• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

mixing metal types for head and body

arty

Enlightened
I wondered if there would be problems with mixing a stainless head with an aluminum body? I have seen posts with various combos, like brass head and HA bodies, but wondered if this could cause speeded thread wear.
Steel is certainly different than HA and harder than brass....

h_nu

Enlightened
I would worry about the dissimilar metals but I have a stainless Baltic and an Aluminum Shasta. The head does fit. I tried it but was gentle and didn't see any immediate problem. Maybe a wrap of teflon tape would help. I won't be doing this on a regular basis though since the Shasta N cell would probably die quickly with a Baltic load.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mix a stainless Mediterranean head with a 2AA aluminum body and stainless tail. Very strong were it needs to be and I have grip on the knurled HA-III body which helps pull the heat from the head.

Keep the threads lubed up and I would gather that the aluminum threads would wear a bit more maybe. The good thing is the worn part is only $15 and if you cross-thread, the aluminum takes the hit which is cheaper than a new head!

I am thinking about getting an HA-III Baltic 2xAAA body for my stainless head and do the same thing. Could use a bit more grip and heat sinking from the Super Ultra Power hot running head.

SolarPowered

Newly Enlightened
I have a couple Matterhorns with stainless heads and brass bodies. It's a beautiful combination. Plus, it has some practical advantages:

* The head doesn't get as dinged up as an aluminum head.

* The brass body doesn't grind up my keys. (It's just an assumption on my part that this would be a problem with the Peak HA bodies. I used to have an ARC AAA on my keychain, and it majorly ground up my keys, so I'm not willing to risk another HA light on my keychain.)

However, there is one minor problem: At the time I bought this combo, Peak had different threads on the stainless and the brass Matterhorns. They were very, very nice and made me up a couple brass bodies to match my stainless heads. I don't know if the threads are still different or not on current production.

Last edited: