Looking to make bright light

chief

Newly Enlightened
Hello hello. new to the forum.

what i would like to know is how i can make my 4cell mag light brighter. I know they have the LED conversion for around $20. what i want is more bang for my buck (if that is possible). i can solder and am good at customization (done quite a bit of automotive). any help? thanks in advance.

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Chief,

Welcome to the forum.

When you say brighter, could you help us help you by answering the following questions.

1. How much brighter ? 10x 100x ?
2. LED / HID / Incandescent?
3. Possible budget?

Because the guys here on the forum can recommend anything from a $5 drop in to a $500 full all out mod. :D

chief

Newly Enlightened
sorry i wasnt more specific.

not wanting to spend more than $50. if i have to spend a little more i will. by brighter, i mean the brightest possible light output i can get for my price range. as far as bulb type goes, i don't have a preference. i think HID is a little more than im willing to spend. especially if its anything like it is to convert to HID in the automotive world.

i want to retain the focusing aspect of the mag but id like a better flood.

swampgator

Enlightened
chief said:
not wanting to spend more than $50. if i have to spend a little more i will...i want to retain the focusing aspect of the mag but id like a better flood.

First thing that comes to mind is the Mag85. But it's a bit more than $50.

However is you with a tail cap mod you could fit 6 ($30) Sub C cells for a total of 7.2V. This will drive a whole lot different bulbs. Add in a metal reflector ($20). Heavy stipple will give more flood. Then just purchase a charger.

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
for $50 you can go one of these two routes.

1. ROP (incandescent) ... 1000+ lumens
$5 Pelican BigD bulbs
$18 battery adapter
$20 aluminum reflector
* You need to get a different Mag host.

2. Tri-Star Luxeon direct drive ... 240 lumens
$20 3x Luxeon LEDs
$15 3x reflectors
$18 heatsink

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a 4D m@g, and I had 4x NiMH 'D's. I got 4x K2's for about $20, and 4 IMS20 reflectors for about $20. I used a round piece of 4mm thick round aluminum and direct drive them. It pulld about 4.8A and is REALLY bright and will run for 1.5Hrs+. after about 2mins it makes a nice hand warmer.

Jeff

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can find a good Radio Shack store manger you may be able to convince he or she to check with the other store managers in your state to try and locate the discontinued XPR103. If found they can ship them to your local store. They shouldn't work (Xenon) overdriven but they do. pizzaman told us about these. They out-perform anything I've seen in a 4 cell alkaline application. Very white beam.

----------------

Or...

6 Elite 4500 SC $36.00/ CheapBatteryPacksDotCom
1 ROP (Pelican 3854) lamp $5.00/ Lighthound or Brightguy
1 cammed MOP or LS Al reflector $30.00/ They come and go in the GB forum.
1 borofloat window (lens) $5.00/ Lighthound or FlashlightLensDotCom
Your 4D host. Paid for
Charger. $?

These batteries will be 20mm too long but that can handled by a tail cap mod. I have not built this exact light but I built one using the above stuff. See post #4 in The ROP sticky thread. I'm positive it will work in a 4D. You'll probably need to use some vinyl tube or PVC pipe or heater hose to reduce battery rattle.