CSI flashlight

Fenris

Enlightened
I don't think I've ever seen that light on CSI. It's probably just marketing or their definition of CSI is different than the on we're thinking about.
I could be wrong, I guess.

Mad1

Enlightened
The light they use on CSI New York is the Surefire A2 Aviator.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think they are advertising it as a CSI light...not the light used on the CSI TV show. That's how I read it anyways...
smile.gif

CFU

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
bubbamets5505 said:
http://www.nebotools.com/Does anyone have one of these CSI LED flashlights. I have a couple of friends who have them and they look pretty nice. Just wondering what others thought of it?

Are you affiliated with this light :) If you are you should post over in the Dealer section.

Mac

bubbamets5505

Newly Enlightened
Are you affiliated with this light :) If you are you should post over in the Dealer section.

Mac

Absolutely not.:eeksign: Your scaring me man. I've seen too many people get tarred and feathered for advertising on forums. I just wanted too know what others thought about the flashlight before I buy one.:grin2:

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
I think Mac is a little cautious because, besides being a first-time poster... if you said that you have some friends that have one, shouldn't you know if you like it or not? :shrug:

And, my opinion of the light is that, as the specs are very slim for the light in the product catalogue, I can only assume that it's not made of very high-quality materials or optics. Saying a LED is designed to last 110,000 hours clearly makes it known that this company is marketing the light to "normal" people, and not anyone who knows anything about LED's, as we all know here that that by the time the LED reaches that, it has faded quite a bit. Also, the operating temperature... a light that can operate in -40 degrees C (-104 degrees F) is pretty darn impressive - not to mention finding a battery that would work in those temperatures - not to mention finding such conditions in the first place, and then figuring out how to SURVIVE in them!

It looks like a decent design, and there are a bunch of people here who like the side mag-style button, so who knows - it could be good feature. However, they don't even say how the switch activates the LED and the Laser... ??

These light/laser combos never seem like a good idea to me - they usually make compromises on both ends, and you end up with a pretty useless multi-tool. I'd rather carry a good flashlight, and a good laser pointer. But that's me!

I think it's a company trying to jump on the bandwagon of LED technology, which to the mass is still new, and using poor and false marketing to do so.. not to mention using CSI in the name of the light is pretty cheesy, IMHO.

john

Last edited:

bubbamets5505

Newly Enlightened
I think Mac is a little cautious because, besides being a first-time poster... if you said that you have some friends that have one, shouldn't you know if you like it or not? :shrug:

I do like it. But like I said above I want to see others impresions before I get one. I'm a very cautious buyer, especially in an area I know nothing about... Yet.:grin2:

And, my opinion of the light is that, as the specs are very slim for the light in the product catalogue, I can only assume that it's not made of very high-quality materials or optics. Saying a LED is designed to last 110,000 hours clearly makes it known that this company is marketing the light to "normal" people, and not anyone who knows anything about LED's, as we all know here that that by the time the LED reaches that, it has faded quite a bit. Also, the operating temperature... a light that can operate in -40 degrees C (-104 degrees F) is pretty darn impressive - not to mention finding a battery that would work in those temperatures - not to mention finding such conditions in the first place, and then figuring out how to SURVIVE in them!

Thanks Very much for spreading your knowledge. I'm very much a newbie and need all the help I can get.:grin2:

It looks like a decent design, and there are a bunch of people here who like the side mag-style button, so who knows - it could be good feature. However, they don't even say how the switch activates the LED and the Laser... ??

Press the switch once the LEDs come on. Press it again the LEDs go off and the laser pointer comes on. Press it again and the laser pointer goes off.

I think it's a company trying to jump on the bandwagon of LED technology, which to the mass is still new, and using poor and false marketing to do so.. not to mention using CSI in the name of the light is pretty cheesy, IMHO.

john

Maybe so. That's what I want to find out. I guess I'll be the first to see how it is:candle: . I agree about the name.:grin2:

Campdavid

Newly Enlightened
Take a close look at the picture of the light....it looks like a private labeled Coast flashlight to me. They do make one with roughly identical features....

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
bubbamets5505 said:
Maybe so. That's what I want to find out. I guess I'll be the first to see how it is:candle: .
Let's get a review going then! I don't mean to doubt it's potential - I'm just skeptical from a flashaholic's standpoint when specs are pretty skimpy, that it's either a company that doesn't know how to properly writeup the light's specs, or it's a light with specs that would be better off not written down! :shrug:

Let us know how you like it in the reviews section! Photos, beamshots, and runtime comparisons are always helpful, however if you don't have a good camera or measuring equipment, just a nice writeup would be a start!

Also, if you thought the light would be something other CPF'rs might be interested in, you could ask the manufacturer when you order it to send it to www.flashlightreviews.com (user "Quickbeam")or www.ledmuseum.org (user "The_LED_Museum")- both of these guys are well-respected here at CPF, and do a lot of really good thorough reviews, and are a GREAT place to start when buying your first, second, or 100th light!

Have fun, and BTW, welcome to CPF! :thumbsup:

Best,
john :)

bubbamets5505

Newly Enlightened
Let's get a review going then! I don't mean to doubt it's potential - I'm just skeptical from a flashaholic's standpoint when specs are pretty skimpy, that it's either a company that doesn't know how to properly writeup the light's specs, or it's a light with specs that would be better off not written down! :shrug:

Let us know how you like it in the reviews section! Photos, beamshots, and runtime comparisons are always helpful, however if you don't have a good camera or measuring equipment, just a nice writeup would be a start!

Also, if you thought the light would be something other CPF'rs might be interested in, you could ask the manufacturer when you order it to send it to www.flashlightreviews.com (user "Quickbeam")or www.ledmuseum.org (user "The_LED_Museum")- both of these guys are well-respected here at CPF, and do a lot of really good thorough reviews, and are a GREAT place to start when buying your first, second, or 100th light!
I'm actually saving up for a camera right now. I'll be sure and give review once I get the light. Thanks for the links. I bought a SF G2 because of the review by Quickbeam.

Have fun, and BTW, welcome to CPF! :thumbsup:

Best,
john :)

Thanks.:grin2:

cdosrun

Enlightened
Just another point, it looks like it is an infrared laser, not an awful lot of use unless you are using it with cameras or NV equipment.

Andrew

bubbamets5505

Newly Enlightened
Just another point, it looks like it is an infrared laser, not an awful lot of use unless you are using it with cameras or NV equipment.

Andrew

It's not. It's a regular laser pointer. It said class 2 laser on the light.