Max

Enlightened
What cooking mishap made this mess?

fd1cbd7d.jpg

fd1cbd77.jpg

Revealed below...

Saaby

Flashaholic
Wait wait--I had this happen to me about a week ago. You dropped a micro-wavable dish filled with a family size can of Ravioli...that's it right?

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a similar, but inverted, event yesterday. Dropping a half full plastic container of salsa. It would have required a much more energetic event to have it reach the ceiling though...

I also somehow failed to take a picture of it.

Eagerly awaiting the answer,
James

Max

Enlightened
Originally posted by larry:
what mishap? it looks like a college student's apartment's kitchen.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well, yes, correct. Mine, to be precise. Picture taken circa 1989.

Max

Enlightened
Originally posted by darell:
Wait - you mean that's NOT how the kitchen is supposed to look?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Um, following the incident we seriously considered redefining "supposed to look" with this new decor for the post 1989 era.

This is the way it was supposed to look:
fd1ca5e1.jpg

Max

Enlightened
Some guesses from others:

</font><ul type="square">[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It looks like a pressure cooker explosion!!!! If this involves beans this can be very painful!</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Overcooked creamed potatoes </font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I would believe the mess was from forgetting about a pot of sauce on the burner and letting it boil for about an hour all over the place. It looks like something that happened to me once.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Exploding spaghetti sauce? </font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Was Someone making Preserves? (Oh, Preserve us all....) </font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">100% positive that the culprit is some tomato product or sauce, maybe even a pasta dish like ravioli. I had a similar mess when I made ravioli from scratch and the ravioli grew as big as my head and the tomato sauce exploded everywhere. </font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Exploding eggs?
Once I left 3-4 eggs in boiling water to hardboil, intending to return in a few minutes. Got caught up in something and came back 30-40 minutes later...after hearing a large bang from the kitchen. Apparently the water eventually boiled away, eggs got hotter and hotter, and eventually flew up into the air and *exploded*. There was egg *everywhere*, ceiling, floor, walls, cupboards, kitchen table, windows.... Gulp.
</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Jason Polack caused this mess? A neat freak that went crazy? Someone who's wife is a bad cook? So he tried? </font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">On examination of the scene of the mess I have come to the conclusion it was clowns or killer clowns from outer space as there is a pie probably the custard cream type so often used by clowns to get laughter or as by the before mentioned killer clowns from outer space to stun there victims. The stains on the wall are tomato sauce and blood the tomato sauce is from a true gourmet. </font>[/list]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Mystery to be revealed tomorrow.

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
This is a cool puzzle aka this should be in Games magazine.

OK here's my take. I disagree with The Profiler that the white/squarish pot blew. The spatter shows even distribution on the pot and the lid along with a lined spatter that is consistent between the two. This tells me that this food vessel isn't the culprit. Oh no, the quary is much more wily.

The silver pot is also guilt free. Because of the spatters it looks like a victim instead of an accomplice or culprit.

The black pan on the upper right burner (assuming facing the stove) is a small mystery. It looks like a frying pan and I don't think it was involved either.

The tan pot is the source of our mystery. Based on the chunks of stuff on the walls, I predict that it was a chunky style pasta sauce. I see 'maters and olives on the wall.

Here's my theory. The occupants were living on the cheap. As such, pasta is a constant menu item. My guess is that on a previous occasion, someone heated up sauce but didn't use it all up. The pot, lid and all went into the fridge where it sat for too long. While in the ice box, the sauce that was previously left on the rim "fused" with the lid sort of sealing it.

Our Desparate-For-Pasta occupants decided that the sauce must be still good because after all, it had been in the fridge. Instead of checking on the contents, the carb eaters simply assumed that the sauce was warming nicely without realizing that the "seal" wasn't allowing steam to escape. Finally the pressure built until we had Blamo!!!!

What do I win? Since we don't have the 'Name the M6' contest anymore, some sort of prize would be nice.

Light-Headed

Enlightened
I would have to agree that the tan pot is probably the source. That looks like the lid to it laying on one of the burners and it appears to have been burned black during the mishap.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Tedtheprofiler is going to say , based on the spatter, that is was sauce in that squarish white pot now on the front burner (was on the back where the burned sauce is) ; the lid somehow stuck, (water making a seal?) then blew off..later lid was replaced...heh, heh??

(Will we have an answer before the Inretech Craig Johnson Fund Trilight burns out?)