MR16 Cree Led Mag Mod?

wesalbert

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking of giving that a try. Just need to order the bulb. Could put in in the light that is 4th from the left. Already have a 50W MR16 in it.

mods1s.JPG

I was also looking at this light
http://cgi.ebay.com/MR16-12-Volt-LUXEON-K2-5-Watt-LED-100-Lumen-Light-Bulb_W0QQitemZ220062016206QQihZ012QQcategoryZ3240QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited:

DMC

Newly Enlightened
Wesalbert,
Is your flashlight a regulated 12v or direct drive?

[font=&quot]I saw the "MR16 12 Volt LUXEON K2 5 Watt" and it is definitely a less expensive solution.

Good luck with the MR16 Mod![/font]

wesalbert

Newly Enlightened
Mine is Direct Drive.

DMC said:
Wesalbert,
Is your flashlight a regulated 12v or direct drive?

[font=&quot]I saw the "MR16 12 Volt LUXEON K2 5 Watt" and it is definitely a less expensive solution.

Good luck with the MR16 Mod![/font]

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
DMC, the only problem with that is the heat from the bulb. Since it does not make contact with the M@g host, life of the bulb is seriously limited. Also the brightness will drop reasonably quickly if you leave the light on for a long time at a time. In anycase, it will make for a good light for a short time. :D

wesalbert

Newly Enlightened
hotbeam said:
DMC, the only problem with that is the heat from the bulb. Since it does not make contact with the M@g host, life of the bulb is seriously limited. Also the brightness will drop reasonably quickly if you leave the light on for a long time at a time. In anycase, it will make for a good light for a short time. :D

It has a polished all metal body with "turbo fin" design. If the whole light is metal, then they will have contact with the head of the M@g and also provide a ventalated heat sink between the bulbs and the head.

Last edited:

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
DMC said:

I have two of those MR16 LED lights. They are cheap Chinese made products . I can assure you they are nowhere near 170 - 200 lumens. More like 60 as it's no brighter than my U bin modified HDS light. My KL6 with a single Cree is at least twice as bright (most likely more). Those MR16 LED's in the link actually use Cree's re-packaged by Seoul Semiconductor. They are Luxeon look-alikes. I will try to get pics up later. (email me if I forget).

They are not worth $50+. I paid less than thirty each and don't think they're even worth that much. Cree led's packaged by Cree still rules. I have yet to see repackaged Crees from the likes of Seoul Semiconductor outperform the XR-E 7090's.

wesalbert said:
It has a polished all metal body with "turbo fin" design. If the whole light is metal, then they will have contact with the head of the M@g and also provide a ventalated heat sink between the bulbs and the head.

Nope. Hotbeam is right. How are you going to make the metal body make good contact with the head. Also, ventilation is non existent without air movement which is the exact situation when you stick that thing inside the Mag head.

Last edited:

wesalbert

Newly Enlightened
CM said:
Nope. Hotbeam is right. How are you going to make the metal body make good contact with the head. Also, ventilation is non existent without air movement which is the exact situation when you stick that thing inside the Mag head.

I figured since a MR16 fits very tightly into my M@g head, that maybe this would also. I do see your point about no air moving through it.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is only the rim of the MR16 (if at all) that makes contact. So it is not enough. Also the Mag head cavity is acting like an oven with the bulb in there.... sloowly cooking... cooking the LED. :D Anyhow, it is probably worth a play. Go and buy the bulb. Afterall, how else will you learn :) You can always use what's left of the bulb as a night light in your house afterwards.

Merry Christmas!

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
hotbeam said:
...You can always use what's left of the bulb as a night light in your house afterwards.

Merry Christmas!

Or swap the three LEDs out with Cree XR-E's :nana: