tell me what 100+ lumen LED light to get

wakemare

Newly Enlightened
i need a powerful 100+LED for the car and home that will be powerful enough to blast away the night and give me decent light for a night walk too. (to ward off evil losers wanting to take my walet) it doesnt matter if its small or large, lemme know what is really good. i was looking at the Surefire L5. but im not all togewther sure what to spend cash on. so let me know ur opinions. cheers guys

M

iced_theater

Enlightened
Surefire U2, L5, L6, L7 are all good. Inova T4, T5 would be good. McGizmo HD45 WWOT, 27LT, Aleph 3. Elektrolumens Tri-Blaster, K2-LongThrow. I'm sure there are others as well. Depends on how much you want to spend, size, rechargeable or not.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Surefires are OK... but if you really want a top quality torch with double the performance at half the price of the Surefires, you can't go past the Lumapower DX1

The DX1 with the Lux V module hoses my Surefire L6 for beam quality and brightness.

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
A fenix P1D-CE is pretty good value too for US$70: 60+ lumens in default mode is perfect for walking; 110+lm on high will scorch assailant retinas; 12lm low will last all night if you get lost; and strobe and SOS are an additional bonus (or not, depending on how you feel). And it's small and easy to carry.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello wakemare:)

If you really want a Led-light with more than 100 Lumens output, forget the mentioned single Led-lights.
What's your price range? Which batteries do you prefer? The brightest ones in therms of overall output and "blasting away the night" are multiple Led-lights.

Like iced_theater said, take a look to ElektroLumens or, if you are willing to spend more, take a search about modded custom Tri-or Quadlux Mag's, Aleph3's....

Best regards

____
Tom

cchurchi

Enlightened
How about a nice Inova T4. 100 lumens, rechareable, AC/DC charger. There is a used one for sale in the flashlights for sale section. I happen to know the guy selling it is a really cool dude. You should check it out.:rock:

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix P1D CE is one great light, get it from www.fenix-store.com ... avail free shipping & extended support from 4SeVeNs

it's 110 Lumens (estimated) for around 45 minutes.... and 60 + lumens for 2.5 hrs ... on a SINGLE CR123A Battery.

Put Rechargeable RCR123A, and you would meet free lumens for atleast 500 battery changes

carrot

Flashaholic
I'll take a different tack and suggest considering the Surefire L2. As it is usually best to consider it a low output light with a "turbo" mode of 100 lumens, you'll have enough power to sweep the area, and then it can revert back to low so you can save battery life and still see where you're going.

It'll also be very suitable for night walks as the low tends to be useful when you're in real darkness (few streetlamps) and when you are around a lot of streetlamps, then you don't need to use the light at all... but of course, this is only one way to use your lights...

bxstylez

Enlightened
since size is no matter, i would recommend the
Nuwai TM-800X3
$70 (shipping included)
purchased at:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/111651

...produces about 250 lumens for a couple of hours using 3D alkalines

pics:
http://webpages.charter.net/jrmac/cpf-sale-page-1/CPF-3x3s/TM-800X3_IMG_0801-med.JPG
http://webpages.charter.net/jrmac/cpf-sale-page-1/CPF-3x3s/TM-800X3_IMG_0806-med.JPG

Test results shows using 4C nimh's, instead of 3D alkalines, doubles lumen output in the mid-400 lumens area
http://webpages.charter.net/jrmac/cpf-sale-page-1/info_page_5/Nuwai_TM-800X3.htm

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
cchurchi said:
How about a nice Inova T4. 100 lumens,

If the T4 follows the pattern of other Inova lights, you can cut that advertised output in half to get something close to reality. :shakehead

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
Wakemare: I think your initial interest in the beautifully-balanced SF L5 is absolutely justified.

Try the Search button here to see several recent (and past) threads re "walk lights" and "L5."

Any decision for this particular task is subject to (a) your ergonomic needs, (b) the unique dictates of your walking environment, and (c) your own cultural, political, and tactical "take" on the broader Self-Defense issue.

My own sense is that most folks have to experiment/go through some kind of "evolution" in zeroing-in on which lighting tools work best for their various illumination requirements. No one light is "perfect" for all tasks, and trying different ones is the heart of the learning curve and joy of flashaholism.

In my own case, I went through a long journey of trying many flashlights for my needs... especially for night-walks. But then, I'm one of those eeevil, violence-prone, proudly un-PC Vast Right Wing Neanderthals who (unlike some) does NOT believe in appeasing, negotiating with, or running away from hostile miscreants who chose to target-select me. Ever. (Besides, I got bad knees and I'm too old to run.) OTOH, if you're a died (sic)-in-the-wool, kinder-gentler, make-as-little-environmental-impact-on-Bambi-and-the-fuzzy-bunny-wabbits, avoid-all-confrontations type, then ANY potent light (a la the L5) probably ain't for you.

The flashlight world's big enough for all of us.

Last edited: