Awesome HDS Mod by Milky...

russtang

Flashlight Enthusiast
First of all, Sorry, but no pictures.

I received an HDS EDC modded with a cree-xr and the reflector from the Q3.
WHOA! What a difference.

He tried the stock reflector but it had the usual dark "rings" in the beam.
But with the modded Q3 reflector in it the beam is near flawless!
It looks like a Mcr20 with a luxIII but the hotspot is bigger and the spill is brighter.
I am more than satisfied.
The M180 I received was very nice also!
Everyone should have at least one Milky mod.

I think I will have to get me a U60 and some Q3 reflectors for some more Milky Magic.

Last edited:

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Awesome Mod by Milky...

Oh, jeeze, I was waiting for someone to post who is XR-E modding HDS for clients... Now I have to send Milky more of my money... <sigh> but I know it will be well worth it. B120 here I come!

Last edited:

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh Lordy!

What about run times...improved or the same?

Thermal protection...does it run cooler/longer?

Are the lowest settings still low enough to preserve night vision?

What model did you have modded?

CFU

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Danbo said:
Eventually, he's gonna get some of my money too.
wink.gif
smile.gif

I have mental picture of poor old Milky being squashed under an avalanch of HDS lights...
biggrin.gif

CFU

jtice

Flashaholic
and I was just thinking of asking someone to Cree my Arc4+ ! :D
yet another mod I will have to ask Scott about.

~John

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would hate to lose the lowest settings on my HDS, I imagine that would be the side effect of this mod. I like .1 lumens for some applications. Hopefully if Henry incorporates the cree into his new lineup he will retain some of these uber low settings.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed. According to this thread, the Basic low is not the lowest level, so we can set low to a lower level. In a Basic, it just requires 250 clicks to access programming instead of 10 for the Ultimate. Lower than that I don't think is possible without major modification.
leukos said:
I would hate to lose the lowest settings on my HDS, I imagine that would be the side effect of this mod. I like .1 lumens for some applications. Hopefully if Henry incorporates the cree into his new lineup he will retain some of these uber low settings.

Last edited:

dixemon

Enlightened
So hows the brightness in comparison to the old configuration? Beamshots? This sounds very tempting!!

russtang

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sorry but I never have done runtimes or lightbox measurements or anything like that.

I just judge my lights on everyday around the house and outside uses.
I have been known to hunt a whitewall every now and then also.

I modded a B42. I would guess it to be 75-80 lumens now. It is hard to believe the difference.
I have no doubt that the lower levels will still be useable. I have not changed mine from the levels set when it had the stock led in it but I will probably change the low level down one setting.

I dont see how anyone wouldn''t like this mod done to their own HDS.

dixemon

Enlightened
Sounds like a great improvement I wonder how easy the mod is, I have a few Q3 reflectors ands some HDS hosts to play with. Hmmmmm:thinking:

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if this mod would get easier as soon as the Cree XR-E die SSC LEDs come out. They are supposidely the same footprint as LuxI/IIIs. Once those are readly available he'll be getting my light for some surgical enhancements and my $$.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! Uh... here are some answers guys! BTW, this was a really fun mod... especially in seeing how big the improvement was from stock to Q3 reflector! :eek:oo:

Blindasabat said:
Oh, jeeze, I was waiting for someone to post who is XR-E modding HDS for clients... Now I have to send Milky more of my money... <sigh> but I know it will be well worth it. B120 here I come!

:D

Casual Flashlight User said:
Oh Lordy!
What about run times...improved or the same?
Thermal protection...does it run cooler/longer?
Are the lowest settings still low enough to preserve night vision?
What model did you have modded?
CFU

Runtime should be at least as good as with the stock emitter as the Vf seems to be the same or lower.

The Cree should run cooler as it's a more efficient emitter... more of the energy gets converted into photons, and less into heat. Thermal protection should still work fine though as there's still a direct thermal path from emitter to the stock heatsink.

Yes, the lowest settings should be fine with night vision, although I guess to some degree it depends on the individual.

Russtang's HDS was a B42.

Danbo said:
Eventually, he's gonna get some of my money too. ;) :)

Oh no... the local grocery store will get your money when I go to buy the next batch of groceries! Amazing how much three little kids manage to eat. :)

Casual Flashlight User said:
I have mental picture of poor old Milky being squashed under an avalanch of HDS lights...
biggrin.gif

CFU

Walt175 said:
Did anyone else hear that? I think his PM box just exploded! :laughing:

Bring it on! :D

Blindasabat said:
Agreed. According to this thread, the Basic low is not the lowest level, so we can set low to a lower level. In a Basic, it just requires 250 clicks to access programming instead of 10 for the Ultimate. Lower than that I don't think is possible without major modification.

At some point the PWM would end up making the low beam start to look like a really fast strobe light... that's probably the practical limit on how low the light can go.
:shrug:

dixemon said:
Sounds like a great improvement I wonder how easy the mod is, I have a few Q3 reflectors ands some HDS hosts to play with. Hmmmmm:thinking:

Well, it's not particularly easy but if you've got a steady hand, not horrible either. I did the entire mod from the front end of the light... removed retaining ring, lens, O-ring, reflector... desoldered the old emitter from the leads (which snake back into the housing... easy to lose 'em!)... pry old emitter off heatsink (it seems to be epoxied? or maybe just a tight fit) without damaging heatsink surface or anything else... build a pedestal from brass rod cut to precisely the right height... mount Cree on the pedestal, taking care not to short it from the underside... solder leads to the underside so they won't get in the way of reflector... turn down the outer diameter of the Q3 reflector... enlarge the narrow opening a bit... position reflector with electrical insulating material underneath to keep from shorting the emitter... stabilize Q3 reflector so it won't shift... remount O-ring and lens... close the light! :)

tebore said:
I wonder if this mod would get easier as soon as the Cree XR-E die SSC LEDs come out. They are supposidely the same footprint as LuxI/IIIs. Once those are readly available he'll be getting my light for some surgical enhancements and my $$.

I'm really looking forward to playing with those SSC LEDs. Anyone know where they are/will be available?

SCblur

Enlightened
Hey milky, what do you charge for this mod if we supply the HDS light of course? I'm so friggin' doing this. I was going to get a milky ML-1 from you, but I think I'll do this instead. Actually, I'm a flashaholic so that probably means I'll do both.

russtang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea. I did both

plus a Modded KL1

and a M180 mag

and another M180 KL2

and a M360

and a.......

and a.......
SCblur said:
Hey milky, what do you charge for this mod if we supply the HDS light of course? I'm so friggin' doing this. I was going to get a milky ML-1 from you, but I think I'll do this instead. Actually, I'm a flashaholic so that probably means I'll do both.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
iNDiGLo said:
This thread is worthless without beamshots. :grin2:

Such harsh words, indiglo! :ohgeez: ;) But I'll be next to useless for the beamshots because in my haste, I boxed up the light and it flew right out the door, straight to russtang's house! :) Afraid we'll need to rely on him to supply the beamshots. Now the NEXT light someone submits for the procedure, heh heh... :naughty: