are there any safe locks?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
are there any safe locks?well i saw something on the net today about lock picking and it opened up my mind a bit.are there any locks i can buy that are safe?how about the ones ya enter a code in?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Medeco is top notch; they have some weird-looking keys which can't be duplicated at the corner drugstore. The Best brand is pretty good also, although it's usually only found in businesses.

The strongest lock is only as strong as the door that it's mounted in though. Security should be treated as a layered approach, starting with strong locks and doors. Then add motion-activated lighting and a decent alarm system including perimeter and area sensors. Correctly-aimed and adjusted PIR detectors are pretty hard to get past. Use a dialer panel that can operate with a cell phone backup so it can still dial out if the phone line is cut. Finally, make friends with your neighbors. An alert neighbor can be your best defense.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
raggie33 said:
grrr i mean door locks that are safe and secure

Sure, that's why we carry one of these on our engines and I carry a mini version in my car.

If there is a sliding window or a patio door, 95% of the time we walk or climb in without breaking anything.

If somebody wants to get into your home, they will.

Locks are for honest people.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
only good thing about me is ya can never tell if im home.i dont drive.man ill check medeco locks not sure what i have now.

drizzle

Enlightened
TedTheLed said:
and locks are for insurance companies who need evidence of forced entry..
medecos are nice though.
That seemed to be the main point of that special on "bump-keys" that would open nearly any lock except medeco. Since the key opened the lock there was no evidence of breaking and entering and the insurance companies were resisting paying off.

Added: BTW, just a coincidence about the bump keys. I hadn't read the other thread yet. :)

Last edited:

Uncle Bob

Enlightened
After surfing Google I found that electronic and magnetic locks can foil bump keys. It's not too cool if your electricity goes out though.

dyyys1

Enlightened
Lock-picking, in general, is not a risk to your home. There is almost always an easier way for a criminal to get into a car, house, shed, etc. Most of the time, breaking a window or busting down the door will suffice. In reality, lock-picking is only useful to locksmiths and those who don't want others to know they have been there (i.e. private investigators, police, intelligence agents, etc.). You should probably invest in an alarm system or get a dog if you want to feel safer.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe perhaps something similar to this?
Badge access.
Just swipe your card, door unlocks, walk right in.
Many office buildings have these kinds of locks.
The link I put I just grabbed after an internet search.
There are others that come complete with everything needed.

Galiphrey

Enlightened
Those office building doors are sometimes locked by an electromagnet just grabbing the door (or so it appears) ; and this is something I've often wondered about when I pass under them... It's just magnetism?? That's the lock? It's obviously a very strong electromagnet, but what if I came along with a similarly powerful magnet and opposed it from the outside?

bexteck

Enlightened
Galiphrey said:
Those office building doors are sometimes locked by an electromagnet just grabbing the door (or so it appears) ; and this is something I've often wondered about when I pass under them... It's just magnetism?? That's the lock? It's obviously a very strong electromagnet, but what if I came along with a similarly powerful magnet and opposed it from the outside?

My college uses those magnetic locks on some of the building doors. I looked some up on the net and they had something like 1800 lbs of holding power. I would guess that means it takes 1800 lbs to pull the magnets apart. I think they run on 24VDC, so they can be used with a battery backup system, but I don't know how long that would last.

I wouldn't think another magnet would have much of an effect on them since they are in direct contact with the metal plate on the inside of the door and you would be at least 2 inches away going through the door. They may also not be polarized in all the same direction so it would make opposing it with another magnet difficult.

Raggie, I wouldn't worry too much about your locks. The internet makes lock picking easier than it really is, and unless a thief is after something specific in a particular house, they will most likely look for an unlocked door or window so keep em locked and you won't be the easy target.

You can look into medeco locks but I think they can be quite pricey. You would probably do just fine with something a little cheaper.

Just my 2 cents.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
The maglocks are for access control (letting the right folks through) and not for security. It's amazing how much force is in a handheld pound sledge hammer. The 1800 pound pull can be overcome. The maglock hold will also be much weaker if anything comes between the door and the lock mechanism. That includes a sheet of paper.

Medeco and Abloy are pick resistant, but jus about every lock that's sold has a built in weak spot. This allows trained locksmiths to get past them when they malfunction. A battery operated drill is all that's required to get past most locks.

Daniel

bexteck

Enlightened
gadget_lover said:
The maglocks are for access control (letting the right folks through) and not for security. It's amazing how much force is in a handheld pound sledge hammer. The 1800 pound pull can be overcome. The maglock hold will also be much weaker if anything comes between the door and the lock mechanism. That includes a sheet of paper.

Medeco and Abloy are pick resistant, but jus about every lock that's sold has a built in weak spot. This allows trained locksmiths to get past them when they malfunction. A battery operated drill is all that's required to get past most locks.

Daniel

I have played with the locks at school a little bit, but never with a sledge hammer. I tried to use a large flat head screwdriver to pry the door open but I couldn't do it. I did find that a paper clip taped between the magnet and the plate renders the device useless.