CPF SUREFIRE L6 OWNERS WITH Z48 PLEASE POST PICS!!!!

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF SUREFIRE L6 OWNERS WITH SW02 PLEASE POST PICS!!!!

Was thinking of getting a Surefire SW02 for my L6 because its reputed to be the best tailcap from Surefire and it looks "fully sick bro!!!"

Strangely enough, I cannot seem to find one for sale on the SUREFIRE.COM website...:thinking:

The standard Z58 tailcap on my L6 is faulty and has lost its momentary function, it can only click on or off and only if I use harder than normal finger pressure to activate the switch.

Anyone can provide details of where is a good site online to purchase one? Or if anyone has a spare SW02 they wish to sell, please let me know!

Thanks!

Last edited:

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: CPF SUREFIRE L6 OWNERS WITH SW02 PLEASE POST PICS!!!!

Best tailcap? In what sense? Form or function?

The SWO2 have relatively high resistance. That's probably why they quit making them. The newest ones (clickies) are much better. They're not uber cool looking though.

My motto is FUNCTION > FORM

Kai

Newly Enlightened

CM said:
The SWO2 have relatively high resistance.

Really? I did not know that. How does this affect incandescant bulb or LED? How much will runtime suffer?

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Kai said:
Really? I did not know that. How does this affect incandescant bulb or LED? How much will runtime suffer?

For high current drive incandescent, you will notice significant yellowing of the beam compared to just shorting out through the tailcap. As far as runtime goes, it's hard to say because it's a function of how much current is drawn by the load.

For example, let's say you have a HOLA on an M3 and it draws two amps from the cell. A 200 milliohm switch resistance amounts to about 0.4V drop just through the switch. I have compared the beam of a 9V HOLA using an SW02 and the latest clickie switch and comparing to a reference light (Surefire M6 :devil: ) the difference is noticeable. With the L6, current draw is more modest but why dump power through your switch when you don't have to?

Kai

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the info. Might just sell my SW02 and just use the twisty.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Kai said:
Thanks for the info. Might just sell my SW02 and just use the twisty.

I hate to tell you this but the twisties are just as bad. Buy the latest version clickies. They're good for several amps without yellowing the beam which means very low path resistance.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast

CM said:
I hate to tell you this but the twisties are just as bad. Buy the latest version clickies. They're good for several amps without yellowing the beam which means very low path resistance.

So which are the latest version clickies? The Z58?

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Fusion_m8 said:
So which are the latest version clickies? The Z58?

Yes. Actually all versions of the Z58 don't have the resistance problem. All of the Z57 are also "resistance free" relatively speaking.

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Oh, I did not know that. Is this "official" and observed on multiple copies of the SW02 and the twisties ... and then of course on the Z48, too?

Either way ... the SW02 is still one mighty satisfying tailcap, and there are virtually no reports of failure on those. I will keep them.

bernie

blahblahblah

Enlightened

I called Surefire last week. I was told SW02 and most clickies are on back order. The crappy (IMHO) phone operator then told me to look at the website. I told her I couldn't find it on the website. After going back and forth on me explaining it didn't come up on a search, she said she had them in stock (even after earlier telling me they were not in stock). She then took my order. I'll see if I get another or not in a week or so. I don't have the most confidence in this operator, but we'll see. FWIW, I have yet to talk to a customer rep at Surefire that actually knows what they are talking about.

Here's a pic for you... M3P and L6P swapping heads (both w/ SW02):
image001a0cs.jpg

Last edited:

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast

LOOK AT THOSE TEETH ON THE L6P:bow:

Sure reminds me of the character JAWS in James Bond's MOONRAKER!!!:naughty:

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast

CM said:
Yes. Actually all versions of the Z58 don't have the resistance problem. All of the Z57 are also "resistance free" relatively speaking.

Hi CM:

What about the Z48 version??

cy

Flashaholic

no clickies for me. LOTC with two stage installed is the only way to go on L6 :D

like everyone else, I'm looking for a SW01 for a decent price.

I've gotten rid of clickies on all my multi-lithium cell lights after an accidental turnon on L6 clickie. good thing I matched up cells before using. L6 got too hot to hold. felt really lucky to avoid venting with flames...

cy

Flashaholic

true enough... but don't like twisting, then clicking to find out where I'm at.

LOTC is way more robust, combined with Me2s switch. it's hard to beat for an LED light like L6.

not saying clickies are prone to failure. but look at feedback of failures of clickies in general, not just surefire. how many reports of failures have you ever seen with LOTC?

it really boils down to personal preference. twisties or clickies?

both my EDC lights are twisties :D

Size15's said:
The Clickie TailCaps do LockOut too FWIW

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just curious, but what's the point of having that big tailcap with a shrouded switch on a CombatGrip light? Seems like it would be uncomfortable, and make it very hard to activate the switch even in a cigar grip, and impossible with the switch pushed back into the palm.
I think they look pretty cool, but....