What is the best handheld recharable spotlight?

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are so many to choose from! vector, brinkmann, off brands, etc.
What do i need to look for to get the brightest,long throw spotlight? I have heard that the dualbulb, 3million cp vectors really don't have that much more output than the 2million single bulb ones is that true?

SurefireM6

Enlightened
I like the double bulb version because you can use one bulb or 2 at the same time. I usually only use one, and if the bulb goes out you can switch to the other for backup.

Also, the double bulb version comes with 2 batteries instead of 1 so if you use only 1 bulb you almost double your runtime (to around 45 minutes). I think the light output it whiter and more intense due to the 2 batteries providing more amps rather than just 1 battery on most spotlights.

The only comlaint I have is the focus, its not really tight. Its more like a flood and the shape is just funky.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't tell you for sure the "BEST", because that implies that I have tested every one of them.

I've owned a 1 mil CP Vector
Gave my brother-in-law a 3 mil 2 bulb CP vector
and I own a 2 mil CP Optronics http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jhtml?id=0013216514204a&navAction=push&navCount=0&indexId=&podId=0013216&catalogCode=IC&parentId=&parentType=[/UR L]

Of the three, I liked them all, but the one I like the best was the Optronics.

I understand that LSI is very good also. Check them out.

Vector 1 mil CP - Cheap, bright but uneven beam, (some shadows and not even) but at this brightness, shadows are not a problem. Locking ON/OF switch that can be locked in either position. My model did not have a stand, but some now have a work light and a tripod stand built in. Can buy these at Target.

{edit} With 1 mil cp, and up, I think that "shadow" is a bad term, maybe, "not as bright as the bright spots, spots" <grin> Get the idea?

Vector 3 mil CP 2 bulb. - Bright (duh!), has 2 "blue bulbs" but does not appear like the cheap blue bulbs that you see on autos these days. Nice white light. More even beam - large coverage. Heavy. Will stand by itself. Has a "work light" that will give off light for hours. Also has a 12 volt cigarrette lighter plug to actually power other 12 volt devices! Can operate with one or two bulbs. Wish the head was pivitable. NO locking ON/OFF switch. (my model anyway). Target sells these for over 20 bucks LESS than what I paid before Christmas (Target price - 40 something dollars)

Optronics 2 mil CP - Very even, wide, VERY WIDE, beam. I actually like the light of this light better than the Vector 3 mil 2 bulb light. I think that the beam is just as bright, and even wider than the 3 mil vector. NO STAND. Locking ON/OFF switch. Removable battery. Can be used (if the battery is removed) plugged in to the car cigarette plug. Not too heavy to carry around. Again, VERY WIDE, BRIGHT, EVEN SMOOTH LARGE BEAM. I know the CP rating can be swayed into a larger number by creating a very narrow, tight beam, but this is not the case here. Hard to describe how big, even and bright the beam is, it really has to be seen to believe!

I bought my Optronics from Cableas. Target sells Vector, so you could always go there, buy a couple, and keep them if you like them , or return them.

I remember when I got my Vector 1 mil CP light, it stunned me with the brightness, but after getting the 2 mil Optronics, the 1 mil Vector did not impress me as much.

Any one of these is going to have 20-40 minutes of light. You can buy spare Lead batteries for the Optronics, so you could buy multiple batteries, and charge them all up if you needed more power, and you had a way to carry them.

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks budd, i appreciate your input. Does any one out there have an lsi that they could add to the "review" So far the optronics sound very promising...

TrevorNasko

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atlanta, GA>> The Flashlight that was broken shall
mine of course
wink.gif

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have also read, (but have not tried it) that a lot of these lights use standard auto lamps. By making a modification to the light and adding one of those off road 100 W bulbs, you could increase the output even more!

Because after all, sometimes 3 mil candlepower is just not enough, you need that extra "umph" to get you over the edge!

Anyone remember the line in SPINAL TAP?
Most amps go to 10, but where can you go from there? NOWHERE!! My amps go to 11!

Say you in a Guitar solo, and you are at 10and need that little "push" to get you over the edge, if you were at "10" you would have no where to go, but since I have "11", I have that little extra!

"Well, why not just get a more powerful amp, and use that instead?
long pause
"But, these amps go to 11"

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
so i guess if it has 12 volts of lead acid battery and you can replace the bulb with the h-3? automotive bulb it really dosent matter what the case looks like assuming that all of them are reasonably sturdy. Then you could put a 30 or 55or 100 watt bulb in and have three different outputs!!

If you plugged in a smaller bulb like the 30 watt into it would it blow?

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bushman:
If you plugged in a smaller bulb like the 30 watt into it would it blow?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It shouldn't be any problem with blowing by going to a smaller wattage than the standard, because it would draw less power, (assuming the bulb is the same voltage). Going to a higher wattage would be where you may run into trouble, since you may exceed the current rating of the light, and blow a fuse or something.

FluffyGrunt

Enlightened
I have the Vector 3,000,000 Cp and it does throw out a lot of light. There's just something about being able to light up an entire hillside.
smile.gif
It's prolly not the best spotlight as it seems to be cheaper then the Lsi and Brinkmann spotlights, but it seems nice for a little under 50 bucks.