC. The other half of the screen showed a setup with icons and a pointer that you hover over an item to pick it and perform a function. Sound familiar? Figure whatever you are seeing now is about 15-20 years old, and whatever we do see now, they have more that are smaller, faster, etc. I can't help but notice that so much of the technology that we use today was top secret stuff 20 years ago.

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/icon14.gif[/img]

I don't see any moveable flight surfaces except at the back of the wings....

What gets that nose up?

I just ain't quite sure I believe it, knowing what I know!

Unenlightened

x-ray ROFL [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Where do you get these pics [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*
    NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!

Does this mean that white LEDs and LUXEONs have been well-guarded secrets all this time? Why those far-gone bastidges....(Johnny Dangerously).

Ed

Flashaholic*

Well think about it, they had night vision back during Korean war. Starlight scopes in Vietnam. When did they actually start development of them? Look how many household items we use today that was produced for use by our astronaunts.

But that doesn't apply to LED's. They were invented back about the same time as the internet by Al Gore.

Flashaholic

Not too sure on the night vision quote, but if any of you flashaholics have children you can thank NASA for diapers. Also sad to see that NASA spend millions researching pens that could write in zero gravity. You know what the Russians did? They used pencils. Cheap. Easy.

Both the internet and LED technology started back in the 60s, they just weren't discovered for full benefit until the early 90's. Remember when the first remote control came out for a TV et al that they used infrared LEDs. However, up until recently, LEDs were too expensive to use for most lighting applications because they're built around advanced semiconductor material. The price of semiconductor devices has plummeted over the past decade, however, making LEDs a more cost-effective lighting option for a wide range of situations.

Flashaholic*

Originally posted by Stefan:
    ...snip... Also sad to see that NASA spend millions researching pens that could write in zero gravity. You know what the Russians did? They used pencils. Cheap. Easy.

...snip...
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">FALSE - Fisher did it for free

Snopes Web Page

Those pencils also have 2 huge problems
    1)They are extremley flamable - NASA ened up VERY afraid (with good reason) of anything flamable on board Post the Apollo 1 fire
    2)Pencil Points break, and they have to be sharpened. When you sharpen a pencil (or even just USE it), you get graphite dust. Bad enough, here on the ground, but in space? Just picture that nice CONDUCTIVE graphite dust getting in to the 1960s era electronics [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Flashaholic

Originally posted by PlayboyJoeShmoe:

What gets that nose up?

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Vectored thrust.

Flashaholic*

Hey am I the only one that remembers ultrasonic remote controls for TV's?

Night vision - the Germans had IR viewers in WWII. Part of the differences in the US and Soviet space technologies in the early days were which German scientists they/we ended up with.

Thank NASA for IC's, and printed circuits, I believe. The old technology was explained to me as "woven wire", where they weave the wires through a perfed board, so that the g-forces don't rip them off, as they would wire-wrap. An accident that you can strap a through hole pc board to an artillery shell and it won't fly apart? (Oh, and whatever NASA didn't invent was done by AT&T Bell Labs, and later IBM or Xerox. (Then later stolen and corrupted beyond all hope of repair by microsoft. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ))

On the control surfaces - think elevon. They've been using combined elevator/aileron on some planes, like delta wings, for a long time. I'd also suspect vectored thrust, too.

Color? maybe. Heat/IR and sound? You betcha. Near space, and/or autonomous? I'm also betting...

Originally posted by Luff:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by PlayboyJoeShmoe:

What gets that nose up?

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Vectored thrust.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Maybe. But looking at the last couple of years of Aviation and Space Technology I don't see vectored thrust being common on anything but the Harrier until very recently.

Besides, what did that little plane prove anyway?

I'm quite sure there is something that replaced the Blackbird and scared the pants off the Soviets... but I can't see what this plane could have had to do with it.

I just don't trust planes that don't look SOMEWHAT normal.

Flashaholic*

Originally posted by Albany Tom:
    [QB]Hey am I the only one that remembers ultrasonic remote controls for TV's?

QB]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You mean them old "clickers"? Back then it was a luxury. And you didn't complain or hesitate if you had to get up to change the channel. But of course there was only 4 or 5 channels.